Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Forums and Fee Waivers  (Read 517 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Law School Forums and Fee Waivers
« on: October 20, 2005, 12:07:15 PM »
Hey guys, i am heading to the NY forum this weekend and was wondering how often they hand out fee waivers. If i make a good impression on an adcomm, can they just hand me a fee waiver? I think i remember reading on LSD that forums give out fee waivers left and right... is this true? If anyone could let me know I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

viridianx

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - viridianx
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Law School Forums and Fee Waivers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 12:43:39 PM »
I wouldn't say that they hand them out "left and right" and you should also keep in mind that this varies by school.  That being said, schools do sometimes give out fee waivers on the spot.  More common is to get one in the mail soon afterwards, though you'd have to put your name and info down for them to contact you.  If you feel your stats merit a waiver, you can ask directly what they are looking for, though I would be more subtle about this.  In other cases, you can say something along the lines of "I'm really interested in your school, but don't know if I have the money to apply", but PLEASE don't say this if it isn't true.  Just have a good convo and work it in; if they want you and think you were genuine, they'll give you a waiver.
Attending: UPENN!!!

newhopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 12:35:58 AM »
I agree.  I received several fee waivers, although I didn't need them b/c of the LSAC fee waiver, when I attended the Atlanta Law Forum here last weekend.  Strike up a conversation about yourself, show intesrest and ask about fee waivers.  I asked a couple schools, and they reached down behind them and just handed them to me.  Some had to be signed (on the application itself), and others were included in a leter.

Be confident, and just ask.  The most they can say is no.

~newhopeful
Nontrad, URM, 5 yrs WE, LSAT=176, UGPA=2.5 (had a terrible first transitional year, completing UG in 3 years)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=newhopeful

chrisfield

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 11:29:41 AM »
If I think my stats will give me some fee waivers should I wait until after the Houston forum on Nov. 5th to mail my apps.? Or should I just go ahead and send them late October?