Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Throw me a Line  (Read 1141 times)

rover

• View Profile
Throw me a Line
« on: October 15, 2005, 11:52:59 PM »
Hey, I want to play law school.  Here's my stats:

student-athlete Div. I
gpa 3.47
lsat 153
Professional Hockey 2 years
good community work
solid references

What law schools should I apply to with these numbers and experience?  Do you think I can exploit the professional athlete thing to sneak into top school?  Ever heard of an athlete who has? Thanks for any advis, merci

The Overman

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am the lightning, I am the frenzy.
    • View Profile
Re: Throw me a Line
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 04:59:04 PM »
With those numbers you'll have a hard time getting into any Canadian law schools.  While being a pro athlete might help you a little, it certainly won't work any wonders.  You have a good shot at the third and fourth tier in the US though.

B

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 08:22:11 PM »
Windsor. Maybe. But even that is not for sure. It will be difficult (impossible?) to go anywhere else that I can think of with your LSAT score .. but if you can improve it even 5-6 points it may open a lot of doors for you.

atlasonfire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 01:18:16 AM »
Hey, I want to play law school.  Here's my stats:

student-athlete Div. I
gpa 3.47
lsat 153
Professional Hockey 2 years
good community work
solid references

What law schools should I apply to with these numbers and experience?  Do you think I can exploit the professional athlete thing to sneak into top school?  Ever heard of an athlete who has? Thanks for any advis, merci

Actually rover, I think you have an excellent chance of getting accepted into a Canadian school. 

Schools like Calgary, Ottawa, and Windsor thrive on candidates like you.  I know that Calgary has had professional athletes attend in previous years.  A few years back, the police chief even attended LS.  All three schools try to bring students with varied backgrounds into their school. 

Don't be discouraged by the replies you get.  Your best course of action is to contact the schools and see what they say.  I'd be surprised if they didn't react positively to your athletic background.

Good luck!

rover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 08:48:34 PM »
]

Actually rover, I think you have an excellent chance of getting accepted into a Canadian school. 

Schools like Calgary, Ottawa, and Windsor thrive on candidates like you.  I know that Calgary has had professional athletes attend in previous years.  A few years back, the police chief even attended LS.  All three schools try to bring students with varied backgrounds into their school. 

Don't be discouraged by the replies you get.  Your best course of action is to contact the schools and see what they say.  I'd be surprised if they didn't react positively to your athletic background.

Good luck!

Thanks for the positive vibes 'atlasonfire'. I was surprised to see this thread show up again!  It was last october when i originially brought up my case.  Since then things have happened.  I've applied to a whole bunch of american and canadian schools.  So far I've received 4 replies.  Thomas Cooely - accepted with 50% scholarship, Ave Maria - accepted, Syracuse (95th USNR) - accepted, and George Washington - Dinged.  Of course I expected the ding at GW.  So schools ARE accepting a Professional Athletic background.  Canadian schools are still unknown yet.  I've applied to Calgary, Windsor and Manitoba.  Manitoba under special consideration.  Oh yeah, Mcgill too, but that's a stretch.  However, I do like my chances there with a professinal athlete background.  It does help!  Applying to law school is an interesting process isn't it?!

Good luck with your pursuits.

[/quote]

Shady Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 04:43:44 PM »
I think your app is looking pretty good. Get a solid personal statement, talk up how varsity sports work ethic, team work, etc. I would agree with trying to boost your LSAT though. Statistics show that most people do better on round two!
Eyes on the prize. And it ain't BIGLAW.