Law School Discussion

Poll

In comparison with last year, are there more or less applicants applying?

Same number as last year
5 (17.2%)
More applicants
1 (3.4%)
Less applicants
23 (79.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: April 21, 2006, 06:23:13 PM

Are # LS apps up or down this year?

Are # LS apps up or down this year?
« on: October 23, 2005, 06:23:13 PM »
With the improving economy, the # of LSAT takers and overall LS applicants has dropped the past 2 years. Any predictions of what this year's app pool will look like? Economy is a little weaker than last year (thanks to hurricanes and oil?) but stronger than 2001. I'd love predictions, as I'm sure lots of others applying this year would. That said, I think the # is almost the same as last year if not very slightly lower.

ChlorasepticRelief

• Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Are # LS apps up or down this year?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 06:33:21 PM »
Compare the number of apps listed in USNWR and the number of apps listed on law schools' applicant profiles for the classes of 2008. For many of my schools, the apps dropped quite a bit last year. I'd assume with fewer LSAT-takers this year, even fewer people will apply.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 06:39:10 PM »
how many people took the Oct lsat this year compared to last year?

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 06:43:20 PM »
"With the improving economy, the # of LSAT takers and overall LS applicants has dropped the past 2 years. Any predictions of what this year's app pool will look like?"

the economy is definitely not improving but i expect the # to be like last year.   

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 06:58:53 PM »
The economy may be slowing slightly right now, but it is most def in better shape than 2002 (the highest year for applications EVER). Plus, there is almost a year lag between economy and LS apps, since most people don't have the opportunity to drop everything and apply- they have to prep for LSAT, get LORs etc. Often, economic downturns (as far as I know here- don't quote me on it) result in a higher % of nontraditional applicants who are under or unemployed deciding to return to school.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 07:03:12 PM »
I love the general optimisim of the poll's reults but if history continues to repeat itself, it's just going to keep getting tougher to gain admission.  It pains me to look at chiashu and see my chances in 2002 compared with today.     

pandabones

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
I love the general optimisim of the poll's reults but if history continues to repeat itself, it's just going to keep getting tougher to gain admission.  It pains me to look at chiashu and see my chances in 2002 compared with today.     

Not true at all.  Apps are not always rising.  There are peaks and valleys, usually tied directly to the general economy.  Using LSAT volume data, you can see the trend here: http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=lsac/tests-administered.asp

We are coming down from the recent peak.  Negative drop in LSAT takers last three test.  No Oct data, of course.

Student quality, however, may indeed be improving (the revised LSAT percentiles seem to indicate this), although I don't have a good explanation for why this is the case.

latinlord

• Attorney at Law in Philadelphia Law Firm
    • View Profile
    • Fundraiser for Nephew who lost both parents
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 10:06:43 PM »
Less total applicantes, but the quality of applicants is up with higher numbers, there for tougher compitition. Either way, schools still get way more applications than seats available. Still it is always nice to see the total numbers going down, it gives up a little optimistic hope.  :D

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 10:17:27 PM »
Can you explain the difference in usage between fewer and less? 

jdw112

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 10:24:25 PM »
Can you explain the difference in usage between fewer and less? 

Reserve less for mass nouns, or amounts--for example, less salt, dirt, water. Reserve fewer for countable things--fewer people , calories, grocery items, suggestions. One easy guideline is to use less with singular nouns and fewer with plural nouns. -- Chicago Manual of Style, 15th Edition.