Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how much does it really matter?  (Read 1112 times)

H. Birdman

• flexing flexing flexing flexing
    • View Profile
    • Email
how much does it really matter?
« on: October 24, 2005, 02:51:28 PM »
So, I'm an African American male and you've probably noticed that there aren't too many of use persuing higher education.  So I was just wondering how much of a difference it makes if you are an URM? Does it really increase your chances of admission to a school or not?

allyreese

Re: how much does it really matter?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 02:52:05 PM »
So, I'm an African American male and you've probably noticed that there aren't too many of use persuing higher education.  So I was just wondering how much of a difference it makes if you are an URM? Does it really increase your chances of admission to a school or not?

yes

chrisfield

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 02:56:20 PM »

It matters an incredible deal.  Many will tell you that they will add anywhere between 5-10 points on your LSAT solely for being an african american male.  So...yes.

viridianx

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - viridianx
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 01:08:31 AM »
I think it was something like 8-10 pts for African Americans.  Of course this is on average, so you can't just add 8-10 pts to your LSAT and pretend that's what you have.  But it is DEF a big help.
Attending: UPENN!!!

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 01:32:38 AM »
A big boost.  You're in better shape than you think, no matter what your scores are.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 01:40:01 AM »
I once thought about getting a genetic test that would prove that I'm part American Indian.  Now, mind you, I don't know the first damn thing about being an Indian.  Imagine a white bread like me turning in a genetic test with law school applications.

And, you're asking if it really matters?