Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Got my score...so depressed...  (Read 6105 times)

TwoStepsBack

• View Profile
Got my score...so depressed...
« on: October 22, 2005, 11:46:35 AM »
Hey, sorry to make my first post to the forum one where I ask for advice, but I've been really depressed since I got my score last night.

I've got a 3.8 from Bard College and my practice LSATs were 163 and 165, and I was continuing to improve right up to the test day.  My score came back:  159.  On my answer sheet, I saw that every question I wasn't 100% sure about I had gotten wrong.  Of the two games sections, the worst one (where I actually had the nightmare filled-in-the-ovals-wrong scenario play out) turned out to be the real one.

I wanted to have a chance at Columbia or NYU, basically my dream schools, but obviously I can't with what I have now.  Should I retake again in December to try to get in for Fall '06 still?  Should I wait, study, and take it in June '06 for Fall '07? 

Honestly, I don't even know what to say...

Anyone spare any kind of advice at all for me?

pinkdcgal

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Got my score...so depressed...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 03:21:56 AM »
I've been advised that if you think you can improve considerably (10+), then you should definitely take it again. Since most schools average, it wouldn't really be worth it unless you were to make significant improvement so that the average score is more in the range you were looking for originally. I hope this helps. Good luck!

pink

TwoStepsBack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 01:01:49 PM »
Hey guys--  Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it. 

I'm sure that I can improve at least 6-8 points, just based on my practice LSAT scores, and hopefully more.  The way it's looking now is that I will put off law school for another year and take it again in June '06.

I just ordered the Powerscore "Bibles" that are so often mentioned by a few people on these forums.  I previously went through the "Master the LSAT" book.  Any other study aides you guys would recommend?

Thanks!!

be10dwn

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 01:10:19 PM »
Hey, sorry to make my first post to the forum one where I ask for advice, but I've been really depressed since I got my score last night.

I've got a 3.8 from Bard College and my practice LSATs were 163 and 165, and I was continuing to improve right up to the test day.  My score came back:  159.  On my answer sheet, I saw that every question I wasn't 100% sure about I had gotten wrong.  Of the two games sections, the worst one (where I actually had the nightmare filled-in-the-ovals-wrong scenario play out) turned out to be the real one.

I wanted to have a chance at Columbia or NYU, basically my dream schools, but obviously I can't with what I have now.  Should I retake again in December to try to get in for Fall '06 still?  Should I wait, study, and take it in June '06 for Fall '07? 

my only thinking on this is that you only took two practice exams.  When I took the LSAT, I had taken like 15-16 I think and my scores improved the most after about ten.  Its all about getting to know the test.  I had a point after I think 5 tests where my scores actually went down for three in a row, then bounced to the highest level, which is right around where I scored on the real thing.  I would suggest that you buy one of the 10 LSAT test practice books, take them all, CORRECT EACH ONE and learn why you made the istakes, and then judge where you stand.  Like another poster said, if you had significant improvement, why the heck not take it again?  If you dont, be heppy with your score because it was only like what, 6 points lower than your highest practice test.  I have zero doubt that you'll get into a good school next year, unless your goal is what everyone's goal on here seems to be, HYS.

Eptisam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 01:58:02 PM »

Did you only do two practice LSATs?

TwoStepsBack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 07:14:03 PM »

Did you only do two practice LSATs?

I did in fact only do two timed practice tests.  All told, I started studying about three months before my test date, and studied maybe 60 hours total.  I didn't see this message board until after I had already received my score, but I see that yes, two was just not enough. 

You guys always do your practice tests timed, I presume? 

Also, I've seen books with 10 practice tests, but the one I picked up and looked at didn't seem to have any explanations, just a short answer key.  Any recommended that have explanations?

(If this 'horror story' post is veering into general LSAT discussion and this is the wrong board, I'd be happy to move it)

Thanks!

Eptisam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 12:52:03 PM »

I did in fact only do two timed practice tests.  All told, I started studying about three months before my test date, and studied maybe 60 hours total.  I didn't see this message board until after I had already received my score, but I see that yes, two was just not enough. 

You guys always do your practice tests timed, I presume? 

Also, I've seen books with 10 practice tests, but the one I picked up and looked at didn't seem to have any explanations, just a short answer key.  Any recommended that have explanations?

(If this 'horror story' post is veering into general LSAT discussion and this is the wrong board, I'd be happy to move it)

Thanks!

In my humble opinion, doing only two timed practice test is clearly insufficient.

If I were you, I would defer all my applications for a year. I would take a good class, and I would do every single LSAT test out there, timed.

In my case, what I did was doing all the tests using a timer. Sometimes, I would do one section at a time, and sometimes I would do the whole test with no breaks. I only did self-study (while working full time).

As for the material, the best starting point is all the official LSAC books, such as http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0942639898/qid=1130694581/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6834883-2468035?v=glance&s=books&n=507846.

You should also use good material coming from someone else than LSAC, take a look at the other recommendations elsewhere.

If you score really high the second time, you might be able to get into a top school, although with a 159 it's going to take a lot to get into a good school.

ellie55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 12:09:53 PM »
i would second the taking classes thing, especially if you are delaying your test until june.  take a class during the winter, and then study on your own for about three months. I took testmasters and they were awesome. not only do the classes help with strategies, etc, but they provide free past LSAT exams as practice tests to take proctored and also on your own. 
In: Illinois, WUSTL, Wisconsin, Emory, Minnesota, Vanderbilt
WL: USC, Hastings

Most likely attending: Vanderbilt?

brody

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 11:14:08 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that

I'd study study study for the next year (books, classes, whatever you can find) and try to pick up some other things that will look good on your application as well.

Good luck to you!

TwoStepsBack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 11:41:55 PM »
I took testmasters and they were awesome. not only do the classes help with strategies, etc, but they provide free past LSAT exams as practice tests to take proctored and also on your own. 

Thanks for all the advice everyone--I'm very lucky to have found this forum.

I admit, I've heard a lot of skeptical things about the classes.  People are recommending them often here, so I think I'll have another look.

As it is, this is my plan:
4 hours of study per week
3 practice tests per month

Maybe I'm stating the obvious when I say this, since I get the impression this is a very common thing, but I very nearly aced all sections besides the games section.  On the games section however I was unlucky enough to do worse than 'chance' (i.e., less than 1/5th of the answers correct--a pretty heartbreaking outcome since my average for the games section on the practice tests was maybe 10-15 correct.). 

So, I know there are a lot of games prep books, many of which I own of course, but for all of you that have 'mastered' the games section through hard work or skilled study, or at least have it under control:  any of your own, personal advice to give on how to best study for it in particular?

Thanks again everyone.