Law School Discussion

how insane is your yale 250?

Re: how insane is your yale 250?
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 02:28:22 PM »
The goat thing ties into my childhood...I was raised on a farm and had lots of goats, so I always had to eat goat meat, cheese, drink the milk, etc.  (Which I thought was the most disgusting food on the planet). But, the biggest thing was that my mom had a goat that thought she was a person and was incredibly jealous of the fact that I got to sleep in the house.  Because of of her jealousy she would attack me all the time but somehow I would always end up in trouble.  I tried to make it partially humorous..only child deals with sibling rivalry from a goat, and partially serious...growing up poor, etc.

Sounds pretty strange, but I think I tied it together pretty well in the essay.

TXcal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 10:47:50 PM »
I wrote about having big feet. 

:D  Like, special-order big or just size 10 big?

Size 11. I wrote about feeling un-feminine and an outcast, but how they're really pretty and graceful. I also wrote about two different types of shoes I wear: my environmental Birkenstocks and girlie high-heels.  Themes are identity, not being confined to a stereotype, and being comfortable with who I am.  It's pretty light hearted since my personal statement was really serious.

That's a really cool idea--you guys are on fire with the creative 250s! 

TXcal

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2005, 11:00:34 PM »
I've actually already completed mine, too--but it's about an intellectual and personal moment of 'conversion' based on work I am doing in grad school.  So not as exciting as your guys', but it's (I hope) balanced by the more personal optional essay.

stw0522

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2005, 11:07:51 PM »
hmmm, I didn't talk about myself at all in my essay, though i do think that it does say something about me.  was that a mistake?

Karl Pilkington

• Only Ricky and Steve know my secret identity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2005, 07:12:06 AM »
I initially wrote a very straightforward version of my 250, about my experiences taking con law at Yale, etc. I thought it was pretty good, but worried that it was too "safe" after reading the topics of people who've been admitted. I'm kind of a longshot based on GPA (LSAT is above Yale's median), so I feel like I need to do something to catch Yale's attention with my PS. I've written a second essay about how my love for a perennially terrible sports franchise is like having a mental illness. Sounds kinda weird, I know, but I think it turned out pretty well.

Do you guys think that I should go with the weird/humorous topic, or stick with the "safer" one? There is a third option - I got an A+ on a paper I wrote about a particular constitutional issue in my con law class last year, and might be able to adapt that topic into a 250 word essay. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

TXcal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2005, 09:28:06 AM »
I initially wrote a very straightforward version of my 250, about my experiences taking con law at Yale, etc. I thought it was pretty good, but worried that it was too "safe" after reading the topics of people who've been admitted. I'm kind of a longshot based on GPA (LSAT is above Yale's median), so I feel like I need to do something to catch Yale's attention with my PS. I've written a second essay about how my love for a perennially terrible sports franchise is like having a mental illness. Sounds kinda weird, I know, but I think it turned out pretty well.

Do you guys think that I should go with the weird/humorous topic, or stick with the "safer" one? There is a third option - I got an A+ on a paper I wrote about a particular constitutional issue in my con law class last year, and might be able to adapt that topic into a 250 word essay. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Based on just the subject matter, I vote for the sports one.  But a better way of figuring out which one to send would be to bring them all to a trusted, smart professor (or two) at your school for their opinion of the writing, tone, humor, etc. 

Oh--and do a search on LSD for Yale 250 by user maximumtennis* and you'll find an early, draft copy of a Yale 1L's 250 who played it "straight."  It might give you an idea of whether you want to keep the Con Law idea.

chrisfield

• Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2005, 09:34:58 AM »
Mine's not really insane.  Or, I don't think it is.  It's about how I like to carry heavy things.  That isn't insane, right?  It sort of ties in with feminism and queer identity stuff.

You crack me up  ;D

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2005, 09:41:35 AM »
Mine's not really insane.  Or, I don't think it is.  It's about how I like to carry heavy things.  That isn't insane, right?  It sort of ties in with feminism and queer identity stuff.

You crack me up  ;D

Now I'm worried...  Is it that crazy?

chrisfield

• Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2005, 09:43:50 AM »

You crack me up  ;D

Now I'm worried...  Is it that crazy?

No, it's not crazy.  It was saying that carrying heavy things "sort of ties in with feminism and queer identity stuff."  It's just a funny correlation.

jg983

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2005, 11:38:36 AM »

Have you ever seen the female dog and Animal schpiel on "reclaiming female private part?" It's pretty funny. It's about how women should start using the word "female private part" to congratualate on another on their achievements. Like, "Oh, thank you for helping me carry that refrigerator up the stairs. That was such a female private part thing to do."