Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Princeton Review Ruined ME~!!!!  (Read 954 times)

EbonyNegro

• View Profile
Princeton Review Ruined ME~!!!!
« on: October 08, 2005, 01:40:56 PM »
I took PR on summer of 02 and TM on summer of 03.  It was such a waste of money since I could have just gone to TM instead of even bothering with PR.  PR instructor was a dude who self-proclaimed that he couldn't finish the game or the RC.  I am now guessing that he had about 165.  He would just give us hindsight explanation and just MAKE sh*t UP if people ask him questions.  For example, if E was the answer and D was my choice and if it was a hard question, he would just say, "Yeah D totally works, but E is better....." Or some empty talk along this line.

I believe PR, in 2002, did not classify "justify" problem as a distinct problem.  They mixed it with "assumption" problem and just told us to "link the chain".  They never taught me anything that I couldn't have gotten from buying a Priceton Review LSAT prep book.  These are the things that PR didn't teach me:

1) They didn't teach me the difference between "justify" and "assumption" question.
2) They told me to read the question stem befor the stimulus
3) They told me not to attack the parallel reasoning until the end
4) They said not finishing the lsat is okay
5) They never taught me the negation method or any other  methods.

They gave me a free 1 year substcription of Time and Wallstreet....which was good....but other than that PR sucks.

DON"T GO TO PRINCETION REVIEW

Oh, how did it RUIN me?
I got so cocky after taking PR that I didn't take TM's seriously.  I was like, "yeah yeah yeah..its the same thing as PR."  And I started ditching class finding it boring.  Boy was I stupid.  Only if I took TMs first and paid attention.   

jdw112

Re: Princeton Review Ruined ME~!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 01:46:23 PM »
Though PR's reputation is tattered, I fully agree with this. PR questions eat me alive, vomit me back up, and then make an omelette out of me. Some people have a blast with PR questions  >:(
Sorry to hear about the other stuff.

3) They told me not to attack the parallel reasoning until the end

coda0092

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 02:02:15 PM »
i am actually thinking of switching careers from education to law (after 8 years on the job) ... i remember using princeton review books for my SAT ... i thought they were okay... so, i bought the PR books for the LSAT ... they left me pretty well confused... i think they did a pretty poor job explaining the LR section-- too quick into explaining the diff. types of LR questions and not enough time talking about them globally-- anyways; i am a very good test taker and my first prep test was something like a 149 !!   i think i got 10/25 LR questions correct in both sections, aced games and missed 5 in RC... clearly, i was missing something.

Being an old-timer i dont have time to take a review class so i surveyed the other prep books... i found the Nova book to be especially helpful at getting to the crux of the LR problems ... they went heavily into formal logic (which i had not done since 9th grade) and attacking the problems correctly...  Since then, i have scored an average of 165 on the prep tests, missing only 3-4 LR per section.. i would say a jump from 10/25 correct with PR to 21-22/25 correct is a big jump-- which i credit the other book.

I found the PR books to be a bit "gimmicky"... (i also found this with the SAT books)... i would recommend the other to anyone who is not able to take a course...

just my $ .02

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 04:12:33 PM »
I also took the Princeton Review course and because my Pre-Law advisor said that it was recommended by the students he has helped. So, I gave up Powerscore for Princeton Review. I also found the way they explained the LR and RC to be dull and not helpful at all. The only thing that I can thank them for is for the Logical Games section. You know what, I do not thank them but my instructor for LG. Thankfully I got the Powerscore LR Bible about 3 weeks before the test and that helped me out so much.

In the end, if i really hated somebody I would recommend them to take PR but if I really liked somebody then I would recommend Powerscore. I even told the PR guy that they only helped me out on the LG and Powerscore helped me with the LR.

Highest score at PR: 154
Highest score w/Powerscore Bible: 163
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

lalalalola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 04:34:46 PM »
To be honest, I think princeton review helped me alot.  I've had a 20 point improvement on my preptests. From 153-173.  I think it all depends on your INSTRUCTOR. 

My instructor told the class that IF we have a hard time with parallels, then do those last.  Also, IF it helps us, read the stem first.  We even had an entire drill where we read the stem for 1/2 the questions and read the stimulus for the other 1/2 to see which helps us.  And the negation test was thorougly explained. 

I'm not trying to dispel your experiences, but in my case it worked, and I highly recommend it.  Just
trying to give the other half of the story.   ;)

theunderdog

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 05:37:05 PM »
Is that you Garkunkle?  Certainly reads like you.

RocketBot

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 05:53:36 PM »
Princeton Review is terrible.  Their approach tries to speak to you on this immature, slacker level.  Like:  "YO listen, this LSAT thing is so wack, it doesn't show true starz n' shiz.  But hey listenz here, I gotz some tips for ya.  My dealer joe bloggz caint take these tests for shiz, so dun do wut he duz...  AIGHT?"

I took them as prep for the SAT.  The only reason I improved was because I had a good instructor (and I studied on my own), but it was the same deal.  If you're a reasonably intelligent human being, take Powerscore, TestMasters, or at least Kaplan.  Princeton Reviews "methods" are laughable and time consuming, and their lack of respect for the process is incredibly immature. ;D

EbonyNegro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 09:47:56 PM »
Is that you Garkunkle?  Certainly reads like you.

I am no longer garkunkle.  That part of me is dead.  I will not look back...just forward.  lalalola is a troll.  153 ro 173 hahahaaha.  You are funny man.  Just get out of here.

lalalalola

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 09:55:15 PM »
don't blame anyone for your petulance, GARK!!

EbonyNegro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 10:00:16 PM »
don't blame anyone for your petulance, GARK!!

My petulance?  You are funny man. 

Look, you only got 4 posts, yet you know who I am.  That means that you have a multiple account.  There is no way someone with 4 posts can know me since I have been gone for a week (suspension). 

153~173??  You are nuts.  I mean...don't you think its stupid for you to just come here and argue against the vast majority of people who know that PR sucks? 

You are a systematic dissenter.  Dude, it doesn't make you look any smarter.

What if TM gave you 27 point improvement???  Then is TM better than PR?  Without knowing anything about TM, you defend PR soley on the grounds that you improved 20 points.  Give me a break you troll. 

JUST GET OUT OF HERE~!