Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A "what are my chances at X school" of a different color  (Read 12933 times)

4ssh0l3

Re: A "what are my chances at X school" of a different color
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 03:59:28 PM »
He is in total denial about the benefits of being black.

Not as much as most of the posters here are in total denial of the benefits of being white.

Or just most people, in general.  This is exactly the point.  Excellent response.

Of course being white is easier.  Being born rich is easier too. 

I don't deny that I've had many benefits others have no chance at realizing. 

frankfurt

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 03:59:45 PM »
That was a terrible response. There is nothing built into the review process of law school applications that favors whites as a race. Totally stupid comparison. PS: Black and Ivy DOES seal the deal. If you score over 155, there are only a hand full of you out there.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 04:02:37 PM »
That was a terrible response. There is nothing built into the review process of law school applications that favors whites as a race.

Um, but there is something (it's called institutionalized racism) that's built into pretty much everything that comes before it.

C'mon.  Do you really think white people are never the beneficiaries of racism?  It's (mostly) subtler than Jim Crow, but racism is still alive and well.

4ssh0l3

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 04:02:46 PM »
PS: Black and Ivy DOES seal the deal. If you score over 155, there are only a hand full of you out there.

This is, of course, the credited response to the OP.

frankfurt

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2005, 04:03:53 PM »
sugeresh- you are right, but that is not what we are talking about.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 04:05:44 PM »
sugeresh- you are right, but that is not what we are talking about.

Not directly, but it's always irritating to see how resentful many people seem about AA.

jeb240

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 04:06:06 PM »
Jon Galt, Towllie, and Jason 240 have a combined 3 million posts on this website. ANYTIME the issue of AA comes up, these three African Americans immediately reject the notion that AA is a humongous helper. Have any of you ever wondered why a white applicant with a 158 would never DREAM of applying to a t14? Probably because you are delusional and think of yourselves as so "unique" because you are a minority. 158/White applying to NYU, “Are you nuts!” 158/Black applying to NYU, “Oh great, you are probably a really interesting candidate.”

Wow, 3 million posts?  Damn.  Wait, Towlie is black?  I had no idea!

Uhm... it's not that I discount the benefits of AA.  I understand, accept (although not happily), and enjoy (again, not happily) the benefits of AA.  But in my head I know so many impressive and far more accomplished URMs that it doesn't occur to me that there aren't that many of "us," if I can include myself with them.  You say to me that there aren't that many and so we are all bound for getting into top schools, and I say that, yeah, the boost from and novelty of being AA will be of great use to me/us, but, again, in my head there are far too many of us for us ALL to get seats at the top schools, even if I stand a greater chance of receiving a seat at a top school than a non-URM with my numbers.

frankfurt

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 04:08:28 PM »
The Supreme Court case that okayed AA as a factor in admissions decision noted that there were less than 30 blacks nationwide who scored over 165 and had over a 3.5 GPA in the 2003 Application cycle. You do the math.

frankfurt

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 04:09:07 PM »
I'm not dissing you Jason, I'm telling you that you will have amazing opportunities

4ssh0l3

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2005, 04:09:25 PM »
Jon Galt, Towllie, and Jason 240 have a combined 3 million posts on this website. ANYTIME the issue of AA comes up, these three African Americans immediately reject the notion that AA is a humongous helper. Have any of you ever wondered why a white applicant with a 158 would never DREAM of applying to a t14? Probably because you are delusional and think of yourselves as so "unique" because you are a minority. 158/White applying to NYU, “Are you nuts!” 158/Black applying to NYU, “Oh great, you are probably a really interesting candidate.”

Wow, 3 million posts?  Damn.  Wait, Towlie is black?  I had no idea!

Uhm... it's not that I discount the benefits of AA.  I understand, accept (although not happily), and enjoy (again, not happily) the benefits of AA.  But in my head I know so many impressive and far more accomplished URMs that it doesn't occur to me that there aren't that many of "us," if I can include myself with them.  You say to me that there aren't that many and so we are all bound for getting into top schools, and I say that, yeah, the boost from and novelty of being AA will be of great use to me/us, but, again, in my head there are far too many of us for us ALL to get seats at the top schools, even if I stand a greater chance of receiving a seat at a top school than a non-URM with my numbers.

There are enough seats.  You and all your homies can go to HYSCCN and fill out the bottom of the curve (which many of you won't, you are smart after all) and get v20 firm offers with *&^% grades.