Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What books do you recommend? What helped you?  (Read 714 times)

johndavies

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What books do you recommend? What helped you?
« on: October 15, 2005, 01:20:20 AM »
I want to go to Border's books tomorrow and buy a few LSAT books. Which ones do you guys recommend that really helped you?

Thanks guys!!!  :D

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
Re: What books do you recommend? What helped you?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 02:17:27 AM »
10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests - Older tests that are ok for practice but different than current tests
10 More Actual LSAT PrepTests - More like current tests, some of the question types aren't in use
The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests - Very similar to recent tests, a few extinct question types
PrepTests 39-47 - a must

The Big Fat Genius Guide to LSAT Logic Games
http://www.bigfatgenius.com/Logic_games_book.htm

Definitely cannot be obtained at Borders.  One of the best books on Logic Games strategy...simple, straightforward - cannot be beat.

The Official LSAT SuperPrep
http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=3293152559179&isbn=0942639936

Three February LSATs with explanations from LSAC about every question.  Plus 30-40 pages about the different question types.

coda0092

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 10:29:24 PM »
i only used books...

i think the best thing for you to do is flip through a couple to see what works for you style wise... i got the princeton review books... they did not help me much

i found that Nova's "Master the LSAT" was the best for me.  they have a CD ROM version, they claimed that it would work on Mac. OS/X ... but it did not work on Tiger.  ..

anyways, good luck with everything

Boston Boy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 11:27:04 PM »
How does the genious guide compare to the LGB?

10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests - Older tests that are ok for practice but different than current tests
10 More Actual LSAT PrepTests - More like current tests, some of the question types aren't in use
The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests - Very similar to recent tests, a few extinct question types
PrepTests 39-47 - a must

The Big Fat Genius Guide to LSAT Logic Games
http://www.bigfatgenius.com/Logic_games_book.htm

Definitely cannot be obtained at Borders.  One of the best books on Logic Games strategy...simple, straightforward - cannot be beat.

The Official LSAT SuperPrep
http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=3293152559179&isbn=0942639936

Three February LSATs with explanations from LSAC about every question.  Plus 30-40 pages about the different question types.

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 09:20:02 AM »
How does the genious guide compare to the LGB?

I've only skimmed the LGB, so the best I can give you is a review.  It's about 200 pages and uses 12 games for practice.  It is well written, reinforces the concepts taught and I found it very engaging (which I cannot say about most LSAT books).  The author stresses that there's no "right" diagram just what works for you.  He emphasizes diagramming based on the variable that changes least.  He strongly de-emphasizes deductions but does discuss them and where he feels they might be appropriate - his thought is that most of the time you figure out what you need to know as you work through the questions while making unnecesary deductions costs time.  There is also a specific order to answering questions and choosing games which makes a great deal of sense, especially if a person cannot complete all of the games.  The book is broken into beginning, intermediate, and advanced techniques, which build on one another; you could manage games using any level of technique.  Each game is thouroughly reviewed using the books techniques.  At $35 with s&h it's a bit cheaper than LGB.

I used the book after 2.5 months of LSAT preparation and probably 200+ games under my belt...I still found useful information.  The book outlined methods that it took me those months to develop/figure out on my own.  The only thing it didn't teach are those mystical moments when you look at a game and know exactly how it's going to play out or when you look at a question and just know the right answer without thinking about it. 

SCgrad

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 09:28:50 AM »
I want to go to Border's books tomorrow and buy a few LSAT books. Which ones do you guys recommend that really helped you?

The Little Engine That Could... You know, for motivation and whatnot.

Boston Boy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 10:29:24 AM »
Hehehe! ;D

The Little Engine That Could... You know, for motivation and whatnot.

iyl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 08:15:03 PM »
Logical Reasoning Bible
Logic Games Bible

They probably won't be at Borders.  They're made by Powerscore.  Order them online, either from Powerscore or (I believe) from Barnes & Noble online.  Forget the other books--these are all you will need.

Agreed, but I'd get them from Amazon since they qualify for free shipping and handling. The LRB helped me SO much, even though I already took the Testmasters course a year ago. I don't plan on getting the Logic Games bible, but if you haven't taken a course or have no clue on how to set the games up, I'd get it.

kasper11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 11:15:06 PM »
So far I am finding Nova's Master the LSAT to be very helpful. My weakest section is RC, and their section on it has been good for me.

You will definately want to buy one or two of the actual LSAT books from LSAC. Nothing will get you prepared better than taking actual tests.
GPA: 2.15 (3.29 after 3 years off and transferring)
LSAT: 175

John Galt

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 11:20:28 PM »
anything that emphasizes the use of venn diagrams for games :) Very, very helpful.

bleh, not really. Read the NYTimes editorials, pick up the two bibles, get a private tutor, and call it a day.