Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does lawschools consider your final semester gpa before making a decsion?  (Read 1450 times)

Victor

What I want to know is will they take your final semester grades into account in the UGPA? I dont know how they can. I'm applying to lawschools in Oct. and I graduate in Dec.

Dont lawschools make a decision to accept me or not before my final semester grades are in?

How can they form a TRUE UGPA when my final semester grades is not even included? That's bogus.

I have asked this question many times, but I never received a straight answer. If my final semester gpa is taken into account then my gpa can definately receive a boost. Should I graduate first then apply later just so I can get the gpa boost?

Gummo

I'd say waiting two or more months to include your final semester grades in your GPA (unless the boost is really significant) will hurt you more than applying early with your current GPA.

I'd send the schools you weren't decided at a new transcript after you graduate;  it will give your app more depth. 

NYBound05

I've actually wondered this too.

I'm not in the same position you are, but I always wondered if it's more beneficial for people who's GPA will be strengthened by the courses they take in the Fall to actually prolong their application until January (when their grades are in)?

Hmmm, who knows...

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
To answer the OP, not that I'm an expert, but I would think that if admissions could make a decision without your grades, they would, otherwise they would waitlist you so they could see your last semester grades if you were a borderline case.

I actually delayed applying for a year because I knew I'd be able to raise my GPA.  I didn't do as well my freshman year, had two good years, and needed senior year for an extra boost.  Turned out to be a good choice.  I got a 4.0 all three quarters (a little more one quarter because A+'s count extra), to finish off with a 3.8ish.  So if you think you can have significant improvement, it's worth delaying.  But if it's just one semester, apply with your current grades, and send updated transcripts, as Gummo said.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

ruskiegirl

If your school accepts you before your final GPA is available, you must provide them with a copy of your final transcript.  I assume that means they can withdraw your offer of admission if your final grades are unsatisfactory.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ruskie, do you know whether it's like the college ones?  Like, you pretty much just need to pass your classes?  Not that it affects me, cuz I'm done, but I'm just curious...
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

ruskiegirl

Ruskie, do you know whether it's like the college ones?  Like, you pretty much just need to pass your classes?  Not that it affects me, cuz I'm done, but I'm just curious...
I'm not sure, but I would hate to be the guy that got all C's his last semester only to be politely asked to withdraw from his soon-to-be law school.  I haven't heard anyone actually get their admission revoked, but I would think it's plausible, especially in the more competitive schools.

matt39754

• View Profile
lol.. i wondered the same thing in hs once i was accepted into undergrad university.  I would assume it doesnt really happen since someone who gets accepted into yale is a great student - and they wouldnt likely f*** up a few months b4 graduating.  Someone accepted into a tier 4 school on the other hand may have that attitude - yet tier 4 schools probably dont care.  But to answer your question - who knows....  I'll haveta try it out  ;)