Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: law classes  (Read 3156 times)

babz03

• View Profile
law classes
« on: March 06, 2003, 02:13:26 PM »
hey-
ill be graduating from high school in may & starting college in the fall. ill be  majoring in political science & hopefully going starting law school as soon as i graduate  college. so anyway i was planning to specialize in business law. i was wondering if i would have classes in any of the following areas:
 economics
 bankruptcy
 insurance
 property/real estate
 taxes
 antitrust/trade
...seeing as they are all specialties themselves.
~another question~to be a corporate lawyer, do you have to  specialize in business law?
*any information is helpful* :)

MikieP4121

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: law classes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 12:07:33 PM »

When you get to law school you will learn those areas in a completly different way, so unless you are really interested in those subjects you don't really need to take them with one exception: Economics.  Make sure you REALLY understand Micro and Macro economics because thats what Torts is all about. Poly/Sc is a good degree for a law student. Don't leave school without learning how to give a speach.

The question about a corporate lawyer: the only thing you need to be a corporate lawyer is to get into a really good law school or one in a big city.  Corporate law firms care less about what classe you have taken. they care more about what grades you get in your first year of law school.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
Re: law classes
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 03:33:24 AM »
I have a different perspective on economics.  While tort law can be analyzed as nothing but economics, you can also view the cost benefit analysis as a pluralist consequentialist device (which is really what you have when you're measuring efficiency, equality, wellbeing, and economic cost to make a decision).  So philosophy can be very useful to an aspiring lawyer.  Of course, I'm biased as a philosophy with law concentration major. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.