Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: gulc vs gw  (Read 6301 times)

SCgrad

Re: gulc vs gw
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2005, 09:53:09 AM »
As a GW 1L I feel compelled to add to the discussion.
I wanted to go to GULC (like alot of the GW 1L class) but ultimately did not get in. Wanting to be in DC badly, I went to GW.
I was pretty down about going there at first, but I have been nothing but impressed over the last several months. Professors are great, facilities and location are great, opportunities, etc are all much better than expected. Talking to older students, everyone seems very happy w/ their career prospects.
That being said, I'll likely try to transfer to Gtown after this year, largely because it is a better school, although as someone pointed out, it definitely is right on the edge of the ghetto and its location is marginal.
Long story short GW is a great school - much better than I expected - but Gtown is just a bit better.

What does it take to be able to transfer to GULC from GW?  Top 15-20%?  How feasible is that (i.e. how competitive are the students?)?  I would imagine that they would be much more competitive than most schools since they are second-best in their home market, many are prob trying to transfer to GULC, and there aren't enough jobs in DC for both schools.

There are enough jobs in DC for far more than 2 law schools.  That's a fact jack.

King80s

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2005, 09:57:28 AM »
It depends on the specialty and how high you want to go.  I'm a registered patent agent and frequently get calls from IP recruiters.  One recruiter said GW actually places slightly better than Georgetown nationally, though not significantly.  Granted this is for patent attorneys and GW does have a strong IP program.  Obviously, GT is better overall and probably provides a higher upper ceiling in terms of opportunities, but that is not to say GW's lower ceiling is fatal or significantly lower.

I'm not sure where the DC isn't big enough for two law schools argument comes in.  This area is the highest concentration of law schools (GT, GW, GM, UoMD, American, Catholic, UBaltimore, other unnamed) and attorneys.  If that were true, the employment stats at some of those schools would reflect it and both GT and GW would be regional schools given the high number of grads from other Northeast schools (NYC, Boston) coming into the area.

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2005, 12:18:34 PM »
GT, GW, American, George Mason, W&M, W&L, and UVA are all heavy DC feeders

a ton of schools yes (and good ones at that), but apparently the DC market carries a high demand for these grads each and every year

from what i've heard, if you want to break into the DC market, it is much easier to do so from a GT or GW than say a cornell

but this is only hearsay

I wanted to go to GULC (like alot of the GW 1L class) but ultimately did not get in. Wanting to be in DC badly, I went to GW.
I was pretty down about going there at first, but I have been nothing but impressed over the last several months. Professors are great, facilities and location are great, opportunities, etc are all much better than expected. Talking to older students, everyone seems very happy w/ their career prospects.
That being said, I'll likely try to transfer to Gtown after this year, largely because it is a better school, although as someone pointed out, it definitely is right on the edge of the ghetto and its location is marginal.
Long story short GW is a great school - much better than I expected - but Gtown is just a bit better.

What does it take to be able to transfer to GULC from GW?  Top 15-20%?  How feasible is that (i.e. how competitive are the students?)?  I would imagine that they would be much more competitive than most schools since they are second-best in their home market, many are prob trying to transfer to GULC, and there aren't enough jobs in DC for both schools.

There are enough jobs in DC for far more than 2 law schools.  That's a fact jack.
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

Lucky77

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2005, 03:27:04 PM »
To the transfer comment: Georgetown admits more transfers than almost any other law school (I think followed by Columbia). So I don't know how well you have to perform, but its not impossible.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2005, 07:03:59 PM »

There are of course enough jobs in D.C. for more than 2 law schools.  The problem is that GULC and GW are not the only 2 schools putting grads into the city.  There are 4 other schools in the city itself (American, Catholic, Howard, and UDC).  There are 2 more schools in the metropolitan area (GMU and Maryland).  There are 3 other schools in the region that consider D.C. the nearest home base (UVA, W&L, and W&M).  And, finally, many graduates from all the other T14 schools, along with most other T25/T30 schools, are all looking for jobs in D.C.  This means you're probably competing with at least 30 other schools for positions, if not more.

This is why finding work in D.C. is competitive, even if there are many jobs in the area. 

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2005, 07:09:52 PM »

Agreed in the sense that if you're already law review at GW, you won't have any trouble finding biglaw jobs of all stripes in D.C. 

Most lawyers, especially on the east coast, will certainly be aware of GW.  On the other hand, Gtown will probably have an easier time placing you elsewhere in the country, as noted by others.

Whether you consider these schools substantively different probably depends on what factors you find important.  The faculty at Gtown is probably somewhat stronger, and the student body appears to be slightly stronger.  On the other hand, GW may offer a more pleasant learning environment, from what I've heard.

A lot of people who end up going to GW don't even bother transferring to G'Town.  You have to be very concerned about using G'Town's elite status to break into biglaw to transfer, because most people are very happy with GW. 

It's doubtful G'Town is "better" substantively.  Even by USNWR standards, #14 vs. #20 won't have any meaningful difference.  It has a better name that is known in the same way Harvards is that opens some different doors. 

In general, those in the know, i.e., people hiring laywers, know what GW is.   

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2005, 07:43:19 PM »

Agreed in the sense that if you're already law review at GW, you won't have any trouble finding biglaw jobs of all stripes in D.C. 

Most lawyers, especially on the east coast, will certainly be aware of GW.  On the other hand, Gtown will probably have an easier time placing you elsewhere in the country, as noted by others.

Whether you consider these schools substantively different probably depends on what factors you find important.  The faculty at Gtown is probably somewhat stronger, and the student body appears to be slightly stronger.  On the other hand, GW may offer a more pleasant learning environment, from what I've heard.

A lot of people who end up going to GW don't even bother transferring to G'Town.  You have to be very concerned about using G'Town's elite status to break into biglaw to transfer, because most people are very happy with GW. 

It's doubtful G'Town is "better" substantively.  Even by USNWR standards, #14 vs. #20 won't have any meaningful difference.  It has a better name that is known in the same way Harvards is that opens some different doors. 

In general, those in the know, i.e., people hiring laywers, know what GW is.   

GULC has a very nice learning environment.  no one is cutthroat like you hear about in the movies.  nothing like that.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

checkcheck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2005, 09:21:27 PM »
Not to circumvent the debate, but both schools cost an obscene amount of money, given tuition, room, and board.

If money were an issue, a potential applicant would do best to look elsewhere in the T25.

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2005, 03:13:49 PM »
Responding to the transfer question:
I've been told by older GW student's who have tried that you have a shot at a GULC transfer if you are Top 15% and a very good shot if you are top 10%. Thats what they tell me anyway. That being said, someone at GW w/ those numbers will likely have little trouble landing a great job in DC/NY, so transferring to GULC can make sense, and it also cannot, depending on your aspirations.

The school really is not that competitive at all; I thought it would be ruthless for the same reasons, but its not that bad, at least not worse than your typical law school. I hear GULC is fine in that regard as well.

Yes, GW (and GULC) and DC generally, hurt your wallet. Frugal living is a must on a student budget.

SkullTatt

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2005, 04:40:16 PM »
Wait -- which has a food court, GULC or GW??