Law School Discussion

corporate law career

Esq

• View Profile
Re: corporate law career
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 08:46:11 AM »
So are you guys saying that at a non-top school, it would be harder to get a job in corporate law as compared to private practice? Oh and it's not a stupid question b10bwn. I meant to find out which schools have better connections to careers in corporate law as opposed to just preparing you for private practice. But it is kind of stupid to make a post just to say somebody's question is stupid.  :)

I like pointing out stupidity, although since you have clarified yourself here, I retract my comment.  Still, its safe to say that the answer to your question is pretty obvious if you are one to believe USN&WR rankings.  I'm of the belief that where you want to practice is just as important in deciding where to go to school.  Face it, everyone can't get into Yale, and once you get past the top schools, its all about where you want to practice.  I don't think any school prepares you more for corporate or private practice.  After your first year, you tailor the classes around what you are interested in.  Pick a school that is right for you, and if it is not a top school, pick one that has a good rep where you want to be.  If you want to do biglaw in NYC, don't expect to get there by going to St. Mary's.  It's probably not going to happen, but you will probably be able to get a good job in San Antonio, and further away like Dallas and Houston if you do well.

Well, if some graduates of St. Mary's had listened to part of the comment above they wouldn't be partners at Akin Gump in New York (the definition of BIGLAW) and at Verizon Communications (also in New York) and many other firms in New York. Furthermore, I guess there were some people that would have said don't expect to get nominated to be on the U.S. Supreme Court if you go to SMU law school.

lsdaccount

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 08:52:16 AM »
So are you guys saying that at a non-top school, it would be harder to get a job in corporate law as compared to private practice? Oh and it's not a stupid question b10bwn. I meant to find out which schools have better connections to careers in corporate law as opposed to just preparing you for private practice. But it is kind of stupid to make a post just to say somebody's question is stupid.  :)

I like pointing out stupidity, although since you have clarified yourself here, I retract my comment.  Still, its safe to say that the answer to your question is pretty obvious if you are one to believe USN&WR rankings.  I'm of the belief that where you want to practice is just as important in deciding where to go to school.  Face it, everyone can't get into Yale, and once you get past the top schools, its all about where you want to practice.  I don't think any school prepares you more for corporate or private practice.  After your first year, you tailor the classes around what you are interested in.  Pick a school that is right for you, and if it is not a top school, pick one that has a good rep where you want to be.  If you want to do biglaw in NYC, don't expect to get there by going to St. Mary's.  It's probably not going to happen, but you will probably be able to get a good job in San Antonio, and further away like Dallas and Houston if you do well.

Well, if some graduates of St. Mary's had listened to the advice above they wouldn't be partners at Akin Gump in New York (the definition of BIGLAW) and at Verizon Communications (also in New York) and many other firms in New York. Furthermore, I guess there were some people that would have said don't expect to get nominated to be on the U.S. Supreme Court if you go to SMU law school.

All of whom are exceptions to a general rule. 

Also, Akin Gump is not the definition of biglaw, it is not even that prestigious.

Esq

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 08:57:23 AM »
Oh really? Why don't you write them and tell them that. Be sure to put your law school's name on the letter and carbon copy your career services office. Happy job hunting. 

lsdaccount

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 09:16:37 AM »
Oh really? Why don't you write them and tell them that. Be sure to put your law school's name on the letter and carbon copy your career services office. Happy job hunting. 

Whatever, Akin Gump is a big law firm, however it is simply not the best definition of biglaw. 

SCgrad

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 09:37:20 AM »
http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/rankings/businesslaw.html

Apparently, these schools are good:

1. Harvard University 4.7
2. Columbia University 4.5
3. Stanford University 4.4
  University of Chicago 4.4
5. New York University 4.2
6. Yale University 4.1
7. Cornell University 3.9
  University of California, Berkeley 3.9
  University of Pennsylvania 3.9
10. University of Southern California 3.8
11. Northwestern University 3.7
  University of California, Los Angeles 3.7
  University of Texas, Austin 3.7
  University of Virginia 3.7
15. Georgetown University 3.6
  University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign 3.6
  Vanderbilt University 3.6
18. University of Iowa 3.5
  University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 3.5
20. Duke University 3.4
  Fordham University 3.4
  George Mason University 3.4

Wow, this list is remarkably similar to the overall rankings.  I guess if you want to do biz law, you should go to a top school.  I did notice Fordham and GMU tied for 20.  I guess if you want to work in NYC or DC, these schools would be great if you have t1 numbers but not top 20ish.

lsdaccount

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 09:43:06 AM »
Wow, this list is remarkably similar to the overall rankings.  I guess if you want to do biz law, you should go to a top school.  I did notice Fordham and GMU tied for 20.  I guess if you want to work in NYC or DC, these schools would be great if you have t1 numbers but not top 20ish.

This is definitely true that this is the best and most likely way to get into a good corporate law department.

lsdaccount

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 09:49:20 AM »

I just looked back at your posts. 

You are a St. Mary's troll.  Your post in this thread should be deleted.  Nobody take this guy's statement as a way to justify the position that where you go to school won't matter. 

Esq

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 10:01:19 AM »
Biglaw (BIG law) n. 1. A term that implies law firms with national influence and multiple offices including international offices. Generally, these law firms have over 500 employees. For example, Akin, Gump has over 2,000 employees. Akin, Gump would qualify as BIGLAW to nearly everyone in the world except the LSD poster "NOBLE" who does not believe Akin, Gump meets the "best definition" of BIGLAW. Please remember that Noble's opinion is the "exception to the general rule."

lsdaccount

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 10:12:24 AM »
Biglaw (BIG law) n. 1. A term that implies law firms with national influence and multiple offices including international offices. Generally, these law firms have over 500 employees. For example, Akin, Gump has over 2,000 employees. Akin, Gump would qualify as BIGLAW to nearly everyone in the world except the LSD poster "NOBLE" who does not believe Akin, Gump meets the "best definition" of BIGLAW. Please remember that Noble's opinion is the "exception to the general rule."

Whatever guy.  I shouldn't have even said anything.  Good luck getting a biglaw offer. 

Esq

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2005, 10:18:52 AM »
Good luck to you too.