Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dual Degrees on LSDAS  (Read 2834 times)

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Dual Degrees on LSDAS
« on: July 03, 2004, 02:03:24 AM »
I have a problem that I was wondering if I could get some help with.  I have two Bachelor's Degrees: a B.S. in Mathematics and Computer Science (2 different majors) and a second B.S. in Psychology.  I obtained these simultaneously in August 2003.  When I try to register for LSDAS, I can only seem to report one of these degrees.  It will let me list more schools or graduate degrees, but I can't seem to register my second degree.  I obviously want it listed if possible, as having 2 degrees is the reason why I was an undergrad for 6 years.  Any help would be great, thanks.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dual Degrees on LSDAS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 03:14:38 AM »
Not sure if this will affect LSDAS, but try this:

www.lsac.org
click on Online Services
click on Profile
click on Academic
if both of your majors aren't listed, click on Modify, and then fix it.

LSDAS hasn't received my last transcript, so I don't even know what the academic report thing looks like or anything.  If the above idea doesn't work, then I have no clue.  Try calling or e-mailing them, I guess.

Good luck!
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 03:26:57 AM »
It's not getting a second major on that I have a problem with, it's that I have three majors.  Two on one degree and one on another.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 03:40:44 AM »
I realized I wrote the wrong number at I had already clicked to post...  But either way, my suggestion didn't work, I take it?  I guess you should contact LSAC then.  I had two majors, two degrees, and both of mine are on my academic profile.  We'll see if it makes it onto my LSDAS report.  I don't see why it wouldn't as long as they were all listed on your transcript, though.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 04:36:10 AM »
Yeah, I sent them an email earlier today.  I just wanted to see if anybody here had 3 majors and knew how.  That and I don't know how long it will take LSAC to respond.  Oh, well.  Just getting antsy to start this application thing up since I got my score back today.

dta

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 10:52:16 AM »
I have a similiar situation. A B.A. in 1993 w/ a double major in math/phil from Univ. of Houston. Then, in 1997 a 2nd BA from UT w/ major in comp sci from UT. I remember reading the directions when entering my information. You have to enter the 2nd degree as a "graduate" degree even though it's an undergraduate degree. Somewhere i remember reading "if you have a 2nd undergraduate degree enter it as a graduate degree".

Anyway, i've now got both up on LSDAS just fine, so it can be done. However, there are 2 salient difference that might be causing you problems. My 2 degrees were from different institutions (yours from the same - maybe causing LSDAS to not see them as distinct?) and were given at different times.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 11:23:28 AM »
Your first BA is all that counts towards your LSADAS GPA.  You can include your other GPA on your app (and I would HIGHLY reccomend that you attach an addendum explaining why exactly you choose to get two BA's).  If you really did get both degrees conferred at the same time, then you should obviously list the BA which you had a higher GPA with as your primary UG degree.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 02:18:53 PM »
So I just choose a degree to show on LSDAS?  I will obviously show the Math/Comp. Sci. degree over the Psychology degree, but will law schools see that I had a third major.  The only reason I have two degrees is that my university doesn't give more than two majors under one degree, so my advisor said the best thing to do was get a second degree.  This did mean that I needed 180 credits instead of 120, which very much explains my 6 years in college.  Why did I get three majors . . . well, that one is going in my personal statement.  I just want to make sure my undergraduate career is fully represented because it was all in my undergraduate career.  I took classes in all three majors concurrently and earned both degrees on exactly the same day.

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 01:17:00 PM »
So I just choose a degree to show on LSDAS?  I will obviously show the Math/Comp. Sci. degree over the Psychology degree, but will law schools see that I had a third major.  The only reason I have two degrees is that my university doesn't give more than two majors under one degree, so my advisor said the best thing to do was get a second degree.  This did mean that I needed 180 credits instead of 120, which very much explains my 6 years in college.  Why did I get three majors . . . well, that one is going in my personal statement.  I just want to make sure my undergraduate career is fully represented because it was all in my undergraduate career.  I took classes in all three majors concurrently and earned both degrees on exactly the same day.

In this case, I would definitely call (not email) LSAC and explain the situation to them. From what I understand, they should both count towards your LSDAS GPA since neither one came first. I'm sure this has happened before, double degrees are fairly common these days. They'll work it out.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 04:22:48 AM »
Yeah, I called today, but it was a holiday for them.  Tomorrow I'll let you all know what I find out in case somebody else is in my position.