Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A "what are my chances at X school" of a different color  (Read 13164 times)

jeb240

Re: A "what are my chances at X school" of a different color
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2005, 04:35:36 PM »
Don't let Jon Galt suck you into believing that you need such a high LSAT, that's his rationalization mechanism to convince himself that minorities are held to a roughly similar standard. He is embarrassed that he is so qualified, yet is lumped into the negative generalized talks about minority applicants that do not apply to him. He is an anomaly, literally one in a million. Best advice you will ever get: You are a lock for SOME first tier school if you score over 150. I would apply to maybe 1 or at most 3 tier two schools unless you score sub 150. If you are anything over 155, with your profile, you will be wasting your money applying to tier 2. If you spoke to any profession law school counselor, they would tell you the same thing. You should have great confidence that many top school will be salivating over you.

What you say may be true, but I'd like to refrain from putting thoughts in John Galt's head (I know I already did and I shouldn't have).  He lurks and spies on this board as much as any of us do, so he can hardly missed that he's come up more than a few times.  The fact that he's said nothing, I imagine, is indicative of something.

And John Galt has not affected my thoughts, in the least.  While the pragmatic side of me would hardly turn down getting into a top school or begrudge any one for getting into a school with less than ideal numbers because he fits into other criteria, the prideful side of me would rather think that I have a shot at these schools because I merit it, my GPA notwithstanding ( ;)). And I stand by my conviction that no one, no matter how black or poor or disadvantaged he may be, can get into a school that he doesn't deserve to attend (with the exception of legacies, who obviously aren't who we're talking about).

jeb240

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2005, 04:36:37 PM »
EDIT: God, I hope the consensus is right.

What have you been scoring on practice tests?

157-170.  Like Bilbo Baggins, there and back again. Hence the uncertainty of where I'll land.

4ssh0l3

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2005, 04:38:34 PM »
Don't let Jon Galt suck you into believing that you need such a high LSAT, that's his rationalization mechanism to convince himself that minorities are held to a roughly similar standard. He is embarrassed that he is so qualified, yet is lumped into the negative generalized talks about minority applicants that do not apply to him. He is an anomaly, literally one in a million. Best advice you will ever get: You are a lock for SOME first tier school if you score over 150. I would apply to maybe 1 or at most 3 tier two schools unless you score sub 150. If you are anything over 155, with your profile, you will be wasting your money applying to tier 2. If you spoke to any profession law school counselor, they would tell you the same thing. You should have great confidence that many top school will be salivating over you.

What you say may be true, but I'd like to refrain from putting thoughts in John Galt's head (I know I already did and I shouldn't have).  He lurks and spies on this board as much as any of us do, so he can hardly missed that he's come up more than a few times.  The fact that he's said nothing, I imagine, is indicative of something.

And John Galt has not affected my thoughts, in the least.  While the pragmatic side of me would hardly turn down getting into a top school or begrudge any one for getting into a school with less than ideal numbers because he fits into other criteria, the prideful side of me would rather think that I have a shot at these schools because I merit it, my GPA notwithstanding ( ;)). And I stand by my conviction that no one, no matter how black or poor or disadvantaged he may be, can get into a school that he doesn't deserve to attend (with the exception of legacies, who obviously aren't who we're talking about).

Just to be clear, you do deserve it. I am an 4ssh0l3 but I am not racist.  You are being judged as deserving compared to a more relevant group, namely your race. 

I take no offense at the legacy comment.  I didn't even study for the LSAT because I know I am an autoadmit. 

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2005, 04:42:28 PM »

Assuming you are right, which is already a stretch...If you are so rich and so white, why do you even give a F*CK?
Let the man do his thing and leave him alone. If there is anyone wearing a green badge of envy and insecurity in here it's you, big boy.

It won't effect me. [sic]   

Irony, anyone?
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

jeb240

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2005, 04:43:23 PM »
I did not know you were a legacy anywhere, nor do I know anything about you other than your SN.  That was just a comment to cover my argument bases.

And I appreciate your candor.  And you can be racist (I know you're not, JSIA).  Personally, I'd rather it didn't exist, but it's not my job to tell people what they can and cannot believe.  So long as they realize it's irrational and that it should not be permitted to impact their judgments when it comes to non-personal things such as legal proceedings and employment and things like that.

4ssh0l3

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2005, 04:45:41 PM »

Assuming you are right, which is already a stretch...If you are so rich and so white, why do you even give a F*CK?
Let the man do his thing and leave him alone. If there is anyone wearing a green badge of envy and insecurity in here it's you, big boy.

Irony, anyone?

Should that be affect?  I paused but only use that version for influence.  I think I am right, but don't care.  Someone with a brain please decide.

4ssh0l3

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2005, 04:48:18 PM »
I did not know you were a legacy anywhere, nor do I know anything about you other than your SN.  That was just a comment to cover my argument bases.

And I appreciate your candor.  And you can be racist (I know you're not, JSIA).  Personally, I'd rather it didn't exist, but it's not my job to tell people what they can and cannot believe.  So long as they realize it's irrational and that it should not be permitted to impact their judgments when it comes to non-personal things such as legal proceedings and employment and things like that.

I know you didn't know I was a HY legacy.  I just felt like I could respond appropriately.

Racism is a serious problem.  I only hate stupid people and poor people who are truly leeches (not all poors).  Sometimes these overlap with a certain race more than others, which I think causes much of the racism in this current day and age. 

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2005, 04:49:46 PM »

Irony, anyone?

Should that be affect?  I paused but only use that version for influence.  I think I am right, but don't care.  Someone with a brain please decide.

Effect works as a verb only in statements like "to effect a significant change," in the sense of "create" or "cause."  Affect would be correct here.

4ssh0l3

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2005, 04:52:12 PM »

Irony, anyone?

Effect works as a verb only in statements like "to effect a significant change," in the sense of "create" or "cause."  Affect would be correct here.

I guess my instinct was correct.  Thank you.

4ssh0l3

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2005, 04:59:07 PM »

Irony, anyone?

Effect works as a verb only in statements like "to effect a significant change," in the sense of "create" or "cause."  Affect would be correct here.

Hence the irony in context of the argument.

I don't see the irony.  Please s-p-e-l-l it out for me.