Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about GPA & the admission process.....  (Read 1176 times)

strayfoxx

• GPA: 3.27 CUM, 3.53 DG/ LSAT ???
    • View Profile
    • Email
Question about GPA & the admission process.....
« on: July 02, 2004, 04:12:54 PM »
Okay so I've attended two separate colleges- a community college and a state university. When I transferred to the state university they didn't transfer over my GPA from my community college so I started with a clean slate.

At my community college I had a 2.96 cum and at the state university I have a 3.53. Now do most admissions add those together to determine a Cumulative from there or just look at them?  Also in a way could this situation be helpful, because I've heard that some law schools look for steadily increasing grades as the college experience goes on indicating that the student has adapted to the college environment, and has fine honed their studying and test taking skills...or is that bologna??  Mmmmm...bologna...

I was also wondering if they just look at the cumulative alone. Because I have a
3.9 in my major, which is history, and that definitely would help when compared to my 3.53 CUM.

lawmaybe

Re: Question about GPA & the admission process.....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 04:17:30 PM »
From my own experience, when you send all of your transcripts to LSDAS they tabulate your entire academic record (bad grades and all).  That's what happened to me.  I had a very immature community college experience and later on raised by GPA to a 3.85 after transferring to another college.  LSDAS gave me an average score of 2.42.  Something I have to live with.  You can calculate your own GPA with some form of GPA calculator if you do a search on the net.

Victor

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 05:07:04 PM »
What I want to know is will they take your final semester grades into account in the UGPA? I dont know how they can. I'm applying to lawschools in Oct. and I graduate in Dec.

So how do they get my fall grades before making a decsion?

strayfoxx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 01:21:19 AM »
Anyone at all have any more information?????

Gummo

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 01:23:56 AM »
They'll take into account ALL grades from ALL institutions attended and calculate a cumulative GPA from that.  They'll be able to see if your grades steadily increased, though, and there will be a separate "degree-granting gpa" that would be your 3.53 on your LSDAS report.

strayfoxx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 01:29:49 AM »
They'll take into account ALL grades from ALL institutions attended and calculate a cumulative GPA from that.  They'll be able to see if your grades steadily increased, though, and there will be a separate "degree-granting gpa" that would be your 3.53 on your LSDAS report.

Thanks for the help...Oh yeah ATHF kix @$$ by the way....The Moononites kick @$$...

egg

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 02:08:09 AM »
They'll take into account ALL grades from ALL institutions attended and calculate a cumulative GPA from that.\

Is this true for post-bac and graduate work as well? I wove a fairly complicated path through four institutions: (1) primary degree uni, (2) simultaneous summer school, (3) a few semesters of evening post-bac work, and (4) an MA (half done). Will each of these be included, or just the grades received before my BA was granted (#s 1 and 2)?

My MA marks are about half a point lower (~3.3 vs ~3.8), so I guess it could make a difference on the LSDAS calculation. Should I be concerned? Thanks for any clarifying info!

ruskiegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 02:10:22 AM »
They'll take into account ALL grades from ALL institutions attended and calculate a cumulative GPA from that.\

Is this true for post-bac and graduate work as well? I wove a fairly complicated path through four institutions: (1) primary degree uni, (2) simultaneous summer school, (3) a few semesters of evening post-bac work, and (4) an MA (half done). Will each of these be included, or just the grades received before my BA was granted (#s 1 and 2)?

My MA marks are about half a point lower (~3.3 vs ~3.8), so I guess it could make a difference on the LSDAS calculation. Should I be concerned? Thanks for any clarifying info!

No, LSAC only uses your UGPA.  While it reports your GGPA, it is not used in the LSAC GPA calculation.

egg

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 02:32:48 AM »
Thanks, ruskiegirl!

Hmmm... I just noticed my accidental smiley. I hope that happens on my actual applications- Yale could hardly turn down somebody who reports a three-point- 8) .

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004, 09:05:12 PM »
Do you have a good reason for such low grades in a master's program? A 3.0 is really low. While that wont be factored into your UGPA, the AdCom will see and maybe wonder if you can hack it in an advanced degree program.

Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor