Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just got my LSAT, now what / where?  (Read 5014 times)

arcady

• 167 LSAT --- 3.28-all/3.80-univ GPA
    • ICQ Messenger - 3619220
    • MSN Messenger - arcady0@yahoo.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - arcady0
    • View Profile
    • the out of date party like it's 1997 homepage thingy
    • Email
Just got my LSAT, now what / where?
« on: July 02, 2004, 03:39:15 PM »
I just got my score, a 167.

Now I've got to sit down and think about where to apply - here in or around San Francisco, or try to sneak my way into one of those schools on my dream list on the East Coast (Harvard - yeah right, the two in NYC I can never remember the exact names of, and so on).

The big issue for me is my GPA.
I spent the nineties taking oddball evening classes to support my 'dot-commer' fix, and had some wild idea of getting a Computer Science degree at one point - which cut me down quite a bit.

I've got a 3.77 at the university I attend -SFSU, where I expect to graduate in december- but it drops to 3.11 when I add in my Junior College days... :o

Hopefully by December I'll pull that 3.11 up a little more.

So I suspect my reality choices are Hastings, SFU, and that sort - my dream choices are everybody's dream choices: Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard. But even as a Native American that's a dream, but it's about time to wake up and see what's really out there... 8)

dta

Re: Just got my LSAT, now what / where?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 03:47:58 PM »
There was a kick ass little LSAT + GPA calculator that someone once posted a link to (i think it was zpops?) a long time ago. Anyone know the link to that site? That's definitely a good place to start. Plug your gpa + lsat in and see your % chance of admission.

Anyone know it? Not the LSAC calculator (that thing sucks), but some calculator made buy some individual guy.

Victor

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 05:10:08 PM »
There was a kick ass little LSAT + GPA calculator that someone once posted a link to (i think it was zpops?) a long time ago. Anyone know the link to that site? That's definitely a good place to start. Plug your gpa + lsat in and see your % chance of admission.

Anyone know it? Not the LSAC calculator (that thing sucks), but some calculator made buy some individual guy.

Yeah I would like to use that calculator aswell.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 05:56:56 PM »
It's http://www.chiashu.com/lsat.html

The info is the most curent available, so it's really the best means of gauging your shots.  But take it with a grain of salt, since for example I had n 89% chance of getting into HLS but was actually WL'd. 

P.S.  I'm glad you remembered it was me DTA.  It's kinda weird how I was such a major part of these boards just 2 months ago, and now I'm all but forgotten :(  The pace that this board moves at can be scary. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.9/165
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 06:27:58 PM »
I have a 3.92 GPA and a June 14th LSAT of 165. WHERE would I be a competitive applicant? Can I get into any Tier 1 schools?
Loyola Public Interest Scholar '05!

dta

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 07:55:17 PM »
I have a 3.92 GPA and a June 14th LSAT of 165. WHERE would I be a competitive applicant? Can I get into any Tier 1 schools?

Click zpops' link above.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 08:23:03 PM »
Zpops, thanks for the link!  I heard about it and kept checking it, but it was down for the longest time.  And you have a 3.99/175?  I'm so screwed...   :-\

I have a better chance of getting into NYU and Columbia than Berkeley.  So weird.  Although it makes sense, since Berkeley is public and gets a ton more applications probably.  Just not what I expected.  Here I thought Berkeley could be a safety and NYU and Columbia could be more reaching.  This website is awesome though!
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

ruskiegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 10:22:48 AM »
Zpops, thanks for the link!  I heard about it and kept checking it, but it was down for the longest time.  And you have a 3.99/175?  I'm so screwed...   :-\

I have a better chance of getting into NYU and Columbia than Berkeley.  So weird.  Although it makes sense, since Berkeley is public and gets a ton more applications probably.  Just not what I expected.  Here I thought Berkeley could be a safety and NYU and Columbia could be more reaching.  This website is awesome though!

Berkeley is the most competitive public law school and its acceptance rate comes in third overall, behind Stanford and Yale.

dukie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 10:43:14 AM »
I got a 168 which i was dissapointed with.  I still want to go to Harvard or Penn.  I think I have a shot.  I go to Duke (as you can tell from my name) and am scheduled to graduate Magna Cum Laude (3.75); double econ/psych.  I'm in the process of writing a senior thesis evaluating from an economic perspective the efficiencies of contract law. 

I've been working since I was 14.  I've started and sold a start-up, am heading up another now.  I've worked in two big name banks, a PR firm, I've TA'd math, and RA'd in cult. anth. 

Anyone think I have a shot?

Low:  167, High: 176, Avg: 172

ruskiegirl

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004, 10:57:23 AM »
IMHO, yes.