Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admissions calculators  (Read 287811 times)

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Admissions calculators
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 12:56:18 PM »
Sugersh, you are so money and you don't even know it.

VEGAS BABY, VEGAS!
Boalt 1L

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 01:37:29 PM »
Sugersh, you are so money and you don't even know it.

VEGAS BABY, VEGAS!

I'm not entirely sure what that means.  Thank you?  I think...

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 01:39:23 PM »
It's from Swingers. Basically, it means you're thebomb.com...
Boalt 1L

SkullTatt

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2005, 02:36:15 PM »
You're misreading the grid.  Those are 7 out of 12 applicants who were admitted.  That does not mean that they weren't accepted.  More likely, the other 5 took their business somewhere else after they were accepted at Chapman.

That is wrong. Those grids on the Law School Descriptions on LSAC.org are using "admitted" to mean "accepted." They would use "enrolled" or "matriculated" if they meant people actually attending.

That is why the grid is called an "Applicant Profile," not an "Enrolled Student Profile." It wouldn't make any sense to show number applied / number attending. What use is that?

A quick way to check this is to look at the UC Davis Law School Description PDF. It shows a total of 4510 applicants, 842 accepted. This is pretty much an exact match to UC Davis' data for "# of apps" (4439), and "# of admits" (843) on their ABA Law School Data PDF.

On that sheet is an additional number, 194, for "# of matrics," i.e. the number of people among those who were accepted who are actually attending.

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2005, 04:43:53 PM »
so basically Campbells is way off.  if not, theyre more selective than many tier 1s

RocketBot

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2005, 06:59:44 PM »
maybe im just getting disillusioned by all of the conflicting info out there, but it seems like all of these calculators try to make sense out of what nobody can know.  even the admit/deny grids on aba seem hard to believe.  campbell, a tier 3, shows just 7 of 12 people in the 160-65/3.0-3.24 block getting in.  much less than virtually all tier 2 schools and similar to some tier 1s

You're misreading the grid.  Those are 7 out of 12 applicants who were admitted.  That does not mean that they weren't accepted.  More likely, the other 5 took their business somewhere else after they were accepted at Chapman.

No.  You're reading it wrong.  I have the ABA book in front of me.  For each school it says "number of applicants" and "number admitted"...  admitted 100%, for sure, omg, does *not* mean "attending*, I have no idea where you got that from.

The word is matriculate, for those students who accept an offer of admission.  That means they enroll.

As proof that you are wrong, look at UCLA's grid.  If you total up the "# of admits" for each category, it comes out to 965.  However, their 1L class size is 300.  Where did those extra 600 students go?  Is there a black market underground UCLA law school which secretly educates 1Ls?  No-- they went to other law schools.

edit: Hi Bonkers, how ur post. ;D

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2005, 08:27:40 PM »
Looks like I was talking out of my ass.  You guys win.  ;D

I probably should've checked the site first.  Bonkers is right.  "Admitted" means "accepted", but not necessarily "attending".  "Matriculants" means "attending".  I wonder if any of this takes withdrawals into account, though.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2005, 08:54:52 PM »
One quick comment/warning about admissions calculators: they are often a few years outdated (ESPECIALLY for up-and-coming schools- ex: Florida State U). According to quite a few of these calculators, either I shouldn't be at all worried about admission, while I think the chances are more like 50/50. So that's my warning  :-\

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2005, 08:58:13 PM »
I think the LSAC's indicator might be pretty good. It came out about right for all my friend's decisions when he applied last year. That's pretty anecdotal though.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2005, 10:20:34 PM »
I think the LSAC's indicator might be pretty good. It came out about right for all my friend's decisions when he applied last year. That's pretty anecdotal though.

There's also the problem that in retrospect, it's never *really* going to be inaccurate, because even if it only gives someone a 1% shot at a school, that person getting in doesn't disprove it (as long as at least 99 other people with the same stats got rejected).

It isn't like you can get 53.25% accepted at NYU and only 46.51% accepted at Columbia.