Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Kinko's Guy...  (Read 7696 times)

stonewall68

• AOL Instant Messenger - kd100
    • View Profile
Re: The Kinko's Guy...
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2005, 08:39:49 PM »
OK,

I see some of both parts to this case.

1) I don't think( I hope not at least) that Whit was trying to just totaly brush him off. He came at her in a childish way.(Like so many men do to women) She responded in kind to his comments.

2) I am mad at her and blk for not thinking the young man had any goals. He might have just looked young, could have been a grad student, etc. His working at Kinko's didn't mean that he had no asperations in life.

3) I don't know why Whit has been the subject latley of some malinformed men of late, when I was in that age range(assuming he was) I never came to a lady like that, but then I was normal at that time I was working my way through school, had my own car and place. so my lines trying to get women were different from those of my friends, etc.

4) I don't think she will be alone she is just waiting for the right man to come along and treat her like she wants to be treated. As far as GOD not liking "UGLY"  don't think that she was acting like that, just defending her turf, which we all do at times.

5) Dissing her because he thought she had no job? That was stupid on his part because if he had a chance that just F&$&$ blew it for him.

6) Along the line of "giving a brother a chance" I see her point to a degree but then remember the shoe can be on the other foot also, she could meet a man at a LS recption or other function not related to LS and be deemed the same by him of his friends, mabye because is in investment banking and they think she is grabing on to him thinking she can get some quick money( I know she is not like that), so don't judge too quick I know you have had it happen before but remember every book is different.

Stonewall

P.s. Daym I am really sounding old and wise this week for some reason  ???

I totally agree with Blk. 

Aside from the fact that the KINKO's guy worked at KINKO's, he looked as though he was 18 or 19, AND he dissed me b/c I don't have a job.

I refuse to date men that are cashiers, etc. b/c I have found that when I do attempt to "give a brotha a chance," I end up frustrated and disappointed b/c we are worlds apart....

I'm concerned about graduating from law school...he's concerned about finding a cosigner for a car.  I'm concerned about public policy and my 401K...he's concerned about the name of the vodka on tap and when he finds out its McCormick, he asks the waiter the cost of Henessey.  Or my favorite…I use a word or two and he actually asks for the definition!  Do you know how it feels to be the dictionary on a date???  The list goes on and on.  PLUS, I seriously doubt a black professional man would want me if I were not goal oriented. 

So yes...I will not date cashiers, men with bad credit, men that are not driven...etc.  If I end up alone b/c of my standards, then so be it.

I am not here to make YOU happy!!!!!

I have sat in the Chair of Wisdom and Knowledge.

Friendship is essential to the Soul!!!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2005, 09:35:55 PM »

So yes...I will not date cashiers, men with bad credit, men that are not driven...etc.  If I end up alone b/c of my standards, then so be it.

Whoa!

Drive Slow, Homie.

Whit, you know you are my peoples, and I agree with 95% of your logic here EXCEPT for the bad credit part.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - my credit, and about 95% of the rest of the black community, is jacked, so if any sister steps to me wanting to see my equifax score she can get to stepping cause that is about as superficial as it gets.  A credit score ain't got jack to do with who you are as a person.

So a sister who don't date brothers with bad credit basically won't be dating no brothers except for maybe BP.

I concur with Stonewall's points.  There are basically two issues here:

#1. Homeboy's approach.
#2. Ladies' standards in brothers.

#1 is pretty much a rap.  His approach was WACK (wiggety wiggety...)

Applying the reasonably prudent brother trying to holla standard, this brother is liable for social assault because Whit clearly apprehended an imminent harmful and offensive mack game.

#2 is up for debate. 
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2005, 09:56:45 PM »

as I said earlier..nothing wrong with working at Kinkos if you're (see below)

nothing wrong with working at Kinkos if you're in school or working on starting your own business and pimping Kinkos for the discount on business cards and presentation supplies ;).. or working in the corporate office...

