Law School Discussion

Should I retake the LSAT?

Brett McKay

• The Frugal Law Student
    • View Profile
    • The Frugal Law Student
Should I retake the LSAT?
« on: October 23, 2005, 06:51:21 PM »
I know several people have already post questions like this, but I was wondering if I should retake. As you can see on my preptests scores, the weeks before the actual test I was consistently scoring in the low 160s. I was really happy with it, because if I were to score a 160-162 I'd be looking at a full tuition scholarship at Tulsa or partial scholarship at Oklahoma. But come test day I scored 157. I missed an unprecedent 19 on LR. My problem is not getting in to the schools I want, my problem is getting the scholarship money I want from them. Is it worth holding my applications in order to take the December test so my chances of getting scholarship money increases or should I just turn them in and take out studnet loans? Or if I were to turn in my applications right now to all the schools I'm thinking about and then take the LSAT in Dec, will they take my score improvement into concideration in deciding scholarship money?
Thnaks.

RockyMarciano

• Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
Re: Should I retake the LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 07:05:52 PM »
What schools are you looking at?

Some schools may offer you a full ride at first and then after that it goes by your performance. So, if you feel confident enough, you may have to fork over 1/2 the scholarship the first year and may receive a 3/4 of a ride during your 2L.

Brett McKay

• The Frugal Law Student
    • View Profile
    • The Frugal Law Student
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 07:14:40 PM »
I'm looking at Tulsa, OU, and Oklahoma City University seriously. Tulsa is my first pick because that's where I want to live and practice. I know they offer full rides for those who score 162 and above. Would it be worth it to take the test again in order to get that kind of score?

Brett McKay

• The Frugal Law Student
    • View Profile
    • The Frugal Law Student
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 08:00:48 PM »
No more advice?

jdw112

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 08:03:28 PM »
I'm looking at Tulsa, OU, and Oklahoma City University seriously. Tulsa is my first pick because that's where I want to live and practice. I know they offer full rides for those who score 162 and above. Would it be worth it to take the test again in order to get that kind of score?

To save 3 years tuition, YES.

good livin

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 08:15:46 PM »
You're asking other people if it's worth it for you to do something?  That's about as stupid as asking a bunch of people applying to law school what your chances are of getting into certain schools.  How are they supposed to know if they are in the same position?  I have no idea what things are worth to you, but I think you really only want some encouragement.  In that case, yes it's worth it.  You can do it!  

jen86

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 10:49:48 PM »
how long can you wait...apply this year and see what you get...if you dont get what you want retake and apply next year...theres less risk but you have to wait longer

RockyMarciano

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 10:08:52 AM »
No more advice?

Sorry dude or dudette. I had to hit up the movies to watch a sorry "Two for the Money" movie. However, if you feel that you can hit that 162 and that these schools will take the higher LSAT then go for it. Just remember, that your application will more than likely be read in early-mid January.

Also, I partially agree with good livin that retaking the LSAT should be your decision and no one elses.

However, asking people about your school list (and not chances) is important because some people do have information regarding accepted students at certain law schools. For example at a law forum I attended, a Stanford representative got bombarded with questions and said that the lowest GPA they took last year was a 3.1. Also, some people on here have friends in certain law schools and know with what score they got in and how much money they received. For example, my friends boy friend got into Stanford with a 163 lsat but the GPA I am not sure of.    

Best of luck though.

jen86

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 11:02:10 AM »
how did you like the movie?

No more advice?

Sorry dude or dudette. I had to hit up the movies to watch a sorry "Two for the Money" movie. However, if you feel that you can hit that 162 and that these schools will take the higher LSAT then go for it. Just remember, that your application will more than likely be read in early-mid January.

Also, I partially agree with good livin that retaking the LSAT should be your decision and no one elses.

However, asking people about your school list (and not chances) is important because some people do have information regarding accepted students at certain law schools. For example at a law forum I attended, a Stanford representative got bombarded with questions and said that the lowest GPA they took last year was a 3.1. Also, some people on here have friends in certain law schools and know with what score they got in and how much money they received. For example, my friends boy friend got into Stanford with a 163 lsat but the GPA I am not sure of.    

Best of luck though.

RockyMarciano

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 11:36:48 AM »
how did you like the movie?

It was ok. Nothing really special. I guess I did not like it mainly because my girl friend wanted to see the movie because of the guy, Matthew Mcsomething. First, he took Penelope Cruz from me and now he is taking my GF.  :'( The man has no boundaries. lol jk