Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disadvantageous to apply full-time? Better chances?  (Read 218 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disadvantageous to apply full-time? Better chances?
« on: October 20, 2005, 12:13:33 PM »
There are a few schools where I am applying that I figure I can only get accepred part-time, which really isnt a problem for me. The only thing is, i would love to go full-time if the opportunity arose. On the applications, it says select only one division, and if denied, it will be reviewed for the part-time division. I am wondering if it would be to my advantage to put part-time originally on the app. Like do they fill most of the part time spots with people who actually requested part-time, then use the remainder for people who were denied full time. Like they have no garuntee these people denied of full time will even want a part time offer, so wouldnt an applicant with an express desire to part time get a little more clout? I dont really know if I am making myself clear or not, but pretty much I am wondering if my numbers are subpar for full-time, will I have a better shot getting in part-time if i check the part time division box in the apps as opposed to checking full time, getting denied, then being considered for part time??? thanks
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

2Legit

• View Profile
Re: Disadvantageous to apply full-time? Better chances?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 12:20:22 PM »
There are a few schools where I am applying that I figure I can only get accepred part-time, which really isnt a problem for me. The only thing is, i would love to go full-time if the opportunity arose. On the applications, it says select only one division, and if denied, it will be reviewed for the part-time division. I am wondering if it would be to my advantage to put part-time originally on the app. Like do they fill most of the part time spots with people who actually requested part-time, then use the remainder for people who were denied full time. Like they have no garuntee these people denied of full time will even want a part time offer, so wouldnt an applicant with an express desire to part time get a little more clout? I dont really know if I am making myself clear or not, but pretty much I am wondering if my numbers are subpar for full-time, will I have a better shot getting in part-time if i check the part time division box in the apps as opposed to checking full time, getting denied, then being considered for part time??? thanks

I would assume that if your numbers are a little weak, but you are still a competitive candidate who shows potential, then they would offer you part-time. I doubt they would fill a quota on those who applied directly to part-time. It would make more sense if they made part-time offers based on the order in which they reviewed the applications (i.e., they won't hold off on offering you part-time until all the directly applied-to part-time applications have been reviewed).  But this is just speculation on my part.
In: Cardozo, Fordham, U Mich, Cornell
Out: Columbia, Penn, NYU
Waitlist: Northwestern