Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admissions calculators  (Read 280441 times)

jblue84

• View Profile
Admissions calculators
« on: October 22, 2005, 09:18:33 AM »
Hey, do you guys have the links to any good admissions probability calculator.  I was specifically looking for the one that gives you a decimal probability, but couldn't seem to find it anywhere.
Thanks for you help

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: Admissions calculators
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 10:47:38 AM »
What a good question.

I have no problem with all the "what are my chances" threads, but if people could check with the calculators first and then post those numbers along with soft factors, it would be a lot less effort for the rest of us.   ;)

http://www.chiashu.com/lsat.html

http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx?SidString=

There's also this site, which lists not probabilities, but where your numbers fall relative to the school's medians:
http://www.lawschoolstats.com/cgi-bin/cgi/index2.cgi

And in case anybody's missed the links on half our profiles, there's always the anecdotal "evidence" of law school numbers: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 10:49:56 AM »
I'd just recently realized how many fake posters there were on LSN, which really threw off my own speculative calculations. Consider yourselves warned.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 10:52:42 AM »
I'd just recently realized how many fake posters there were on LSN, which really threw off my own speculative calculations. Consider yourselves warned.

There are certainly plenty of fake posters, but I tend to feel like there aren't enough in the middle ranges to really skew the results (there are a lot of 4.0/180s, and a handfull of 2.0/130 types who claim to be in at HLS, but those are easy to ignore).  Of course, I tend to search for people with stats similar to mine and see how they fared, so I'm looking at each entry pretty closesly, and that makes it easier to spot and ignore the fakes.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 11:05:34 AM »

There are certainly plenty of fake posters, but I tend to feel like there aren't enough in the middle ranges to really skew the results (there are a lot of 4.0/180s, and a handfull of 2.0/130 types who claim to be in at HLS, but those are easy to ignore).  Of course, I tend to search for people with stats similar to mine and see how they fared, so I'm looking at each entry pretty closesly, and that makes it easier to spot and ignore the fakes.

Exactly.  Besides, it's usually pretty easy to pinpoint the fakes.  They all tend to be from Alaska.   :D
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 11:44:38 AM »
True. You should always look at more than GPA/LSAT on LSN to weed out the fakes. Are they from Alaska? Was it a fake account created that has no information? etc

LSN can be a great research tool. But as dividebyzero suggests, one should be careful.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 01:45:53 PM »
I'm sorry, if you're not an Ubermensch, you're going to have to leave.

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - steve112sms
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 01:53:55 PM »
I don't really like admissions calculators much. For one thing, they don't take into account the date you apply, so it's including the numerous people with your numbers who applied in Jan/Feb which will make odds seem worse. For another thing, it doesn't really seem like it actually shows you the odds for those exact numbers, but rather uses a formula which might not be best for minor splitters and so forth. I'd rather use LSN myself. Yes, some people lie, but I doubt most people would lie about a 168/3.8. I don't really see what the point would be.

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 02:23:59 PM »
maybe im just getting disillusioned by all of the conflicting info out there, but it seems like all of these calculators try to make sense out of what nobody can know.  even the admit/deny grids on aba seem hard to believe.  campbell, a tier 3, shows just 7 of 12 people in the 160-65/3.0-3.24 block getting in.  much less than virtually all tier 2 schools and similar to some tier 1s

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 02:29:06 PM »
maybe im just getting disillusioned by all of the conflicting info out there, but it seems like all of these calculators try to make sense out of what nobody can know.  even the admit/deny grids on aba seem hard to believe.  campbell, a tier 3, shows just 7 of 12 people in the 160-65/3.0-3.24 block getting in.  much less than virtually all tier 2 schools and similar to some tier 1s

You're misreading the grid.  Those are 7 out of 12 applicants who were admitted.  That does not mean that they weren't accepted.  More likely, the other 5 took their business somewhere else after they were accepted at Chapman.