Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: looking for advice re: retaking  (Read 393 times)

toinore

• View Profile
looking for advice re: retaking
« on: October 24, 2005, 05:18:57 PM »
I took the June '05 test and scored 13 points lower than my highest test and about 8-10 points lower than my average.  I knew that I would likely score lower during the real test, but I was thinking more in the 4-6 point range.  Anyway, I ended up with a 161 on the actual test.  Re-took the exam in October, however, I sent in a complaint to LSAC due to a cell phone ringing for about 5 minutes during the games section.  I wasn't really sure what they would do with the information, but I felt that it should be reported.  I received a letter on Saturday saying that due to the disruption they would allow me another 3 weeks to decide if I wanted to cancel my score and that I could re-take in Dec. at no charge.  I am honestly not sure how I did on the test, but I doubt that my score increased substantially (probably did good in RC, ok in LR, and screwed up the games completely).

So, my question is, is it worth it to re-take?  Or should I just suck it up and take the score I got?  Also, with a 161, I will probably still get into my safeties, but with no increase I will NOT get into my targets...

Any advice?  Or any other people in a similar situation feel like commiserating?

Zorak

• View Profile
Re: looking for advice re: retaking
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 05:22:42 PM »
Do you have your october score yet?  How do you think it went?  A cell phone would screw me over...and with more time to prep, I would probably think really hard to retake.

Biggest problem is that it delays your application seriously...

I think it all depends on how you think ocotber went and if you think you can improve again if you take in december.

GL!!
UGPA 3.7/GGPA 3.9/LSAT 169
In: UWashington, Michigan, Lewis and Clark (full ride)
Who knows? Berkeley (how long can this take)

toinore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 05:29:40 PM »
They won't give me my score until I sign a release thingy saying I either want to cancel or I want them to score it.  I am apparently not a good judge of how the test went because in June I was pretty sure I had scored at least a 165...

Also, does anyone know what the scale is for the Oct. test?  I know the June one was pretty screwed up, and if that is the case with the Oct. test as well, I probably didn't score much higher than my original test.  I had two games sections and was excited after the first one because I thought I completely nailed it...then got to section 4 and had another one. Ugh. I think I screwed up the record store game because of the distraction (and that was probably the easiest game, which leads me to think I bombed the section).

toinore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 07:23:01 PM »
anybody?

thescreed

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 02:34:47 AM »
The October scale was basically one point better than the June scale. I think it's impossible to say what to do without knowing for sure how you feel about your score. If you think you did OK, I say stick with this score and save yourself the effort of taking it again. If you're not positive about October, but you're positive you could do better next time, then cancel.

Halo

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 07:44:30 AM »
Retaking is a chance while sticking to an unknown Oct. score is taking a chance.

shoppingaddict

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 10:26:51 AM »

yeah, i would retake i think.

also, i thought i got around a 165 (worst case scenario) on oct and ended up with a 161... i wouldn't take the risk if i were you.
Cardozo '09