Law School Discussion

Should availability of housing be a factor?

Should availability of housing be a factor?
« on: October 24, 2005, 10:46:05 PM »
I'm looking to go to law school in either NYC, DC, or Philadelphia.  I'm worried about housing and the cost of living in these cities, however, and I was wondering how much I should be factoring that into my decision making.  I'm considering St John's, Fordham and Cardozo for NYC.  I know Cardozo doesn't even have school-affiliated housing available for their law students.  Should that be a determining factor on whether I apply?

-- kyu

Re: Should availability of housing be a factor?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 11:36:49 PM »
I'm looking to go to law school in either NYC, DC, or Philadelphia.  I'm worried about housing and the cost of living in these cities, however, and I was wondering how much I should be factoring that into my decision making.  I'm considering St John's, Fordham and Cardozo for NYC.  I know Cardozo doesn't even have school-affiliated housing available for their law students.  Should that be a determining factor on whether I apply?

-- kyu

Yes, housing should definitely be a factor.  I would think that St. John's would have a lot of housing available.

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 07:21:36 AM »
Don't make the mistake of forgetting to incorporate the cost of living into your assessment of the cost. Hopefully the school should factor that as well, but we all know that financial aid sometimes seems to think you can survive on nothing.

So yeah, I'd definitely factor housing into the overall costs and decision. University-provided housing isn't important to me, personally, but that's because I really doubt I can live in that housing anymore -- I have pets. You have to be able to live and eat, though.

snikrep

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 06:33:19 PM »
That's what makes me really nervous about the big schools that are all in big cities (Boston, SF, NY, Chicago) - I'm tempted towards UVA or Michigan because the towns are smaller, more "college" feel, and a lot cheaper.

But then again, when we graduate and start at $125k, maybe the cost of living isn't a big factor.

Lucky77

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »
Don't be fooled. Housing in Ann Arbor is ridiculously expensive.