Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A "what are my chances at X school" of a different color  (Read 12990 times)

SkullTatt

Re: A "what are my chances at X school" of a different color
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2005, 04:16:18 PM »
I think with such a large number of schools you are already doing what you need to be doing. I would only apply to more if you score in the 150's.

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2005, 04:16:36 PM »
Jon Galt, Towllie, and Jason 240 have a combined 3 million posts on this website. ANYTIME the issue of AA comes up, these three African Americans immediately reject the notion that AA is a humongous helper. Have any of you ever wondered why a white applicant with a 158 would never DREAM of applying to a t14? Probably because you are delusional and think of yourselves as so "unique" because you are a minority. 158/White applying to NYU, “Are you nuts!” 158/Black applying to NYU, “Oh great, you are probably a really interesting candidate.”

Wow, 3 million posts?  Damn.  Wait, Towlie is black?  I had no idea!

Uhm... it's not that I discount the benefits of AA.  I understand, accept (although not happily), and enjoy (again, not happily) the benefits of AA.  But in my head I know so many impressive and far more accomplished URMs that it doesn't occur to me that there aren't that many of "us," if I can include myself with them.  You say to me that there aren't that many and so we are all bound for getting into top schools, and I say that, yeah, the boost from and novelty of being AA will be of great use to me/us, but, again, in my head there are far too many of us for us ALL to get seats at the top schools, even if I stand a greater chance of receiving a seat at a top school than a non-URM with my numbers.

There are enough seats.  You and all your homies can go to HYSCCN and fill out the bottom of the curve (which many of you won't, you are smart after all) and get v20 firm offers with sh*t grades. 

Assuming you are right, which is already a stretch...If you are so rich and so white, why do you even give a F*CK?
Let the man do his thing and leave him alone. If there is anyone wearing a green badge of envy and insecurity in here it's you, big boy.
Boalt 1L

jeb240

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2005, 04:17:01 PM »
Well, one, I did not know that 30 figure and I'm completely taken aback by it.  Maybe we just don't go into law, because I know at least 30 black and hispanic kids with GPAs above 3.5 who I imagine would do better than 160 on the LSAT.

In any event, thank you frankfurt and 4ss for the (back-handed?) vote of confidence, for me and my "homies."

So, to the post at hand, you two are agreed that if I get lower than 155 I should apply to more schools?

jeb240

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2005, 04:18:37 PM »
I think with such a large number of schools you are already doing what you need to be doing. I would only apply to more if you score in the 150's.

The splitter mantra, "Wider is better."

EDIT: It's so funny... my posts either get no responses (the ones that are poor attempts at being humorous) or they explode into many multiple pages.  And all I really wanted to know was a number, and I guess low 150s or lower is the consensus?

EDIT: God, I hope the consensus is right.

4ssh0l3

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2005, 04:19:55 PM »
Jon Galt, Towllie, and Jason 240 have a combined 3 million posts on this website. ANYTIME the issue of AA comes up, these three African Americans immediately reject the notion that AA is a humongous helper. Have any of you ever wondered why a white applicant with a 158 would never DREAM of applying to a t14? Probably because you are delusional and think of yourselves as so "unique" because you are a minority. 158/White applying to NYU, “Are you nuts!” 158/Black applying to NYU, “Oh great, you are probably a really interesting candidate.”

Wow, 3 million posts?  Damn.  Wait, Towlie is black?  I had no idea!

Uhm... it's not that I discount the benefits of AA.  I understand, accept (although not happily), and enjoy (again, not happily) the benefits of AA.  But in my head I know so many impressive and far more accomplished URMs that it doesn't occur to me that there aren't that many of "us," if I can include myself with them.  You say to me that there aren't that many and so we are all bound for getting into top schools, and I say that, yeah, the boost from and novelty of being AA will be of great use to me/us, but, again, in my head there are far too many of us for us ALL to get seats at the top schools, even if I stand a greater chance of receiving a seat at a top school than a non-URM with my numbers.

There are enough seats.  You and all your homies can go to HYSCCN and fill out the bottom of the curve (which many of you won't, you are smart after all) and get v20 firm offers with sh*t grades. 

Assuming you are right, which is already a stretch...If you are so rich and so white, why do you even give a F*CK?
Let the man do his thing and leave him alone. If there is anyone wearing a green badge of envy and insecurity in here it's you, big boy.

I am right.  I don't give a @#!*.  It won't effect me.  It is simply ungrateful. 

Ocean Blue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2005, 04:23:36 PM »
You are a gay black man from an IVY.  Just apply to HYS and STFU.

From an "IVY".  4ssh0l3 is clearly old school.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ocnblu6

168/3.62
Accepted: Michigan, UT-Austin($$$), USC, NotreDame($$$) W&L($$$), Boston U, UCLA
Pending: UVA, LLS, Duke, Penn
Rejected: Boalt, Chicago
Waitlisted: Georgetown

frankfurt

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2005, 04:26:16 PM »
Don't let Jon Galt suck you into believing that you need such a high LSAT, that's his rationalization mechanism to convince himself that minorities are held to a roughly similar standard. He is embarrassed that he is so qualified, yet is lumped into the negative generalized talks about minority applicants that do not apply to him. He is an anomaly, literally one in a million. Best advice you will ever get: You are a lock for SOME first tier school if you score over 150. I would apply to maybe 1 or at most 3 tier two schools unless you score sub 150. If you are anything over 155, with your profile, you will be wasting your money applying to tier 2. If you spoke to any profession law school counselor, they would tell you the same thing. You should have great confidence that many top school will be salivating over you.

4ssh0l3

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2005, 04:31:53 PM »
You are a gay black man from an IVY.  Just apply to HYS and STFU.

From an "IVY".  4ssh0l3 is clearly old school.

I am indeed old school.  (Just returned from a hiatus.)

4ssh0l3

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2005, 04:32:11 PM »
Don't let Jon Galt suck you into believing that you need such a high LSAT, that's his rationalization mechanism to convince himself that minorities are held to a roughly similar standard. He is embarrassed that he is so qualified, yet is lumped into the negative generalized talks about minority applicants that do not apply to him. He is an anomaly, literally one in a million. Best advice you will ever get: You are a lock for SOME first tier school if you score over 150. I would apply to maybe 1 or at most 3 tier two schools unless you score sub 150. If you are anything over 155, with your profile, you will be wasting your money applying to tier 2. If you spoke to any profession law school counselor, they would tell you the same thing. You should have great confidence that many top school will be salivating over you.

Wise you are.

SkullTatt

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2005, 04:33:36 PM »
EDIT: God, I hope the consensus is right.

What have you been scoring on practice tests?