Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Day Care When You Start Law School?  (Read 1067 times)

phooey

Day Care When You Start Law School?
« on: October 17, 2005, 02:08:33 PM »
Anyone else going to start their child in daycare when they start law school in the fall?  I've stayed home with my daughter for the past two years and she'll start daycare in a year at age 3 1/2. 
It's making me miserable with worry. I'm scared she's going to HATE it and not let me leave when I drop her off..I know she'll do that.

Seriously, the LSAT was a cakewalk compared to this.

:o

King80s

Re: Day Care When You Start Law School?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 02:17:25 PM »
3.5 is plenty old enough for daycare.. you daughter will be fine.  the hard part is finding the provider you feel comfortable with, which makes all the difference in the world

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 04:04:35 PM »
Anyone else going to start their child in daycare when they start law school in the fall?  I've stayed home with my daughter for the past two years and she'll start daycare in a year at age 3 1/2. 
It's making me miserable with worry. I'm scared she's going to HATE it and not let me leave when I drop her off..I know she'll do that.

Seriously, the LSAT was a cakewalk compared to this.

:o

Its strange.  Although we tend to think our children are cuter, smarter, funnier than all the other kids, at the same time, we don't give them enough credit.  She'll be fine with daycare.  The only problem will be getting her out of there at night.  After 3.5 years at home, she'll probably love a change of scenery. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

texaschic

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - faithdavis09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 04:10:02 PM »
She will probably LOVE daycare.  Maybe not at first, but it will be good for her social skills and in getting her ready for kindergarten.  It will probably be more traumatic for you than for her.  Just be sure you double and triple check the daycare...and if you're thinking of a nanny or babtsitter at home, be SURE to install nannycams.  She will be old enough by next fall to verbalize how she likes/dislikes things, too, so that will also give you some insight.  But overall, I'm sure she will love it. Try not to worry about it too much right now if you can and enjoy the time you have left with her at home. 

phooey

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 04:28:02 PM »
Thanks everyone.
Yeah, she will change a lot over a year.  I guess the main source of my stress about it is that right now she would hate it..but I guess there's a big difference between 2.5 and 3.5 (I hope!).

I know it will be good for both of us.  I've never known a 3.5 year old before so it's hard for me to imagine what she'll be like then and how she'll react.

phooey

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 04:40:22 PM »
..and I give my daughter plenty of credit.  My anxiety is based on knowing my child's temperament, and also due to a recent attempt at preschool to "practice" daycare which was a complete disaster.

FeelingBulletproof

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 04:52:35 PM »
I know finding the right place is a big concern. We ended up sending our kids (after age 2) to a montessori-style day care. It was more expensive, but the teachers were actually accredited in early childhood, not just baby sitters. Even though we visited first, etc., the kids cried the first day or two, but eventually loved it. One reason I thought it would be a good place was that when I visited all the kids were involved in doing activities, were happily occuped and so the noise level was substantially lower than the cacaphony in some other places I checked out. I knew I would rather be in that environment, so I figured my kids would too. Good luck.

slp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 02:57:39 PM »
I will have to put my child in daycare when I start law school as well.  he has been in a home daycare environment but he will be in a real school next year at age 2.  The school is allowing me to send him half-time whereas the home daycare wont unless I find another child to take the rest of the time.  All change is going to create some stress/anxiety.  I think the parents are the ones who worry more and freak out the child.  I used to work with preK children and the kids who were the most dramatic ironically had the clingiest parents.  The ones who would try to linger and stay instead of just giving a quick hug and a wave before leaving.  I really would not worry about your child starting school.  ust make sure it is an "open-door" policy school where ongoing communication is encouraged.   Take the time now to find the right school.  Once you find the right place, you won't worry.