Law School Discussion

Low instead of High

KitK

Re: Low instead of High
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 11:22:29 AM »
Though thanks to adcomm's reading, I won't tell you what school I'm hoping for specifically, I will tell you that though I'm applying to almost all the T14, my number 1 choice is not the highest ranked of those I am applying to.

Well, if your first choice is near the beach... don't forget to bring a towel!

Wanna get hiiiiigh?

Haha, I couldn't resist.  :D Towlie is so funny. I once saw a 10-year-old boy wearing a Towlie shirt. He was with his parents. Kind of odd...

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 11:24:26 AM »
Well, if your first choice is near the beach... don't forget to bring a towel!

It's very important to always know where your towel is.

Lucky77

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 01:31:30 PM »
Though thanks to adcomm's reading, I won't tell you what school I'm hoping for specifically, I will tell you that though I'm applying to almost all the T14, my number 1 choice is not the highest ranked of those I am applying to.

Watch out.  Yale's going to read that and you're going to get a big fat yield protect ding.

Trust me, I am not going to get a ding from Yale for yield protection. I'm sure they have much better reasons to ding me..

Too bad, I think they're going to forget to bring a towel =(

jdw112

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 05:15:11 PM »
Apply to your "favorite" schools as well as some prestigious ones. Give yourself options. You can visit schools after you get responses. Your career hangs in the balance. Best of luck.

KitK

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 10:35:52 PM »

Watch out.  Yale's going to read that and you're going to get a big fat yield protect ding.

Trust me, I am not going to get a ding from Yale for yield protection. I'm sure they have much better reasons to ding me..

Too bad, I think they're going to forget to bring a towel =(

Towlie would tell you to aim high!

Lucky77

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 11:35:29 PM »
Yes. Aim high and get high!

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 10:18:32 AM »
If you want to get the best possible firm job or clerkship, you need to go to the best possible school in the region you want to practice.  If you're applying to T14's or the other couple national schools, location is much much less important because you can be only visiting for three years, vs. living in the region/state/city for 8-10 years.

My only caution is that I don't really buy the idea of going to a lower ranked school because you think you'll be more competitive.  Location, happiness, cost of living, and scholarships are good reasons.  Every school has a mix of good and bad students, and the curves are generally tighter and attrition is generally higher as you go down the rankings.

lsdaccount

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 12:05:51 PM »
If you want to get the best possible firm job or clerkship, you need to go to the best possible school in the region you want to practice.  If you're applying to T14's or the other couple national schools, location is much much less important because you can be only visiting for three years, vs. living in the region/state/city for 8-10 years.

My only caution is that I don't really buy the idea of going to a lower ranked school because you think you'll be more competitive.  Location, happiness, cost of living, and scholarships are good reasons.  Every school has a mix of good and bad students, and the curves are generally tighter and attrition is generally higher as you go down the rankings.

My longterm goals don't necessarily involve firms....  In an ideal world, I would make it into the DOJ's honors program and start there.  Clerkships... couldn't hurt, right?

Amazingly, you hit it right on the nose - my reasons for wanting UofH are location, happiness, cost of living, and (hopefully) scholarships. 

From what I can tell, it would be unlikely that I'd get a SCt clerkship after UofH, but state courts are totally do-able.  And it seems that, generally, a clerkship is a clerkship.  Any thoughts?

Clerkships are not equal.  The prestige varies greatly and thus the difficulty of getting an Appellate clerkship and a State clerkship are very different.

DOJ Honors program is damn competitive, but so is getting in after some great clerkships.