Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A "what are my chances at X school" of a different color  (Read 12982 times)

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - steve112sms
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A "what are my chances at X school" of a different color
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2005, 05:01:19 PM »
Back to the topic: It seems as though you'll be fine. Even though your practice tests had a high degree of variability, it seems like you'll likely be somewhere in the 160's, which should be good enough for a good school. That said, I wouldn't get too confident about the top few, especially HYS since I'm doubtful even a gay black man from an Ivy can get in with anything less than high 160's considering your GPA, despite the improvement. John Galt has nothing to worry about, really, but his numbers are much better. Though, despite what was said earlier in this thread, he wouldn't have an "amazing" chance at HYS were it not for his being black. He'd have an outside shot, but even that is pretty impressive, so I don't mean to take away from his accomplishments.

Lucky77

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2005, 05:07:35 PM »
Jon Galt, Towllie, and Jason 240 have a combined 3 million posts on this website. ANYTIME the issue of AA comes up, these three African Americans immediately reject the notion that AA is a humongous helper. Have any of you ever wondered why a white applicant with a 158 would never DREAM of applying to a t14? Probably because you are delusional and think of yourselves as so "unique" because you are a minority. 158/White applying to NYU, “Are you nuts!” 158/Black applying to NYU, “Oh great, you are probably a really interesting candidate.”

LMAO omg. HAHAHAHAHA.

First off, I am not black, I am white. Second off, I have a few posts in the Affirmative Action is bullsh*t thread, in which I outright admit AA is a huge helper.

Third, a large part of my personal statement for law schools was dedicated to changing our affirmative action laws because I find them racist and feel they would be more worthwhile if they focused on economics (I happen to be poor) instead of race.

Take your head out of your ass.

jeb240

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2005, 05:12:23 PM »
Back to the topic: It seems as though you'll be fine. Even though your practice tests had a high degree of variability, it seems like you'll likely be somewhere in the 160's, which should be good enough for a good school. That said, I wouldn't get too confident about the top few, especially HYS since I'm doubtful even a gay black man from an Ivy can get in with anything less than high 160's considering your GPA, despite the improvement. John Galt has nothing to worry about, really, but his numbers are much better. Though, despite what was said earlier in this thread, he wouldn't have an "amazing" chance at HYS were it not for his being black. He'd have an outside shot, but even that is pretty impressive, so I don't mean to take away from his accomplishments.

Right on.

And I'm not too confident about anything outside of my baking prowess.

John Galt

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2005, 06:01:38 PM »
Jason:

I don't really want to respond to much of the stuff on this thread, but I don't want to give you (or anyone else) the impression that my silence is an indication of agreement with the things being said. My belief is that if the adcomms let you in, you deserve to be in the class. Period.

Lucky77

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2005, 06:19:26 PM »
Jason:

I don't really want to respond to much of the stuff on this thread, but I don't want to give you (or anyone else) the impression that my silence is an indication of agreement with the things being said. My belief is that if the adcomms let you in, you deserve to be in the class. Period.

Yes, it is true, if you get in, they want you to attend. However, would they still want you to attend if they weren't legally recquired to admit a certain percentage of whatever ethnic group you belonged to? If the answer is no, then do you really "deserve" to be in the class? I don't think so. If the answer is yes, then I say you do. And this has nothing to do with numbers or anything.

John Galt

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2005, 06:22:16 PM »
Jason:

Yes, it is true, if you get in, they want you to attend. However, would they still want you to attend if they weren't legally recquired to admit a certain percentage of whatever ethnic group you belonged to? If the answer is no, then do you really "deserve" to be in the class? I don't think so. If the answer is yes, then I say you do. And this has nothing to do with numbers or anything.

quotas are illegal for public universities, and private universities don't have any legal requirement at all.

jeb240

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2005, 06:25:20 PM »
John Galt,

I meant that your silence only indicated a choice not to respond, not an acquiescence to what has been said, and so people should not assume your opinions or thoughts.

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - steve112sms
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2005, 06:36:28 PM »
quotas are illegal for public universities, and private universities don't have any legal requirement at all.

This is correct as per Regents of University of California V. Bakke. Also found to be unconstitutional was University of Michigan's assignment of a specific amount of points based on race because it was too overt. Gratz v. Bollinger, I think. Affirmative action has only been found to be constitutional if race is merely a consideration, not given an automatic point value but rather given a vague weight alongside other factors like personal statements. I can't wait for the arguments sure to ensue over this when we take Con Law in law school. Supposedly we used the same book most law schools do for our undergrad version of the class.

sillymelon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2005, 07:42:39 PM »
Wow, so much drama here! I openly admit that I am against AA and believe that everyone should get in based on their abilities regardless of skin color.  Unfortunately, the world doesn't work like that...life is unfair, we don't decide how we want to be born...whether it's into a rich white or black family, a poor white or black family, as sons and daughters of immigrants, etc.  So I figure just deal with the cards life dealt you and stop comparing yourself to other people.  From being on this board, I think Jason and John Galt are great people.  Sorry for giving such a hackneyed lecture.  ;)

Belisarius

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2005, 08:02:39 PM »
Soft factors: URM (black male), gay, work 35-40hrs/wk when in school, 3.02 Cum GPA with an addendum citing depression and pointing out that all of last year my GPA was a 3.7 ave, interesting (?) PS, strong LORs, poor (disadvantaged?), Ivy League ugrad, "non-trad" in that I took a 2yr break between sophomore and junior years, and interesting (?) Yale essay.

Good luck man, I'll be rooting for you. Other than the URM, gay, working in school, and Ivy league bit we're in the same boat.

That is to say, low cum, 2 years off for mental health reasons, high GPA on return (anticipated in my case).... and expecting goodish scores and having no clue where to apply....