Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do I get from high school to law?  (Read 12038 times)

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: How do I get from high school to law?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2003, 12:27:47 PM »
As I am sure you highscoolers have heard before I will just change it up a little bit what you need to become a lawyer is:

Good Highschool Grades
Good College grades with a varied course of study nothing in particular makes you a better applicant.  But despite what may or will hear Criminal Justice or Political Science majors is not always the best major to have becasue you want to impress law school admissions comittees with grades.  And the only way to get good grades is to study what is of most interest to you.  And also offers a unique application when you untradittionally major in Inorganic Chemisrty and do well.

The next step is to apply to Law School early easily put "the earlier the better becasue there are most definitely applicants scratching for your spot at the top choice law school of yours better to make an impression in the first 10 applications than the mid 900th one.

PS make sure and get into a legal field way before applying it shows perservearence.
Hope this helps. Have FUN Study HARD!
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

beninoregon

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2003, 10:56:11 AM »
One piece of vital advice for law school bound high schoolers:

Get a full ride scholarship when you go to college!  Yes, thats tough, but if you are still in HS, you have TIME to go for it.  Volunteer, do music, make yourself distinct NOW.  Get a full ride scholarship.

Then, when you are applying to law schools, you can feel happy that you have NO debt yet.  Because you are certainly going to get one in law school!

I know its kind of funny to be talking to kids about debt... but that is the sad state of affairs in our country.  So, avoid loans in undergrad if you can.

or win the lottery after you turn 21.
--Ben--
 --1L--

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2003, 07:04:12 PM »
Good advice, this is definitely a crucial point to cover. Don't be like several of us prospective law students and bog yourself down in premature debt.  Getting a tuition waiver (full ride scholarship) is the best thing you can do at this point in your lives.  At least get good enough grades to graduate in te top 10% of your graduating class (summa cume laude) then you are atonatically going to recieve a merit based scholarship to a state and sometimes regional institution. Good luck at fulfilling all of your aspirations.  :) ;) ;D
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2004, 12:54:30 AM »
Steps from HS to LS:

1) You graduate college and are unemployed for several months with your liberal arts BA, which seemed like a really good idea at the time

2)  Employers have been telling you that they'd "really like to hire you but ...." your GPA is too high, which  means you're likely to leave for a better position or grad school. However, since better positions have been outsourced to India that's a non-issue. You begin to consider grad school until the economy improves.

3) You lack the qualifications for Med School.

4) You arrive at the realization that the PhD you were thinking of getting in that field that actually interests you, means living on welfare for the next several years.

5) You apply, then enroll in law school.

MikieP4121

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 11:58:30 AM »
if i had it to do over again i would apply to a law school that allows Junior year transfer.  a lot of schools do allow that. also there are even some law school that let sophmores in (if you have a good GPA and LSAT) 

Classes to take:  Hard Math classes that make you think abstractly,  and writing classes.  Also if you are not a prolific reader learn how to read for 8-10 hours.  reading cases is interesting but make sure you can read for a whole day nonstop.

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2004, 05:42:13 PM »
It is incredible that all of these high schools offer law classes! I definately did not have that opportunity in HS!We dont even have an abundance of law classes at my university!
so  WOW!

Laura Ross-Definately join the debate team--i did it throughout high school and it earned me a great scholarship to college(but then i transferred!)--it builds your reasoning skills which are really helpful for your LSAT..( that portion of the test was always my strongest, and I never actually had to study for that part because of debate)--and finally, its a lot of fun  :D! I just met up with one of my old debate buddies from my freshman year at camp last weekend (we've now been friends almost 7 years) and I studied abroad in england last year and I knew 3 people in my program and at a local school that I knew from camp years ago!
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 05:13:20 PM »
Take whatever you want in high school, get whatever grades you want, as long as you get in to college. That's all that matters -- although a better college will help out later on.

In college, take whatever you want, but you need really good grades -- ie. 3.5 GPA.

AubunChick, how in god's name did you get in to stanford with 3.3 158?

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2004, 05:22:14 PM »
God, there still nope! 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

nika22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2004, 05:23:55 PM »

AubunChick, how in god's name did you get in to stanford with 3.3 158?

i believe that's a SAMFORD, not stanford

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2004, 05:46:58 PM »
D'oh.  I'll see you in TTT. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.