Law School Discussion

Ages?

Ages?
« on: October 23, 2005, 06:46:48 PM »
I know, I have alot of questions, and I thank you all for your answers.

I'll be the youngest person in my graduating class in college - I was able to skip my sophomore because I had so many credits. Will being only 20 when I apply hurt my chances? Is anyone else this young in my boat? I'll be 21 by the time I start ls, but everything I've read says the average age for a 1L is 24. Is that right?

Re: Ages?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 06:50:04 PM »
21, but taking a few years off before law school, so probably 24-25 as a 1L

It doesn't matter when you go.. you'll probably be the youngest person in your class.

j.rosh

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 06:50:40 PM »
21, but taking a few years off before law school, so probably 24-25 as a 1L

same here

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 07:14:35 PM »
will be 21 with no time off- I think the only time being young hurts your chances is if you graduated so quickly you didn't have time to get involved on campus. 2 years (before applying) was sufficient time for me to get involved and take on some leadership roles so I wouldn't worry too much if the case is the same for you.

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 07:29:44 PM »
I know, I have alot of questions, and I thank you all for your answers.

I'll be the youngest person in my graduating class in college - I was able to skip my sophomore because I had so many credits. Will being only 20 when I apply hurt my chances? Is anyone else this young in my boat? I'll be 21 by the time I start ls, but everything I've read says the average age for a 1L is 24. Is that right?

One of my friends here (UVA law) was 20 at the begining of the semester, so I don't think your age will be a problem. A lot of people enter law school at 22-23, but 21 is not too bad.

Apples and Oranges

• My puppy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 08:06:49 PM »
Hey -- I'm also graduating in 3 years, I just turned 20 and started my applications. I wasn't too concerned about my age, more about the fact that I've only got 4 university semesters on my transcripts as I apply.  Good thing is that I've got an upward trend, so I think I'll be ok.

- Jess

spud1987

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 07:07:00 PM »
Hey I just found this thread and it is pretty much the position I'm in.  I will be 20 when I graduate and 19 (almost 20) when I start to apply to ls.  I just wonder what effect it will have on my admission chances if any?  I have good work experience (as much as I can being so young haha) and EC's and all that stuff.  What do you guys think?

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 07:08:22 PM »
I kinda of think it'll be an advantage (maybe I'm just hoping so) b/c it makes us look like we've really worked hard to finish early.

spud1987

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 07:27:04 PM »
That's what I'm hoping too.  I thought about taking a year off but I figured I could just get it all done with while I'm so young.  Then again I want to have a normal social life(so far this has been a ok  ;D )The only thing that makes me nervous is that when I apply next fall i'll only have 75 or so credits(need 122 for BS) I'll graduate in time but I am just wondering what the adcomms will think?

Hobert

• Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 07:28:16 PM »
I feel so old...

I turned 27 a little over 2 weeks ago. I am starting to feel old as well. (at least while reading this thread)