Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ethnicity?  (Read 1120 times)

LSATFLU

• View Profile
    • Email
ethnicity?
« on: October 22, 2005, 09:17:39 PM »
What if you do not feel Caucasian/White represents your ethnicity. I know this question has probably been beaten to death but I do not associate myself as an anglo-saxon/wasp (your stereotypical caucasian). I also do not feel comfortable being thrown into a European melting pot of "white people" when Sicilian. Could I choose other?

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
Re: ethnicity?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 09:25:12 PM »
You may be able to mark "Other" but i am not too sure.

Also, you can write a diversity statement to the law school to talk about your ethnicity. You can talk about the Mediterranian culture that you grew up in and so forth. I say this because I think you were hinting that you are Sicilian.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

LSATFLU

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 09:38:22 PM »
yes I meant to put since I am Sicilian...ok thanks

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 05:46:20 PM »
I too am Mediterranean and put it on those things. I check other, and I actually make my own box if there is none for other. I feel that white does NOT represent me, since Af Am refused to be segregated and started the civil rights movement, it is our right to also refuse to be grouped together with people who are VERY different than ourselves.

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 08:19:50 PM »
I too am Mediterranean and put it on those things. I check other, and I actually make my own box if there is none for other. I feel that white does NOT represent me, since Af Am refused to be segregated and started the civil rights movement, it is our right to also refuse to be grouped together with people who are VERY different than ourselves.

The Civil Rights movement was to seek equality and to be included within society. It is about obtaining inalienable rights. Not to be separated from other human beings. I think you may be referring to the black conscious movement. It originated in the 1960's as well. Furthermore, some individuals that would fall under the Black Power Movement were actually very critical of Dr. Martin Luther King. To place Dr. Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and others into one big group is the reason for a lot of misconceptions towards the Civil Rights movement. 
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 01:23:06 PM »
No I actually AM referring to the refusal of blacks to be segregated! But thanks for the info:)

I think that people only see things from their own interpretations and those are even just interpretations of thier own interpretations of others words. Leibniz may have been right?

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 04:42:55 AM »
Dude, if you're still stuck on Leibniz, you should probably start reading, oh, maybe everything written in the late 19th century by the German philosophers (Hegel, Nietzsche, Husserl, Heidegger, Gadamer, maybe Jaspers, although that's later), and then again the mid-20th by the French (Barthes, Foucault, Derrida, maybe Deleuze), for starters.

If Liebniz was right, how the hell would he prove it?
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 09:26:00 AM »
I didn't say he WAS, I said maybe, and also, I have read these other philosophers. Just because I mention one does not mean that I am ignorant to anything another says.
Also, what makes you think just because there are philosophers now that they are "finally" getting it right, or that the ones that came before are wrong? I see no reason to believe that.