Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: gulc vs gw  (Read 5984 times)

hansumo

• View Profile
Re: gulc vs gw
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 09:41:07 PM »
Are you sure? I contacted admissions at GW law and they do accept Canadians.

hansumo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 10:07:32 PM »
hey thanks for the insights Saxby! Are you planning on applying to any of the DC schools? I really want to attend an American law school and I want to be in DC if possible. I'm also looking at American and Catholic but my stats will probably not get me into G-town.

another question I have for you is how are you planning to pay for law school?

Yeah, Canadian bacon/ igloos/ Mounties.... we got it all.

Lucky77

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 11:03:44 PM »
Are you sure? I contacted admissions at GW law and they do accept Canadians.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahaha

holy sh*t. I have not laughed that hard in ages.

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2005, 11:16:54 PM »
As a GW 1L I feel compelled to add to the discussion.
I wanted to go to GULC (like alot of the GW 1L class) but ultimately did not get in. Wanting to be in DC badly, I went to GW.
I was pretty down about going there at first, but I have been nothing but impressed over the last several months. Professors are great, facilities and location are great, opportunities, etc are all much better than expected. Talking to older students, everyone seems very happy w/ their career prospects.
That being said, I'll likely try to transfer to Gtown after this year, largely because it is a better school, although as someone pointed out, it definitely is right on the edge of the ghetto and its location is marginal.
Long story short GW is a great school - much better than I expected - but Gtown is just a bit better.

hansumo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 11:36:40 PM »
you bunch of bozos, I didn't just call GW. I've been looking at GW for a long time now and contacted them a while back re: residency issues, etc. Geez, you really can't express yourself properly on these forums. Guess I gotta get used to it!

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2005, 03:52:07 PM »
Substantively, you will likely get the same basic legal education at GW and GULC in my opinion, and any benefits conferred by GULC's location in DC are at least mirrored by GW. The only real difference between the two (going to GW myself and knowing quite a few GULC students and grads) is the name on the degree, which will open more doors and generally help you get interviews with a lesser class rank. Plus, GULC is a brand that carries everywhere, whereas GW is a brandname that carriers extremely well in DC and NY and decently across the country, but not as well as GULC.

macheko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 01:40:22 AM »
Substantively, you will likely get the same basic legal education at GW and GULC in my opinion, and any benefits conferred by GULC's location in DC are at least mirrored by GW. The only real difference between the two (going to GW myself and knowing quite a few GULC students and grads) is the name on the degree, which will open more doors and generally help you get interviews with a lesser class rank. Plus, GULC is a brand that carries everywhere, whereas GW is a brandname that carriers extremely well in DC and NY and decently across the country, but not as well as GULC.

I know the word in DC is that GCLU has a better rep nationally than GW, but I'm from Chicago and New York, and before coming do DC I hadn't heard of either frankly.

SkullTatt

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 09:26:10 AM »
Yeah I live on the West Coast, and I have applied to both schools, but I am concerned that people out here might not know that GW is a top school (or even have heard of it), though I know they will all have heard of Georgetown.

It doesn't help that George Washington's name confuses it with about 8 other law schools (WUSTL, American University Washington College of the Law, Washington and Lee, etc.)

SCgrad

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 09:40:01 AM »
Yeah I live on the West Coast, and I have applied to both schools, but I am concerned that people out here might not know that GW is a top school (or even have heard of it), though I know they will all have heard of Georgetown.

It doesn't help that George Washington's name confuses it with about 8 other law schools (WUSTL, American University Washington College of the Law, Washington and Lee, etc.)

Yeah, I wondered if putting the word "Washington" in your law school name automatically makes it top 30.  I think there are 4 in the top 30.  Can't be a coincidence.

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2005, 09:45:25 AM »
As a GW 1L I feel compelled to add to the discussion.
I wanted to go to GULC (like alot of the GW 1L class) but ultimately did not get in. Wanting to be in DC badly, I went to GW.
I was pretty down about going there at first, but I have been nothing but impressed over the last several months. Professors are great, facilities and location are great, opportunities, etc are all much better than expected. Talking to older students, everyone seems very happy w/ their career prospects.
That being said, I'll likely try to transfer to Gtown after this year, largely because it is a better school, although as someone pointed out, it definitely is right on the edge of the ghetto and its location is marginal.
Long story short GW is a great school - much better than I expected - but Gtown is just a bit better.

What does it take to be able to transfer to GULC from GW?  Top 15-20%?  How feasible is that (i.e. how competitive are the students?)?  I would imagine that they would be much more competitive than most schools since they are second-best in their home market, many are prob trying to transfer to GULC, and there aren't enough jobs in DC for both schools.