Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: why did i do it...  (Read 549 times)

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
why did i do it...
« on: October 19, 2005, 11:31:30 AM »
anyone else also take the mcat? what if you did significantly better on the mcat?  is it a sign med school is thebetter choice?  hmm.. i just had to go and take it....

2Legit

• View Profile
Re: why did i do it...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 12:12:52 PM »
I know someone who's undecided between law and graduate school. Personally, I think you should stick to whatever interests you more. Doing better on a test isn't necessarily a indicator of ability. If you're interested in the material then I guarantee that you'll do well regardless of your test scores.
In: Cardozo, Fordham, U Mich, Cornell
Out: Columbia, Penn, NYU
Waitlist: Northwestern

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 12:20:28 PM »
I was thinking about taking it just like you. However, I just wanted to do it because my sister is taking it and I did not want her to feel nervous. Also, I think that medical schools require you to have taken a set of core classes unlike law school prior to enrollment.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 03:35:44 PM »
I know someone who's undecided between law and graduate school. Personally, I think you should stick to whatever interests you more. Doing better on a test isn't necessarily a indicator of ability. If you're interested in the material then I guarantee that you'll do well regardless of your test scores.

thanks, although to some extent the lsat is supposed to test my ability as is the mcat.. so on some level shouldnt ability factor into a decision?   But passion is passion and it should be factored in as well, I assume.  I think I am just a little unnerved.  I see all these applicants on here with the 170s etc and i thought that would have been me.  But no, I was a lowly 158 and 168 two time test taker.  Yet Mcat first time knocked it out of the park.  Lets be honest.. I'm competitive and dont want to be at the bottom.  I always waffled back and forth between med/law/and graduate program in public health or sociology of medicine.. but had decided on law school. Basically convincing myslef my mcat scores would be much lower than the lsat.  oh the rony is killing me.. the cycle for med school apps is basically over.. so it would be next year if i decided to go that route..although i could be totally indecisive and massochistic and try a joint degree program at case western or duke.... Rocky, i've taken the core ourses.. i couldnt imagine anyone sitting through the damn test if they hadn't.  the lsat was a cake walk compared to the mcat in terms of time, stress concentration etc.. yet i did worse on it.  go figure.  my reading comprehension skills just werent up to snuff.  which is what really bugs me about law school.... will that come back to bite me in the ass?

Illusion18

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 08:45:32 PM »
I was in a similar boat.  I took the MCAT two years ago while still an undergraduate student.  I got a 33-S and even applied to med school.  When the secondaries started to roll in, I took a step back and decided to take some time off.  In the meantime, I took the LSAT and scored worse on it percentile-wise, than I did on the MCAT.  Sometimes I feel like I should have just gone to a good med school instead of applying to a mediocre law school.  But I know I want to do law, and not medicine, so it's just ironic that I scored better on the MCAT.  Oh well, that's life. :-\

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 08:58:22 PM »

I'm going to have to agree with most here. I scored 770 on the GMAT. I took a long hard look at that career path and came to the conclusion that I would rather spend eternity in the 7th circle of hell rather than the 9th. Law school it is.

Of course, there remains the possibility of the JD/MBA, just like JD/MD is possible in a few places (Penn, for one). But that's another story.
Penn (2007)

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 03:43:11 PM »

I'm going to have to agree with most here. I scored 770 on the GMAT. I took a long hard look at that career path and came to the conclusion that I would rather spend eternity in the 7th circle of hell rather than the 9th. Law school it is.

LOL.  thanks for the laugh.