Law School Discussion

personal statement topic advice

personal statement topic advice
« on: October 14, 2005, 10:42:45 AM »
I'm in the midst of finishing up my PS, and would like some opinions. I was a Division 1 collegiate tennis player, and my PS has centered around this. I have discussed what I have gained from athletics in terms of time management and determination, how it was applied to my studies, and how it will be applied to law school. First, is this something ad comms want to hear about? And second, is it favorable to be creative in your writing in an attempt to make yourself standout and break through the clutter, or would school's rather see you be more direct. Thanks in advance for answers.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: personal statement topic advice
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 11:14:05 AM »
I think athletics, like most topics, are fine if done well. 

And I would guess that "creative" PSes aren't a great idea, but PSes that flow well and are pleasant to read are a good idea.

That's my fairly dull $.02.

jeb240

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 11:44:35 AM »
Yeah, I think you can write an interesting and well-written story without stepping too far out of the box, you know?  I mean, save your fancy footwork for once you're already in, you know?  ;)

I will say that the impression I've gotten from various (and spurious) sources is that law schools don't want to hear what you think will help you in law school or what have you because you have no idea what it's like.  Even if you do have a great idea of what's it's like, they aren't going to assume that you do and they might take a defensive stance to such an essay.

But otherwise I like the idea.  But I feel like you should avoid talking about the ball.  I feel like the ball as a focal point is overly used in sports essays.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 11:56:41 AM »
Could you explain what you mean by the ball? I think I have some idea what your taking about, but could you clarify so I'm not making a mistake. Thanks.

jeb240

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 12:34:59 PM »
The ball, the tennis ball.  In almost all "sports" type school essays I've seen, the ball has been the conduit for telling the story.  There seems to be this Cult of the Ball, almost.

So if you can write your essay without talking about the ball, I think you'll have a more novel essay.

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 12:44:22 PM »
Ah, yes thats what I thought. No, I'm not a member of the Ball cult -- thank God.