Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Involved in a lawsuit  (Read 408 times)

toinore

• View Profile
Involved in a lawsuit
« on: October 13, 2005, 07:05:39 PM »
Ok, have a problem/question that I think is pretty unique, but maybe someone out there can provide me with some feedback. 

Without going into too many of the details, my ex-boss is suing me (and about 9 other people) for some really ridiculous charges.  She is completely deranged, and unfortunately, her husband is a lawyer so she is able to basically sue anyone she feels like without incurring legal fees (or working with an attorney who might actually give her advice based on the law).  One of the claims against me is Breach of Fiduciary Duty...which is ridiculous because I was never a fiduciary of her company (I worked for one year as an administrative assistant). Additionally she originally filed a police report saying things were stolen; however, when the cops followed up with her, she couldn't name anything that was allegedly stolen so she claimed someone broke back in and replaced everything. (Because that happens SO often.) At this point, the cops said they might bring charges against her for filing a flase police report.  Although I know that none of these charges will be substantiated in court as NONE of them happened, I am still wondering how to deal with them in the context of my applications.

Based on most of the questions on the applications, I can check the "No" boxes...however, should I prepare an addendum addressing this lawsuit, or just leave it alone?  I certainly don't want to get in trouble with the Bar later on, but I don't want to jeopardize my applications by providing information that they didn't ask for in the first place.  Also, this lawsuit further solidified my interest in going to law school, so perhaps it is worth mentioning?  And lastly, should I contact the State Bar Association and just check to make sure that I will not have any problems later on?

Advice?  Comments?

Over The Hill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Involved in a lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 07:40:53 PM »
Ok, have a problem/question that I think is pretty unique, but maybe someone out there can provide me with some feedback. 

Without going into too many of the details, my ex-boss is suing me (and about 9 other people) for some really ridiculous charges.  She is completely deranged, and unfortunately, her husband is a lawyer so she is able to basically sue anyone she feels like without incurring legal fees (or working with an attorney who might actually give her advice based on the law).  One of the claims against me is Breach of Fiduciary Duty...which is ridiculous because I was never a fiduciary of her company (I worked for one year as an administrative assistant). Additionally she originally filed a police report saying things were stolen; however, when the cops followed up with her, she couldn't name anything that was allegedly stolen so she claimed someone broke back in and replaced everything. (Because that happens SO often.) At this point, the cops said they might bring charges against her for filing a flase police report.  Although I know that none of these charges will be substantiated in court as NONE of them happened, I am still wondering how to deal with them in the context of my applications.

Based on most of the questions on the applications, I can check the "No" boxes...however, should I prepare an addendum addressing this lawsuit, or just leave it alone?  I certainly don't want to get in trouble with the Bar later on, but I don't want to jeopardize my applications by providing information that they didn't ask for in the first place.  Also, this lawsuit further solidified my interest in going to law school, so perhaps it is worth mentioning?  And lastly, should I contact the State Bar Association and just check to make sure that I will not have any problems later on?

Advice?  Comments?

I'm pretty sure that won't be a problem. Unless they ask you if you've ever been the defendant in a civil suit, I don't think it's necessary to include that information. A friend of mine got sued by his downstairs neighbor (for $50,000,000, no sh*t) when he was 5 years old because he flushed the toilet and it overflowed, leaking through the floor and ruining a "priceless" photo collection. His neighbor did not win any money, but the legal proceedings and costs were a real pain in the ass for him and his family. I imagine that law schools of all places know that people sue over ridiculous garbage, and if it doesn't ask about it on the app, then they probably don't care whether some nutjob thinks she can win money from you.

If any of the charges filed against you are criminal, then I would definitely explain it in your apps.

SkullTatt

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 08:28:13 PM »
That sucks... both the OP and the 5 year-old.

You need to read the apps of the schools to which you are applying and see if they ask about civil lawsuits. My recollection is many of them don't, but some of them might.

deepthroat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 09:07:06 PM »
This seems hard to believe. Why would someone waste time suing 9 people over nothing? You can claim she's deranged but any defendant can say that. Come on, what did you really do to her?

toinore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 09:19:58 PM »
I realize it sounds hard to believe...but it is the truth. And yes, I know most people say that. :)  It involves starting up a business that is in competition with hers (in CA this is perfectly legal, esp. if you didn't sign a non-compete clause...which are usually not valid anyway unless you are working with intellectual property type of stuff).  Also, most of the claims are just outlandish (see the breach of fiduciary duty example)

Also, the majority of the people being sued have absolutely nothing to do with the new business..ie, never knew it was being started, never worked for it, never spoke to anyone about it, etc. 

An example of the lunacy I am talking about...she put a lien against a piece of property saying that she wanted $10,000 to remove it...however, she had never met the property owner, never met the tenant, didn't know the full address, and had never done any work there.  Yet she wanted the money. I am serious that she is crazy.  (And yes, a competent attorney got the lien removed 2 days after it was filed)

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 11:34:51 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it.  IIRC the applications ask if you've ever been CONVICTED of a crime.  At this point I assume, you haven't.  So don't mention it at all.