Law School Discussion

Disadvantageous to apply full-time? Better chances?

gordonma

• Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disadvantageous to apply full-time? Better chances?
« on: October 20, 2005, 10:13:33 AM »
There are a few schools where I am applying that I figure I can only get accepred part-time, which really isnt a problem for me. The only thing is, i would love to go full-time if the opportunity arose. On the applications, it says select only one division, and if denied, it will be reviewed for the part-time division. I am wondering if it would be to my advantage to put part-time originally on the app. Like do they fill most of the part time spots with people who actually requested part-time, then use the remainder for people who were denied full time. Like they have no garuntee these people denied of full time will even want a part time offer, so wouldnt an applicant with an express desire to part time get a little more clout? I dont really know if I am making myself clear or not, but pretty much I am wondering if my numbers are subpar for full-time, will I have a better shot getting in part-time if i check the part time division box in the apps as opposed to checking full time, getting denied, then being considered for part time??? thanks

Re: Disadvantageous to apply full-time? Better chances?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 10:20:22 AM »
There are a few schools where I am applying that I figure I can only get accepred part-time, which really isnt a problem for me. The only thing is, i would love to go full-time if the opportunity arose. On the applications, it says select only one division, and if denied, it will be reviewed for the part-time division. I am wondering if it would be to my advantage to put part-time originally on the app. Like do they fill most of the part time spots with people who actually requested part-time, then use the remainder for people who were denied full time. Like they have no garuntee these people denied of full time will even want a part time offer, so wouldnt an applicant with an express desire to part time get a little more clout? I dont really know if I am making myself clear or not, but pretty much I am wondering if my numbers are subpar for full-time, will I have a better shot getting in part-time if i check the part time division box in the apps as opposed to checking full time, getting denied, then being considered for part time??? thanks

I would assume that if your numbers are a little weak, but you are still a competitive candidate who shows potential, then they would offer you part-time. I doubt they would fill a quota on those who applied directly to part-time. It would make more sense if they made part-time offers based on the order in which they reviewed the applications (i.e., they won't hold off on offering you part-time until all the directly applied-to part-time applications have been reviewed).  But this is just speculation on my part.