Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: my ethnicity  (Read 3332 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: my ethnicity
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2005, 02:54:29 PM »
why do i have to drive 30 minutes to find hair care products? :'(
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2005, 02:55:50 PM »
Wow, you guys have totally twisted pretty much everything I've said.  At a certain point you're going to have to evaluate why exactly you have those chips on your shoulders.  I can assure you that I don't know anyone who sits around thinking that black people don't deserve what they have.   

I would really hope that I would be the type of person someone would go to if they had faced discrimination.  I have no idea why I wouldn't be.  One doesn't need to be black to understand discrimination.  ::)

blk_reign, I said I assumed Penny deserved preferred status over the both of us.  I know nothing about you, and you know nothing about me.  How could either of us assume to know which one of us deserves to go to law school?  Why is it even a competition? 

My point was that just because someone is a minority, it does not mean they have faced undue hardship.  It also doesn't mean that because someone is black, they deserve preferential treatment in admissions processes.  I have no problem with people from difficult backgrounds being given a boost, at all.  I just think you need to explain why.  You can't say, "I am black, that is all you need to know."   

I resent your tone.  who has the chip on their shoulders?  you were the one who came in crying,  don't start whining now.  My point was because someone is black they do and will face undue hardship.  And either way AA is meant to solve a representation problem which will only be solved when we have enough Sonya/Denise and Pennys in the legal field so that this is not even an issue.  

lex19

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2005, 02:58:09 PM »
b/c you're a second class citizen, keeping those locs in shape aren't as important as the latest "how to be a blonde" product, lol.....

and i mentioned chip on your shoulder e, not saxby, blame me...i think, unless he used it in a diff context

lex19

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2005, 03:14:15 PM »
read more clearly saxby, agitator already said where she stands as far as law school is concerned, and this thread is a reason why i don't need to post when AA is brought up b/c neither side see where the other is coming from

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2005, 03:18:55 PM »
she's not worried at all.. she goes to

Agitator, you are the one taking a tone.  I NEVER ONCE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT WHINING.  Get your facts straight or you wont have to worry about getting into law school period, becuase you won't last longer than 10 minutes.  How dare you make such an insulting statement. 

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

lex19

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2005, 03:19:35 PM »
lol

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2005, 03:25:22 PM »
Agitator, you are the one taking a tone.  I NEVER ONCE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT WHINING.  Get your facts straight or you wont have to worry about getting into law school period, becuase you won't last longer than 10 minutes.  How dare you make such an insulting statement. 

You are absoultely wrong to believe that because someone is black they automatically know hardship.  That is not the case whatsoever.  Beliving it to be the case and letting people who are truly suffering to stay there while allowing those who had opportunity and prosperity to benefit from the programs put in place to help those who didn't is just going to keep the problems in this country alive and well.  Advocating for someone to explain their circumstances in exchange for preferential treatment has nothing to do with whining.  It is only logical.     

As for lex, I know racism exists.  I know that lack of opportunity exists.  That is why my point was, from the beginning, that practices that deal with addressing that be left open for those who need it.  It is possible that a minority applicant has not faced the sort of hardship worthy of 10 extra LSAT points, if they have faced any at all.  They don't deserve the same type of consideration as a minority who has, and there obviously isn't enough room to take everyone who applies based on the color of their skin. 

Why is it so difficult to understand that, even among those who are deserving, there needs to be a method of evaluation?  Why everytime someone makes any comment about AA, it immediately turns into that person not understanding racism, not understanding discrimination, their thinking that no minority has ever faced any hardship and their belief that the entire concept of AA should be thrown out the window?  No wonder people avoid those threads like the plague.   

I didn't say you said anything about whining.  I said you sound like you are whining.  Have you taken the LSAT yet?  You may want to brush up on your critical reading skills.  Calm down.

In a country where members of your ethnic group are continuously mistreated, stereotyped, and abused, you automatically face the undue hardship of being relegated with any stereotype.  if such an experience hasn't manifested itself, it will.  it is the nature of how things work.  we do not live in a color-blind society.  sooner or later one's color will come up.  watch crash.  

logical is uprooting the causes that create such a stark achievement gap.  it is working outside the box to come up with creative solutions to improve our K-12 system and work towards a true integration of race and socioeconomic status to create opportunities for individuals to achieve.  it is not requesting someone in 500 words to reveal every harrowing experience they have gone through to be judged by folks who have never stood in their shoes and have no means of judging which sore hurt the most.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2005, 03:27:13 PM »
will you walk out of a courtroom and throw your hands up when you feel that opposing counsel has twisted your argument?

I don't even have a side!  I never said anything against AA!  All I said was that there needs to be a better way to evaluate circumstance than just checking some box.  

I don't know how the hell this train fell off the track, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I guess Yale doesn't have such high standards after all, if their students could take my statements on this topic and somehow deduce that I was calling people whiners.  ::)

And I'm out.  Enough of this jacked up merry-go-round. 

Fare ye well lex and blk!