Law School Discussion

Low instead of High

12(e)

• Where's your towel?
    • View Profile
Low instead of High
« on: October 12, 2005, 09:41:34 AM »
Is anyone else seriously wanting to go to a school that's ranked lower than others that they can get into?  I'm looking at a school that has a 75th LSAT way below mine, but I really want to go there for various other reasons. 

Please tell me I'm not alone in this.  Am I gong to regret not applying to the more prestigious schools?

Re: Low instead of High
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 09:43:09 AM »
The only way I'd consider a lower ranked school is because it's in my region and they give me a substantial scholarship.

lsdaccount

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 09:43:22 AM »
I have had similar feelings.  I've decided that I will apply to some prestigious schools as well, just so if I decide next December that I want to go to a top school instead of a lower ranked local school, I'll have the option.

You're not crazy, though it may seem to be the case on such a board as this one. 

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 09:48:04 AM »
You're not crazy.  There are lots of reasons to apply to schools that aren't the highest ranked.

I admit I'm applying mostly to highly ranked schools, but not all, and the lowest ranked school I'm applying to is one I'm very serious about.

But if there are highly ranked schools that you're even midly interested in, you can always apply now and have more time and information to make your decision.  It might be worth the application fees to keep your options open.

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 09:51:26 AM »
I'm looking for a balance between quality and location, myself. Just because I might get in somewhere high ranked doesn't mean I'll actually go, although I'll apply if the school is compelling enough.

I'm a nontrad with an SO who loves his job, and I'm relatively fond of where I live. It'll take a good bit of money for me to go to an out of state school, not to mention all my family lives around here.

kbp

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 09:54:58 AM »
Go where you think you'd be happiest.  Don't let the numbers dictate what you do.  Especially if the location of this lower-ranked school is where you want to be after graduating.  Local grads have a pretty easy time of finding a job in their area.

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 10:01:46 AM »
Margee, UH is my first choice too. I've lived in Houston all my life, and the boyfriend teaches in Humble. 

Haven't taken my lsat yet (That's in December, and I'm applying for fall 2007), but I'm expecting good things. I'll probably apply to Texas just because, as well, and also to South Texas (I know I can get in unless something bizarre happens), Baylor and SMU. If the LSAT comes back as good as I expect I'll toss applications towards anybody that looks interesting, especially with fee waivers.

Granted, I'm a nontrad with a low gpa so I'm not sure where I'll get in.Like I said, though: lots of money could tempt me, especially if it were, say, Wake Forest or William and Mary :)

Lucky77

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 10:41:53 AM »
Though thanks to adcomm's reading, I won't tell you what school I'm hoping for specifically, I will tell you that though I'm applying to almost all the T14, my number 1 choice is not the highest ranked of those I am applying to.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 10:43:53 AM »
Though thanks to adcomm's reading, I won't tell you what school I'm hoping for specifically, I will tell you that though I'm applying to almost all the T14, my number 1 choice is not the highest ranked of those I am applying to.

Watch out.  Yale's going to read that and you're going to get a big fat yield protect ding.

practiceboy02

• Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 11:11:13 AM »
My first choice isn't the highest ranked school I'm applying to.  Also, my preferred "safety" is the lowest ranked of all my safeties.