Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admissions calculators  (Read 268367 times)

SCgrad

Re: Admissions calculators
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2005, 06:14:21 AM »
Yeah, maybe it is similar, I was trying to point out that no matter how much you analyze you can't know anything for sure (I even noted that my logic was surely flawed as well).  You canít beat the game so to speak.  I agree with you though, use them as a guide.  I too agonize over this *&^% because I suffer the same affliction.  I think we are on the exact same page, and I am almost positive it is correct.

SkullTatt

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2005, 03:48:45 PM »
It would be nice if schools disaggregated their URM and non-URM admissions indices, but that would send a catastrophically incorrect message about what aa is intended to do.

I know... I tend to assume 25th percentile and down is URM. That is kind of rude but the schools won't give us any better data.

Thikighoros

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2005, 04:59:24 PM »
It would be nice if schools disaggregated their URM and non-URM admissions indices, but that would send a catastrophically incorrect message about what aa is intended to do.

I know... I tend to assume 25th percentile and down is URM. That is kind of rude but the schools won't give us any better data.

I agree, but I would modify your statement, 25th percentile and below may be predominately URM's but not exclusively so. Plus an applicant may have something (could be anything) that made up for an his/her lackluster data.

As for the accuracy of the site:

The site uses an index dated from 2000!

Although most schools have not radically changed their admissions policies sicnce 2000, a lot has changed since then. If I took an LSAT in that year, it would be discounted today, however, it may be counted into index's system.

As with other admissions calculators, take the information with a grain of salt.
I look forward to the day that I could say (God willing):

Είναι δικηγόρος στρατιωτικός.
(I am a military lawyer).

www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Thikighoros

SkullTatt

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2005, 05:13:24 PM »

What site are you referring to, lawschoolstats.com? That's not accurate, it uses the most current indexes published on LSAC.org, and only uses older ones if the school is no longer publishing theirs.

JCD

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2005, 04:30:05 AM »
It might use the most updated indexes but the 25th/75th are old. Harvard's most recent LSAT is something like 170/176, whereas lawschoolstats shows 169/174.

SkullTatt

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2005, 01:52:55 PM »
The numbers are not updated to the most current, up-to-the-moment numbers that schools are currently posting on their websites, if that's what you are asking.

Thikighoros

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2005, 03:47:08 PM »

What site are you referring to, lawschoolstats.com? That's not accurate, it uses the most current indexes published on LSAC.org, and only uses older ones if the school is no longer publishing theirs.

You may right in a sense because there would be no need to distinguish (v.i., in bold) if they didn't use a more recent index. The only problem is that the site doesn't do a very good job in telling from what year does the index's data compute.

This is from the calculation page listed below. There, you will see this at the bottom of the page:
NOTES:
* No index formula available for 2005-06, formula used is from 2000.
ß No index formula available, index was estimated based on top 6 schools.
◊ No index formula available, index was estimated based on top 25 schools.
φ No index formula available, index was estimated based on median of all schools.

Here are the pages:
The The calculation page:
http://www.lawschoolstats.com/cgi-bin/cgi/index2.cgi
Information on the Index:
http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/prelaw/adminstart.htm
Comments on the indices used:
http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/prelaw/indexcomments.htm

The only sure cutoff point that it has is 2000. It goes onto great detail about the differences between the pre-2000 LSAT scores and their effects on the index. But there's nothing on scores and indexes after 2000. 

Even the places with the most accurate information (for example, LSAC's online and printed guides) use data from the 2003-2004 application/admissions cycle. The site may be using data from the same cycle, but it is hard to discern. (I've looked everywhere on the site, and I can't find anything there that would disprove what I have said).

I look forward to the day that I could say (God willing):

Είναι δικηγόρος στρατιωτικός.
(I am a military lawyer).

www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Thikighoros

SkullTatt

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2005, 03:54:33 PM »
No, that means schools marked with an asterisk are using data from 2000.

Anything without an asterisk or other funny mark is using data from the LSAC's Official Guide to ABA-Approved Law Schools, 2005 Edition. I typed it all in!

!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2005, 05:29:25 PM »

Outstanding!   :D

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2005, 08:32:57 PM »

The logic is quite simple. If I know that Harvard admits roughly 40% of the non-URM applicants with similar indexes, I know that I will probably be admitted as long as the nonquantative aspects of my application are superior to the 60% that don't get admitted. .

Given that I'm well aware my nonquantative aspects probably fall into the bottom half, I know that I probably won't get in despite the predictions of overly optimistic admissions calculators.

Youre proving my point.  You can only estimate your soft factors if they arent in the middle