I do think that ultimately one's credit can come into play if you're dating to marry and not dating just to be dating... unless you plan on spending your married life with mandatory separate credit reports and income taxes... then a person's debt to income ratio is important in the long run.. but that's just my personal opinion...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

faith2005

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2005, 10:11:18 PM »
sands--i'm mad BP is the only brotha you (virtually) know with a good credit score...BLACK PEOPLE! we have to do better!  :D i guess black people having bad credit is a whole nother discussion.  :-\

lex19

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2005, 10:13:04 PM »
yeah no good, tsk tsk
sands--i'm mad BP is the only brotha you (virtually) know with a good credit score...BLACK PEOPLE! we have to do better!  :D i guess black people having bad credit is a whole nother discussion.  :-\

1lwhit

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2005, 10:41:00 PM »
My stance on bad credit...(i.e. another horror story)

Yes, Stonewall, lately I have had my fair share of some unimpressive gentlemen.  My reason for not wanting a man with bad credit…

Last year, I met a grad student (note: GRAD student...we’ll call him Mr. Bad Credit.  I was busy with my first year of law school and decided not to take things too seriously.  I missed a few of his calls, and stood him up for a few dinner dates, but I was busy studying.  Finally, after chasing me for about 2 weeks, he called and asked to take me to breakfast the next day before class.  I called the next morning at 7am and said, “I’m running late, I’ll catch you another time.”

Here’s where the story unfolds…  So around 10:30am he called to ask if he could take me to lunch.  I said sure.  He told me to meet him at XYZ car dealership b/c he was about to get a new car and we could just leave from there.  So I’m thinking…wow…I’ll get a meal and a ride in a fly car.  So I get to the dealership around 11am.  As soon as I walk in the office he has a worried look on his face.  The salesman introduces himself to me, looks to Mr. Bad Credit and says, “With your credit history, I’m sorry, we just cannot do anything for you.  You will need a cosigner.”  So everyone in the office turns to me.  I’m thinking “Hell naw!  I know he did NOT invite me up here to cosign for him.”  Stunned, I just stared back.

So he called his mom, got into an argument with her, and hung up.  So I said, “If you talked to me like that, I probably wouldn’t cosign for you either.”  So he called his dad and his dad agreed to cosign.  At that point, I got up to get a cup of free coffee.

About 15 minutes later, as I was checking out the new floor models, the salesman comes up to us and says, “Mr. Bad Credit, I’m sorry, but since your father had a repossession a year ago, we still cannot do anything for you.”  THEN he says, “You know ma’am, in order to be a cosigner, you don’t have to be a relative.  How is your credit?  Are you willing to cosign.”  So I said, “I know that I don’t have to be related to Mr. Bad Credit.  My credit is great, but I’m not cosigning for anyone.”

At this point, I’m pissed!  But I decided that I should get something out of it, so I asked if we were still going to lunch.  He said yes.  Mr. Bad Credit was driving his uncle’s car and I followed him to the restaurant. 

He then told me that he was adopted, had just met his biological parents, and was “going through some thangs.”  REMEMBER, this is a GRAD student.

He then offered to take me to the nail salon.  He paid for me to get a full set with French Manicure and went on my way.  I never talked to his bad credit, emotionally screwed up a** again.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2005, 10:47:17 PM »
oh, wait a minute, don't think my credit has always smelled like roses now. If you guys saw my credit report my first year in college you would have been like  :o

Interestingly enough it was the stock market that made me clean up my credit. I wanted to trade stocks on margin (basically borrowing money to finance stock purchases) and you need good credit for that.  Anyhow, it was the best thing I ever did.

Sands if you want to start working on yours I can send you some info bro. 
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

lex19

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2005, 10:49:06 PM »
wow whit, wow.....you and roxie should get together and write a book here's a title "Bustas and Their BS"

wow

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2005, 10:53:30 PM »
wow whit, wow.....you and roxie should get together and write a book here's a title "Bustas and Their BS"

wow

or how about a longer title: "If I keep attracting the same type of men, is it the men, or is it me?"

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

MsJay9

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm never down.....I'm either Up or Getting Up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - msjy9
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2005, 10:54:30 PM »
Hey BP....that credit link you sent me had a lot of great info....too bad none of my creditors deleted....but I paid them anyway....lol!  By the time I'm 30 my credit will be A1! :D
If you always do what you always did then you'll always get what you always got!