Law School Discussion

HIGH LSAT/LOW GPA SPLITTERS UNITE!!!!

Miss P

• View Profile
Re: HIGH LSAT/LOW GPA SPLITTERS UNITE!!!!
« Reply #330 on: July 19, 2006, 11:51:31 AM »
174/3.11

I got into Northwestern (the splitter's mecca) a while back.
Just got into UTexas (CA resident)!

Congrats, terpsichore!  Dance, dance!

Where are you going?

dcarealsattaker

• "The Lidgebreaker"
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2006, 09:23:14 PM »
Count me in.  174 / 2.8 from a T10 liberal arts college.  Have several years of policy experience on Capitol Hill and am getting married next year.  Will have roughly 5 years post-college work experience once law school starts.  Also worked throughout college on policy-related political work.  Think I have a pretty solid, interesting resume.

Addressing my GPA in an addendum, but long story short, I battled severe depression for several years that culminated in a semester where I "earned" several F's - completely destroying my otherwise decent GPA. 

Hoping to go to a CA law school (where my fiancee is from and where we likely want to live long term) but most schools on the left coast seem to be pretty unkind to splitters.  From the Midwest (guess where?) so I'm also applying to Chicago, Northwestern, and Wash U.

motorboatinsonofa

• It's all deadly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 20, 2006, 09:06:15 AM »
Count me in.  I think 169/2.97 will qualify...wow the difference between 169/170 becomes much more apparent as a cutoff..

I'd actually like to reach out to everyone with two questions: 

1) Am I casting a wide enough net?  I'll be in-state for GMU, UVA, W+M.

• Umich
  • UPenn
  • UVA
  • Vandy
  • Cornell
  • Duke
  • Georgetown

• W+L
  • Notre Dame
  • UWisc
  • W+M
  • Emory
  • GW
  • George Mason
  • Wake Forest
  • WUSTL
  • UNC-CH

• Villanova
  • American
  • Maryland
  • Richmond

2) My second question is, is it worth it to write an addendum?  My GPA fluctuated based on the courses (Math and Foreign Language Requirements killed me), but in my senior year once I was focusing on my Major and Minor classes, there was significant upward trend (finished with a 3.4).  My major/school is known for not having grade inflation, which will be reflected in my transcript and associated data strip on aggregate undergrad GPA..but I'm apprehensive about writing an addendum without having a solid reason for low GPA (life changing event, sickness, etc.)

Any thoughts to either of my questions would be greatly appreaciated!

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 20, 2006, 09:15:33 AM »
I have absolutely no excuse for my gpa. I was lazy, plain and simple. I'd also have a higher gpa were it not for some very bad math class grades. (WF, F and D, yay.) Everything else on my transcript is Bs and Cs.

And I'm probably going to own up to that in an addendum -- mostly because I'm making the case that all my bad grades were ten years ago, and I've come to appreciate the value of them more in the ten years since.

« Reply #334 on: July 20, 2006, 12:39:03 PM »
newbie here, with a question:

I have a 3.16 GPA from a pretty top tier liberal arts college (because of being premed my first year and thus not doing so hot), and a 178 LSAT...can that get me into a school like Georgetown? BU? I'm asian, so no URM card to play there, but I've got a huge list of ECs, with leadership spots in all of them, lots of job experience while in school, and an honors thesis project.

I'm getting terrified by this numbers game...it seems ridiculous and unfair, but I guess I'm being naive.

Help!

motorboatinsonofa

• It's all deadly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 20, 2006, 02:16:36 PM »

The list is pretty good.  It's certainly plenty broad, if you can afford that many applications.  I think that GW and UNC will be a waste of money, but if it buys you peace of mind, go ahead.  May I ask why you are applying to Wisconsin and not Minnesota? As for the addendum, it's a toss up.  I probably wouldn't write one unless the grade deflation is so severe that your 3.4 semesters earned you Dean's List or something. If you do write it, I can't see it counting against you unless it is done poorly.   

Thanks for your advice vapid!  I definitely will be narrowing it down based on fee waivers and where I get in early.  You're right, I should check out Minnesota.  UNC probably won't make the final cut; I'm based in the DC area right now so GW is appealing to me.

As far as GPA: it's a top 25 school and the dean's list cutoff is 3.0.  Based on 2003 numbers, the average graduate from the university applying to law school applies with around a 3.16 gpa.  I can give you more details if you'd like. Ouch baby, very ouch. I'll be applying with 2+ years of WE so that should help slightly. 

« Reply #336 on: July 21, 2006, 03:29:23 PM »
Count me in: 3.15/170.

I plan to aim high with my apps since this game seems so arbitrary: I'm eyeing Georgetown, NYU, Columbia, UVA and Michigan, among others.  I want to apply somewhere on the West Coast, but it seems like that's not a splitter friendly region.  I think I have some safeties on my list, but it's hard to tell what a safety is when you're a splitter.  I'm guessing this will be an interesting cycle. 

check01

« Reply #337 on: July 23, 2006, 11:11:12 AM »
Count me in here.  Especially since I'm not sure my lone A+ is going to be enough to boost my LSAC GPA up to a full 3.5.  (I graduated with a 3.49something.)

You are NOT a splitter.  Being 1/100 of a grade point from graduating with honors is not a low GPA. Good lord. It almost seems like you posted this to make fun of splitters.  Get out of this thread and never come back!

mobo

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 23, 2006, 08:43:59 PM »
Count me in here.  Especially since I'm not sure my lone A+ is going to be enough to boost my LSAC GPA up to a full 3.5.  (I graduated with a 3.49something.)

You are NOT a splitter.  Being 1/100 of a grade point from graduating with honors is not a low GPA. Good lord. It almost seems like you posted this to make fun of splitters.  Get out of this thread and never come back!

check said it more strongly than i would have...but seriously. those of us with sub 3 gpa's are not going to sympathize with an ALMOST 3.5 gpa, now are we?

Messily

« Reply #339 on: July 23, 2006, 10:35:49 PM »
Yikes.  I certainly wasn't posting to make fun of anyone.  My GPA is about the 25% percentile for most tier one schools, and I'm not one of those "I was an engineering major and so my 3.2 is the top of the class" people.  I was hoping to find a group of people I could identify with a little more than all the overachiever 3.9s, but I guess this isn't it.   :-\