Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Toledo !!!???  (Read 1321 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Toledo !!!???
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 12:52:24 PM »
never mind, I found it.  And people should know, the riot was only 4 miles from campus.

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 10:42:16 PM »
In Toledo 4 miles is a world away. Downtown and the areas around it are a ghost towm for the most part. Begining with the campus and everything to the west is actually pretty nice. Granted Ohio is certainly a top 5 worst state and probably the worst state in the country BY FAR. I like the school though.

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 10:50:48 PM »
Why is Ohio so horrible? I am just wondering. Is it the weather, people, or lack of nothing?
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 11:08:02 PM »
I could go on forever but Ill break it down briefly:

Weather doesnt bother me at all. Im from Michigan and I love having 4 seasons.

People do bother me. I have found that anywhere I go in this state I encounter just FLAMING ignorance and incompetence. The drivethrough windows are worse that any other state and the people are mean as all hell. There is lots of that redneck stuff like pick ups with crazy bumperstickers and confederate flags. Lots of country music, busch drinking bad asses, and vandalism. The People are REALLY lazy.

The landscape is disgusting. Vacant buildings everywhere and high unemployment rates. These people (due to ignorance) like to blame the chinese and mexicans, but then expect to be paid 45k a year with a GED to work on an assembly line. Just about everything smells bad. People think Ohio State is the capital of the country. Ive been spit on in the past for wearing a michigan sweatshirt. You can walk through ann arbor all day with buckeye stuff on and worst case scenario is you get yelled at.

But yea if I could sum it up in four terms I would say ignorance, incompetence, ugliness, and odor.

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 12:26:37 AM »
Wow, those are some really good reasons to say OHIO sucks.

It sucks that they are not willing to accept the fact that you support another school. I mean a friendly rivarly is fine but spitting is not acceptable. I hate ppl like that.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 11:06:31 AM »
As an adult, I've lived in 5 states, and Ohio is my favorite.  Toledo, however, is a crazy place.  I once was approached by a guy on the street, high on crack, who had shaved his eyebrows off and was trying to cover up that fact by smearing shoe polish above his eyes.  That still cracks me up.  And by the way, that was in the Old West End, easily within a mile from the law school.

But that's what I loved about Ohio.

My least favorite place I lived was San Diego, which most people (read:tourists) seem to love.  San Diego is the most segregated city I've ever lived in, and has the most fake, materialistic people I've ever met.

So if you think you'd love San Diego, you can take my opinion of Ohio and throw it away.

Oh, and Toledo is the only place in Ohio that seems to care about OSU-UM, because it is right there in the middle, geographically.

utoledostudent

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 01:58:05 PM »
I have to agree with the person who posted about Toledo and their drive-thru people.  That was absolutely right on.

To say that Ohio is the least desirable state in the United States or that Toledo is "crazy" is extreme.  The majority of Toledo is one large Suburbia. The University of Toledo was built within an existing city.  As a result, campus has not spread out around the area already allocated to it.  The growth of the university is limited because it surrounds existing neighborhoods.  One of these neighborhoods is the affluent Ottawa Hills.  Yes, downtown Toledo is within miles of the campus, however, it is really thought of as a separate area of the city.  I have only been down there to visit a museum or for dinner on the Docks.  Some students do choose to closer to the downtown area because the "urban" atmosphere appeals to them.  Most students, however, choose to live in apartment complexes filled with other students or professionals.  You are not likely to run into a "crackhead" jogging in one of the Metroparks, wandering around campus, sitting a Beaners, or in your apartment complex.

Honestly, Toledo is not my favorite city of all time but is tolerable for three years of my life.  On a plus side, Toledo is located relatively close to a lot of other major cities in Ohio and Michigan. 

Keeton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2005, 10:30:23 PM »
I have to agree with the person who posted about Toledo and their drive-thru people.  That was absolutely right on.

To say that Ohio is the least desirable state in the United States or that Toledo is "crazy" is extreme.  The majority of Toledo is one large Suburbia. The University of Toledo was built within an existing city.  As a result, campus has not spread out around the area already allocated to it.  The growth of the university is limited because it surrounds existing neighborhoods.  One of these neighborhoods is the affluent Ottawa Hills.  Yes, downtown Toledo is within miles of the campus, however, it is really thought of as a separate area of the city.  I have only been down there to visit a museum or for dinner on the Docks.  Some students do choose to closer to the downtown area because the "urban" atmosphere appeals to them.  Most students, however, choose to live in apartment complexes filled with other students or professionals.  You are not likely to run into a "crackhead" jogging in one of the Metroparks, wandering around campus, sitting a Beaners, or in your apartment complex.

Honestly, Toledo is not my favorite city of all time but is tolerable for three years of my life.  On a plus side, Toledo is located relatively close to a lot of other major cities in Ohio and Michigan. 
Hey, do you by any chance know how soon Toledo gets back to you about your application? I all of mine a few weeks ago. I figure it will be a while since I don't have stellar numbers...but should I expect to know either way by Christmas?  I really have know idea how this whole thing works. thanks for any insight. 

utoledostudent

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 10:50:47 AM »

Hey, do you by any chance know how soon Toledo gets back to you about your application? I all of mine a few weeks ago. I figure it will be a while since I don't have stellar numbers...but should I expect to know either way by Christmas?  I really have know idea how this whole thing works. thanks for any insight. 
[/quote]

Toledo starts reviewing applications around mid-November/early December.  Once they start the process, it can be as quick as ten days.