Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to apply?  (Read 942 times)

jg049457

Where to apply?
« on: July 02, 2004, 09:20:42 PM »
Okay, I just got my test score and now my dilemma is where should I apply? I only want to apply to 10 (maybe 11 or 12) schools in order to ensure that I get into at least one, but I can't go crazy applying because of those exorbitant application fees. (I'm already estimating that I'm going to be dropping at least $1000)

I'm hoping however, that most of my schools will take the '04 GPA because it is 8 points higher and the 12/01 score will be 3 years old in December. Plus I didn't prepare at all in '01 and took the test cold turkey. I'm going to write a letter to each school stating that. I also think that I can get 2 kick a$$ recommendations and another that is pretty good as well.

So, because I live in the Philly area, I know I'm def applying to:

UPenn
Temple
Villanova
Rutgers Camden
Widener, DE
maybe Penn State

So what other good schools do you think I can get in? I have a list of schools, but I want to apply to the top schools that I have the most probability of being accepted.
I'm trying to narrow it down between:
Wake Forest
American
Catholic
Seton Hall
Marquette (cause I'm interested in sports/ent law)
Stetson
UVA
William & Mary
Emory
Georgetown
Boston College
Boston U
UNC
or anything else really...

I know there's those calculators, but I like to hear from real people who have already gone through this, you know?

ruskiegirl

Re: Where to apply?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 02:22:32 AM »
Given your numbers and the list you provided, here's where I would apply (Disclaimer: I will be the first to say that numbers aren't everything, but having no knowlege of your personal experiences, EC's, LOR's, etc, I am doing this assessment on numbers alone):

I would apply to 12 schools in the following order:

Reaches:

Penn
UVA
Wake
Berkeley (I added them for the #1 IP program, which will help you get into sports and entertainment law)

Good Chance:

Temple
Rutgers
American
Catholic

Safeties:

Stetson
Penn State
Miami (good for sports and entertainment law)
Cardozo (also good for s&e)

lifeofanarchy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 12:22:36 PM »
Well, I might be able to give you some insight.

We have very similar numbers. I had a 3.67 and a 162. Here is how it broke down for me:

Rejected: Penn, UCLA, Notre Dame, Northwestern Georgetown

WL: Vanderbilt, William & mary, BU, GW

Accepted: University of Minnesota, Wake, Pitt(5,000 scholarship), Temple($6,000 scholarship.

So, at least you know where you might land if you apply. Hope this helps.

msher3yn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 10:13:18 AM »
Cardozo would definitely not be a safety, especially if you're listing American as a "good chance" school. Cardozo's median lsat is around 162-164 and they had 5,000 applications this year. I think, with your numbers, you have a chance at Cardozo, but nothing is a sure thing with law school apps. Most schools have tons of people applying within their medians. Likewise, American had about 9500 applications this year for their 250 spots (I think that's how many spots). I think it would be a good idea to pick 4 reaches, 6 schools whose medians are your numbers and 2 safety safety schools--like Tier 3/4 schools. That way you're all accross the board. I had a 3.78 and a 152/159--described discrepancy in lower lsat-- and was waitlist at almost every school to which I applied even though my gpa was way above their median and my avg lsat was either within or just a little below.

Given your numbers and the list you provided, here's where I would apply (Disclaimer: I will be the first to say that numbers aren't everything, but having no knowlege of your personal experiences, EC's, LOR's, etc, I am doing this assessment on numbers alone):

I would apply to 12 schools in the following order:

Reaches:

Penn
UVA
Wake
Berkeley (I added them for the #1 IP program, which will help you get into sports and entertainment law)

Good Chance:

Temple
Rutgers
American
Catholic

Safeties:

Stetson
Penn State
Miami (good for sports and entertainment law)
Cardozo (also good for s&e)