Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A "what are my chances at X school" of a different color  (Read 12897 times)

jeb240

A "what are my chances at X school" of a different color
« on: October 18, 2005, 03:14:19 PM »
Alright... so I've been waiting for my score to do this list... but always wanting to be different and a little spicy, I decided to make the following list...

At what point LSAT-score wise should I apply to more than the 18 schools listed below, anyone of which is conceivably as much as safety as it is a target as it is a reach (with the exception of the high triumverate which are only barely targets if you have a 4.0/180 supercombo) -- this list is in order of preference, as, for the explanation cited earlier, I could not begin to list in order of reach/target/safety:

Yale
UChicago
Berkeley
UPenn
Vanderbilt
Stanford
Northwestern
UWisc
Harvard
Cornell
NYU
Columbia
UMich
Boston U.
USC
Fordham
Brooklyn
Cardozo

Soft factors: URM (black male), gay, work 35-40hrs/wk when in school, 3.02 Cum GPA with an addendum citing depression and pointing out that all of last year my GPA was a 3.7 ave, interesting (?) PS, strong LORs, poor (disadvantaged?), Ivy League ugrad, "non-trad" in that I took a 2yr break between sophomore and junior years, and interesting (?) Yale essay.

I have a number of T2 and a few T3 schools in the LSAC queue, not filled out but still at the ready, should my score not be where I hope it will be... but, really, what score is the lowest you guys think I should achieve before I have to start cranking out more apps?  Or do you already think I should start cranking out more apps?

4ssh0l3

Re: A "what are my chances at X school" of a different color
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 03:20:11 PM »
You are a gay black man from an IVY.  Just apply to HYS and STFU.

Lucky77

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 03:23:18 PM »
It sucks that your GPA is so low, because, obviously, you are smarter than that (this shows as you did dramatically better after a 2 years break).

Anyways, I can only speak for myself, but if I were you and had your stats, I would start crackin out a few more apps if my score was a 160 or below. The schools? I would say Boston College, Boston University, George Washington, Georgetown (Part-time), American, Santa Clara, etc etc.

I think you still will get into some of the schools you listed with a 160 or below (well, within reason), but I know you are concerned about scholarship chances. This is just my humble advice.

jeb240

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 03:32:02 PM »
It sucks that your GPA is so low, because, obviously, you are smarter than that (this shows as you did dramatically better after a 2 years break).

Anyways, I can only speak for myself, but if I were you and had your stats, I would start crackin out a few more apps if my score was a 160 or below. The schools? I would say Boston College, Boston University, George Washington, Georgetown (Part-time), American, Santa Clara, etc etc.

I think you still will get into some of the schools you listed with a 160 or below (well, within reason), but I know you are concerned about scholarship chances. This is just my humble advice.

I hope what I am about to say will neither jinx me nor offend anyone, but if I managed to wrangle a sub-160 score I think I'd be too dumbfounded to get out any more apps... you know, being in a coma kind of makes clicking the mouse and typing essays a little more difficult.

And I'm already applying to BU  :D and all D.C. schools are out per an earlier thread that shall not be revisited  :o so I suppose that leaves BC and Santa Clara.  BC is indeed one of the schools in the queue -- maybe I'll look up Santa Clara.

Lucky77

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 03:35:14 PM »
I understand - if I ended up with a sub-160 score on my LSAT, I don't know what I would have done. Again not to offend anyone, but I studies my butt off for 6 months, and just ah.

But for you, a sub-160 (which I DOUBT entirely that you will get) is not the end of the world. I would bet with a 159, or 158 even, you'd get into BC and BU with scholarship money even. Those are awesome schools.

You crack 165 (or maybe even lower) and I'll see you at a T14!

jeb240

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 03:35:51 PM »
You are a gay black man from an IVY.  Just apply to HYS and STFU.

Hmm... this merits a response.  Mine might not be the best, so I apologize:

I'm sorry that either your skin is not as dark as mine or that you do not go to an Ivy League school or both, as I do not imagine that neither is the case.  Perhaps in your next life, should you not be approaching that nihilistic end of ultimate ultimateness, you shall be more fortunate.  Better luck next time, slugger.

4ssh0l3

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 03:37:25 PM »
I understand - if I ended up with a sub-160 score on my LSAT, I don't know what I would have done. Again not to offend anyone, but I studies my butt off for 6 months, and just ah.

But for you, a sub-160 (which I DOUBT entirely that you will get) is not the end of the world. I would bet with a 159, or 158 even, you'd get into BC and BU with scholarship money even. Those are awesome schools.

You crack 165 (or maybe even lower) and I'll see you at a T14!

Why are you afraid of offending someone who cannot break a 160?  TTT's are great schools!  It doesn't matter where you went after your first job. 

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 03:39:03 PM »
I think you're going to be fine.  If you actually did much worse than you expect, sure, send out a few more apps to be extra safe, but otherwise I think you're good to go with your list.

You're so unique that it's very hard to predict the result at any particular school (only because any given school may be being anal retentive about keeping up their official UG GPA scores).  I think you're going to clean up overall, but at any given school the result is a little unpredictable if your LSAT ends up below 165 or so.

frankfurt

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 03:39:55 PM »
Listen to 4ssh0l3. As a black applicant from an Ivy undergrad, a 155 would easily get you into a few top 25. If you break 160, you would be a fool to apply anywhere outside the T14.

Lucky77

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 03:40:13 PM »
Jason,

I agree he was rude.. but you gotta admit, being black, gay, and from an Ivy certainly helps your cause. But, it does not write your ticket in, either.