Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How extensive do they do background checks for the bar exam?  (Read 4551 times)

powersx2

• View Profile
    • Email
How extensive do the bar exam board do background checks for the bar exam?  What do they do to check? Do they do things such as give lie detector tests? Are the only tests they check the lsats to the bar exam test?

ruskiegirl

Re: How extensive do they do background checks for the bar exam?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 05:15:18 AM »
How extensive do the bar exam board do background checks for the bar exam?  What do they do to check? Do they do things such as give lie detector tests? Are the only tests they check the lsats to the bar exam test?

sounds like someone has a guilty conscience. ;)

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 09:32:09 AM »
consensus is that you really cant hide anything.  just put it all out there and I am pretty sure if you have a recent clean track record (5 years or more) you will be ok.  this is just my opinion based on the research i have done in the somewhat vague and mostly anecdotal information available on this topic.

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 02:42:00 PM »
I think the consensus is that it is not worth the risk of hiding something.  Who wants to find out after 3 years of LS that they should have told someone about their past and now you can't practice law?

Lipper316

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 12:30:48 AM »
LOL! no, they do not give lie detectors.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 12:56:25 AM »
An older attorney friend of mine said that I would be an excellent candidate for an attorney position with the FBI because of my background.  I went to the FBI site, went through their screening process, was told not to lie on any questions because they WILL be giving lie detector tests.  One of the questions is have you smoked marijuana more than 15 times in your life.  Ummmm duh, did that before I was 18.  So I answered yes, and the FBI system has my social security number, and said I would not be allowed to work in any department of the FBI.  The bad thing is I haven't smoked since I was 20, and don't really like the drug, so I never will. I bet at least 1/4 of the current FBI staff smokes pot regularly.  Sucks, but I had to tell the truth.  Like averybody says, don't go through the whole process and have something come back to haunt you. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

Lipper316

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 11:49:23 PM »
Yes, because snce u smoked more than 15 times, u definitley will NOT make a great FBI agent. God, I hate the bureaucracies (spelling?) of this country.