Law School Discussion

June 14 Lsat Scores

NYBound05

Re: June 14 Lsat Scores
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 06:54:21 PM »
Congratulations everyone! You all did awesome!  :)

:::Sigh::: Now it's my turn (Oct 2nd)...

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 06:59:51 PM »
Good luck NYBound!  What school do you want to go to?  Let me guess based on your name...  Columbia?  Otherwise, NYU?

NYBound05

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 07:18:55 PM »
Good luck NYBound!  What school do you want to go to?  Let me guess based on your name...  Columbia?  Otherwise, NYU?

Thanks!  ;D

Believe it or not, it's the other way around.  I'm in love with NYU and that's my first choice.  Depending upon the area (once I visit), Columbia MAY be one of my top choices...definetely not my 1st choice but, perhaps second.

LOL, this is all assuming I will receive a score comparable to yours!

What about you, what's your top choice?

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 07:27:50 PM »
Hey everyone, this is the first time I have ever posted here. I just got my score-163.  I was hoping for a 165/166 but there is nothing I can do about it now and I am still happy.  My top choices for law school are GW and Boston College. I just graduated this spring with a 3.72 Gov't and politics B.A from U of Maryland and was in the honors program.  I just want to know if people think I have a good chance of getting into those schools and which other schools I should look at.  Two other little facts are that I am originally from Iran (although I don't really know if that is considered a minority, I really doubt it) and I am only 20 years old.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!  :)

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 07:28:39 PM »
You know, I actually favored NYU over Columbia too, based on location.  I haven't been to NY in years, but I stayed with my sister and her then-boyfriend (now husband) in Columbia graduate student housing.  I would be scared to walk around there at night, although I'm a small girl, so maybe you don't have that problem.  Anyway, then I was talking to someone who's in love with Columbia (but going to UCLA) who pointed out that Columbia is Ivy League, so the name carries more weight.  So I thought that was a good point, and the prestige factor is important, especially for the amount of money I'll be taking out in loans.  I haven't done too much in-depth research yet because I don't want to fall in love with a school and then not get in (although I should probably do some more research before sending off apps so I can include good stuff in my PS).

Anyway, my choices are pretty much in order of USNews rankings right now, though that wasn't an automatic decision.  I've been thinking about a lot of the close ones, but this is roughly how it stands right now: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, UCLA, USC.  After I get acceptances, I'll visit the schools I get into and do more research and weigh financial aid packages and such.  But I would go to Yale for full price over a full ride from any other school on that list.  Unfortunately, with my LSAT score, it's probably not going to happen.  But it's worth my effort just in case :)  Maybe I'll see you in NY in 2005, though!

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2004, 07:32:54 PM »
Donya,

Let me know if you find out whether Persian is a minority, because I'm Persian too.  But I was born in Orange County, so I wonder if that takes away from it at all...

Anyway, here's a calculator that uses your GPA and LSAT to tell you your chances of getting into a certain school based on the fall 2003 class.  Granted it's harder to get in for 2005 than it was for 2003 probably, since there are more people applying.  And if you have extracurriculars, strong letters of rec, a great personal statement, etc, all of these will help.

Good luck!  Ghodah koneh chantah madrese'eh khoob shomarah ghabool koneh :)  (Try reading it slowly aloud.  That's not for everyone.  If you don't speak Farsi, it won't do you any good to read it aloud.)

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2004, 07:38:45 PM »
Donya,

Let me know if you find out whether Persian is a minority, because I'm Persian too.  But I was born in Orange County, so I wonder if that takes away from it at all...

Anyway, here's a calculator that uses your GPA and LSAT to tell you your chances of getting into a certain school based on the fall 2003 class.  Granted it's harder to get in for 2005 than it was for 2003 probably, since there are more people applying.  And if you have extracurriculars, strong letters of rec, a great personal statement, etc, all of these will help.
Good luck!  Ghodah koneh chantah madrese'eh khoob shomarah ghabool koneh :)  (Try reading it slowly aloud.  That's not for everyone.  If you don't speak Farsi, it won't do you any good to read it aloud.)

MERCI!  To ham hatman madrese'yeh khoob ghabool meshee!!  COngrats on your awesome score.  I think you meant on putting up the LSAC claculater link :)  I used that too but, like you said it isn't certain to apply.  I think it said that I have a roughly 50% chance of GW and 60% for BC.  That isn't exactly what I want to hear haha.  I think I will call some schools' admissions offices and talk to them about the chances and Persian thing.  DO you or anyone else have any suggestions of other schools beside GW and BC to look at?

KTPT

• 3.72 / 174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - syn16
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2004, 07:39:27 PM »

RC (25/28)WTF?
LR1 (21/25) WTF?
LR2 (25/26)
LG (22/22)

zpops

• Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2004, 07:39:37 PM »
You know, I actually favored NYU over Columbia too, based on location.  I haven't been to NY in years, but I stayed with my sister and her then-boyfriend (now husband) in Columbia graduate student housing.  I would be scared to walk around there at night, although I'm a small girl, so maybe you don't have that problem.  Anyway, then I was talking to someone who's in love with Columbia (but going to UCLA) who pointed out that Columbia is Ivy League, so the name carries more weight.  So I thought that was a good point, and the prestige factor is important, especially for the amount of money I'll be taking out in loans.  I haven't done too much in-depth research yet because I don't want to fall in love with a school and then not get in (although I should probably do some more research before sending off apps so I can include good stuff in my PS).

Anyway, my choices are pretty much in order of USNews rankings right now, though that wasn't an automatic decision.  I've been thinking about a lot of the close ones, but this is roughly how it stands right now: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, UCLA, USC.  After I get acceptances, I'll visit the schools I get into and do more research and weigh financial aid packages and such.  But I would go to Yale for full price over a full ride from any other school on that list.  Unfortunately, with my LSAT score, it's probably not going to happen.  But it's worth my effort just in case :)  Maybe I'll see you in NY in 2005, though!

LOL, you're making me feel old, because you remind me so much of myself going through the app process last year.  If you want, i'll be happy to send you my whole Yale app, so you can see what I did with it.  If you've got any questions about their admissions process, I know it far too well, so feel free to ask any questions you've got ;)

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2004, 07:42:56 PM »
KTPT, what's the WTF about next to RC?  I hope it's a positive one, because three wrong on that section seems pretty good.  Awesome job after the break!  Awesome job overall, of course!  :)

And Zpops, that would be awesome if I could see your Yale app.  Thank you so much!  :)  My e-mail address is TDPookie1@aol.com.  I'm not creative enough to think of different names for my e-mail address and LSD name and stuff ;)  But shh, don't tell Yale that.