Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: my ethnicity  (Read 3458 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: my ethnicity
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2005, 02:08:27 PM »
go White Sox...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2005, 02:10:42 PM »
well seeing that neither Denise or Penny received college degrees.. neither one of them will be applying to law school...

as I said before... don't assume that because a person grew up in a two parent home without financial hardships..that everything was peachy...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

lex19

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2005, 02:12:54 PM »
yup
well seeing that neither Denise or Penny received college degrees.. neither one of them will be applying to law school...

as I said before... don't assume that because a person grew up in a two parent home without financial hardships..that everything was peachy...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2005, 02:20:12 PM »
why do you deserve a seat over me?  ???

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2005, 02:23:21 PM »
That's what I said.  AA is a system to make up for underrepresentation in education and the workforce.  I wasn't arguing that point, but other people were by acting as though it should be applied the same to someone who might have been followed around KMart one day and someone who had grown up in the projects with a drunken father who still managed to make something out of their life.  Quite simply, it should not.  

The reason minorities are underrepresented historically is that they weren't given the same opportunities for achievement that would have resulted in their being competitive candidates.  If you have been given those opportunities, then I would find it morally questionable to not remove myself from the competition for AA seats to succeed on my own empirical achievements in favor of someone who is still struggling with the root causes of AA's being necessary at all.

And blk_reign, I never assumed that.  That is why I was saying, explain yourself.  Denise (or lets say Sondra, since she did both), why do you deserve this AA seat over Penny?  If there are circumstances there, explain them.  Don't just realize, even though you may have faced no hardship, that because it'll give you a boost your life story suddenly parallels Harriet Tubman's.   
who says Sondra/Denise should get in over Penny?  they both should get in.
the reason minorities are underrepresented is a combination of both denial of opportunities from both de jure and de facto reasons, I find it ludicrous to suggest that because a person has managed to persevere through obstacles they should then remove themselves from the next leg of the competition.  keep your eye on the prize press on.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2005, 02:26:07 PM »
agreed E... that's another problem.. putting a cap on the amount of African Americans that can get into law school..

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2005, 02:36:25 PM »
I have no idea what you are even saying.  White people aren't just given seats over black people for funsies.  That's as dumb as white people saying black people are taking their seats away through AA.  There is no cap on how many numerically qualified black students can get into law school.  There are, of course, limits on the number of total seats.  They obviously can't just accept everyone who's had it tough in life. 

If I have higher numbers than you and you don't have a compelling life story in comparison to mine, then I guess I deserve the seat over you, but that has nothing to do with anything, and has nothing to do with race.  There are indeed white folks with more compelling circumstances than either one of us, I'm quite sure.  You don't think the white folks they showed on Oprah the other day living in a burned out trailer in the boonies deserve an edge over Sondra Huxtable?  

And how you just assume that Penny didn't go to college.  I have faith in her!  She got there!

Agitator, not every minority has overcome obstacles.  That's what you're not understanding.  Being a minority does not always equal struggle.  There are black law school applicants who haven't faced anything worse than dad finding out they ran too much up on the credit card, and those are not the people who should be benefitting from AA becuase they have had the tools to achieve all along. 

Ok Saxby, perhaps not every minority has overcome obstacles--although I'd venture to guess that we are talking about a pool of about 10, but every minority WILL overcome obstacles. how many black partners do you see around?  right.

lex19

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2005, 02:38:51 PM »
like e or blk said before i doubt you (i'm assuming that you're white) would be the person that a minority would go to when they've faced any type of discrimination....the factis that everyday blacks in this country wake up with a chip on their shoulder b/c we know that there is someone out there who think's we don't deserve to be where we are or to have what we have. and that saxby is something that you will never be able to understand...and this is coming from a black person who has lived a pretty privlidged life and has never been discriminated against directly

Being a minority does not always equal struggle.  There are black law school applicants who haven't faced anything worse than dad finding out they ran too much up on the credit card, and those are not the people who should be benefitting from AA becuase they have had the tools to achieve all along. 

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2005, 02:39:09 PM »
u asked me why I deserved an "AA" seat (assuming that was the sole reason that I got into law school ::) ) over "Penny" I'm asking you why you'd deserve a seat over me.. so in turn what would make you a better applicant than me? what do you bring to the table that I can't?

we've all played the game and we've all had to show "why" we deserve to get into law school.. so to assume that a person doesn't exhibit why they should be admitted based on the fact that they're put in the "AA" box doesn't make much sense to me... aside from whatever addendum or diversity statement that is submitted... we all have a personal statement to submit to the adcomm irrespective of race..

lex19

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2005, 02:52:04 PM »
saxby, a few hundred years of racism, discrimination, and degradation without any significant "sorry, i apologize" is enough for one to have a chip on their shoulders, blacks built this country and can't even get a thank you.....

but this is nothing against you personally, i love white ppl, my best friend is white, but the fact remains that blacks in america are still treated like second class citizens regardless of class do you not agree??