« on: October 15, 2005, 08:57:11 PM »
Hey, I want to play law school.  Here's my stats:

student-athlete Div. I
gpa 3.47
lsat 153
Professional Hockey 2 years
good community work
solid references

What law schools or rankings could I apply to with these numbers and experience?  Do you think I can exploit the professional athlete thing to sneak into a top school?  Ever heard of an athlete who has? Thanks for any advis, merci

Report to moderator    24.77.26.68 

ChlorasepticRelief

• Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Pro Athletes Wanting to Play Law
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 06:13:12 AM »

student-athlete Div. I
gpa 3.47
lsat 153
good community work
solid references

What law schools or rankings could I apply to with these numbers and experience?  Do you think I can exploit the professional athlete thing to sneak into a top school?  Ever heard of an athlete who has? Thanks for any advis, merci

I can't recall it having been done before, so I can't tell you for sure. However, my guess is that your hockey experience won't help you move up the ladder very much...  but then again you could have a great shot at yale for all i know ;D

good luck

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 11:40:29 AM »

student-athlete Div. I
gpa 3.47
lsat 153
good community work
solid references

I don't know about your chances, but what hockey team did you play for?

Lucky77

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 12:28:04 PM »
I'll be interested to hear how you do. I think if you scored anywhere from a 165 up you'd be gold almost anywhere (assuming you played in the NHL). But with your LSAT, its hard to say. School's will be dying to admit you, assuming you are a good writer, but your numbers will make the top schools cringe. It's a long shot.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 12:30:56 PM »
Chris Collinsworth played for the Cincinnati Bengals and attended the Univ of Cincinnati law school.

rover

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 01:47:04 PM »
Hey thanks for all the replies, skeptical ones included!  Yeah, just a minor leaguer :-\ but I want to go to law school nonetheless.  Cool to hear about the bengals player moving through law; i hope to do the same.  Looking forward to putting all into the academic environment, no reason to sacrifice anymore.  I suppose I'm not going to run into many pro. athletes on this board so i cannot expect to get good inside info.  I appreciate the thoughts though!
Thanks, look forward to putting in my apps alongside all yours.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 05:57:30 PM »
Hey thanks for all the replies, skeptical ones included!  Yeah, just a minor leaguer :-\ but I want to go to law school nonetheless.  Cool to hear about the bengals player moving through law; i hope to do the same.  Looking forward to putting all into the academic environment, no reason to sacrifice anymore.  I suppose I'm not going to run into many pro. athletes on this board so i cannot expect to get good inside info.  I appreciate the thoughts though!
Thanks, look forward to putting in my apps alongside all yours.

FWIW, I think it's a major plus to have played a professional sport.  Your soft factors are very strong.  I think you'll do better if you apply to schools in the city you played in, or at your alma mater.  If your alma mater has a law school, I'd give it a shot.

RUSewCrazy

• 2.6/163
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 06:07:20 PM »
My school supposedly has a professional baseball player, from the minor leagues I think. I have no idea who it is but they (administration) made a big deal about it at orientation.

My guess is your professional sports background will be seen by admissions committees as something interesting that could differentiate you from someone with similar numbers. If you get an ad comm that really likes hockey, well then maybe all the better.

Good luck with your apps.

I love hockey. I'm totally bummed because I'm not in a town (or state) that has hockey. We don't even get OLN, so no hockey on TV! :( I'm just waiting until I can go home for Christmas break where I will try to go to a few games. Go Lightning (sorry Calgary  ;)  )

-aimee

kaest4

• If your ship hasn't come in, Swim out to IT.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 06:08:57 PM »
Are you looking at going into sports law or just law in general? If you were to specialize- you would have an advantage being a hockey player with contacts and such.

Good Luck with what you decide.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 09:26:09 PM »
Jay Bilas went to Duke Law.  I'm pretty sure he played pro in Europe after playing for Duke as an undergrad