Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Minority or just strange?  (Read 1515 times)

theporpoise6

• View Profile
Minority or just strange?
« on: October 12, 2005, 11:02:38 AM »
Hi everyone, I{m new to the boards and am quite addicted to it after only reading for a few minutes. Please excuse any typos, I´m typing this in Ecuador and the keyboards are funky....

I{m applying within the next few weeks and happen to be an adopted south korean american jewish lesbian....seriously. Will this actually make any difference? My PS is about my strange mix because it has had an impact on my life....but beyond the PS.....any boost from admissions?

I{d appreciate anyones take...especially ppl who are currently in school and have been through the whole, terrible, process of applying...

best
theporpoise

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: Minority or just strange?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 11:05:09 AM »
You should certainly write a diversity statement.

I don't think the fact will help you in and of itself, but if you can articulate the ways in which your identities contribute to your experiences and perspectives, it'll probably go over well.

And it's good to hear about another gay chick on the board.   ;)  Sometimes I feel all alone.

theporpoise6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 05:06:12 PM »
Thanks for the tips, and I´m glad I can provide you with some company!

Random note, but I just read some posts (not on this board) of people who actually lied about their race in order to get URM status. Is that not the most idiotic thing that you´ve ever heard???

Random note, what makes this whole thing so much harder is that my gf and i are applying together and she KICKED MY ASS in the LSATS....I should probably kiss my ass goodbye on these apps no?

Lets just say she has a 179 and a 3.85......kill me

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 05:12:02 PM »
Random note, what makes this whole thing so much harder is that my gf and i are applying together and she KICKED MY ASS in the LSATS....I should probably kiss my ass goodbye on these apps no?

I'm not a lesbian, but I can relate to your random note. My boyfriend and I are applying together and I guess we were hoping to end up in the same place but he totally slaughtered me on the LSAT. It does make the process more stresful.
Who's your Daddy now?

jdw112

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 05:13:45 PM »
Sugersh will be your replacement: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sugersh

J/K. You guys will be able to keep it together, no matter what. It will take hard work, but if it is worth it....

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 05:14:29 PM »
Wow, applying with an S.O. sounds stressful.  I'm way too competitive to swing that.  ;)

theporpoise6

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 05:17:12 PM »
Yeah my gf and I are doing the whole ¨lets apply to a whole bunch of schools in different cities across the country and see what happens¨....the only really crappy situation I think, in our case, would be if she gets into Yale bc honestly, I¨m not up for Hartford and UCONN. And of course, there is always the matter of me getting into ANY school at all.......

I don´t know about you and your bf, but there is a really really BIG spread between the gf and I. I´m in a bog with a 162 and a 3.6 (which of course isn´t bad by anymeans but for a top 20 or even 30 it may be a stretch)....

What are you 2 doing for the app process? Are you applying to the same schools and crossing your fingers?

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 05:20:21 PM »
Wow, applying with an S.O. sounds stressful.  I'm way too competitive to swing that.  ;)

It has its perks.
Who's your Daddy now?

theporpoise6

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 05:23:36 PM »
oh sweety your numbers ARE DIVINE. Super hardcore.....

Thankfully my gf and I are pretty level headed about the whole LSAT thing......granted she blasted me out of the water..but I scored a good 6-8 pnts lower than on my practice exams and couldnt´retake bc I had to go to Ecuador (where I am now) to teach, strangely enough, english and econ at a university here.

Well hey, you must keep me informed on where you go to school...since we are applying to the same places as you. What 7 sisters school did you go to? my gf and I were at NYU

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 05:24:47 PM »
Yeah my gf and I are doing the whole ¨lets apply to a whole bunch of schools in different cities across the country and see what happens¨....the only really crappy situation I think, in our case, would be if she gets into Yale bc honestly, I¨m not up for Hartford and UCONN. And of course, there is always the matter of me getting into ANY school at all.......

I don´t know about you and your bf, but there is a really really BIG spread between the gf and I. I´m in a bog with a 162 and a 3.6 (which of course isn´t bad by anymeans but for a top 20 or even 30 it may be a stretch)....

What are you 2 doing for the app process? Are you applying to the same schools and crossing your fingers?

Yup, pretty much.

What makes our situation a little more difficult is that we're both dead-set against allowing the other person to go to a certain school just because we're trying to stay together.
Who's your Daddy now?