Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what do law schools want on resumes?  (Read 522 times)

mol666

• View Profile
    • Email
what do law schools want on resumes?
« on: October 08, 2005, 12:42:47 PM »
hey there -- I'm looking for tips on how to set up my resume for law school applications.  I'm a nontrad, in my 30's, lots of work experience.

Do law schools want individual projects on resumes?  I tried starting up some little magazines/newsletters in the past, but these faded away.

How important is volunteer experience?  Was thinking about doing some local political work, but this would only show up on my resume as of this October, and I want to apply for 2006.

all advice is appreciated.  thanks!

jdw112

Re: what do law schools want on resumes?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 12:45:59 PM »
You could do the political work, but don't expect it to save the day. If you have not volunteered by now......

hey there -- I'm looking for tips on how to set up my resume for law school applications.  I'm a nontrad, in my 30's, lots of work experience.

Do law schools want individual projects on resumes?  I tried starting up some little magazines/newsletters in the past, but these faded away.

How important is volunteer experience?  Was thinking about doing some local political work, but this would only show up on my resume as of this October, and I want to apply for 2006.

all advice is appreciated.  thanks!

mol666

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 01:04:33 PM »
would they want things like working on a film crew, or being on the editorial staff of magazines -- I mean, what exactly do law schools want on a resume?  Besides work experience?  I was always raised in the school that you don't put personal hobbies and interests on a resume, I'm wondering if it has to be different in this case.

thanks!

winstonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »
I would put anything that you have spent significant time doing. It doesnt matter much what you were doing but showing that you have put a commitment over time to something/s in particular would be more helpful than having a bunch of little things that didnt last very long. I would shy away from putting anything on your resume that you just started as it may come across as opportunistic.

jeb240

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 01:59:58 PM »
If you're registered for the LSDAS, I recommend pulling up the UTexas application.  They provide a fairly long list of what they want to see on your resume -- it may be going above and beyond what all schools want, but I imagine it probably includes what every school wants individually.  Throw into that mentioning the Hrs/Wk at each job/activity/organization.

Being so much older than the average applicant, I imagine (but do not know) that 1) law schools are probably going to expect a longer resume from you and 2) that volunteer activities are not so much an issue.  I think volunteer/community service activities matter for college kids since, for many of us (not including me and not all, obviously), during our college years we don't have much to do besides school, so we *should* at least be carving out sometime each week to give back to the community.  But I really, again, do not know and perhaps this is a question best left for the non-trad board?

coda0092

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 02:07:58 PM »
this is a solid question!

i am also in your situation-- applying after eight years of teaching-- i dont really have any answers here but i am going to focus on my work experience, my MA...

here are two questions:

if i have five years as a vol. firefighter/medic in my town-- is that solid material as a "volunteer" or merely "hobby"

should i list some UG things i did (student council executive) so they have a fair basis to compare me to others coming straight from UG?

thanks!

jeb240

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 02:59:28 PM »
To be certain, I did say "for many of us (not including me and not all, obviously)..."

I could explain what I meant by that, but it seems perfectly self-explanatory (especially given the context in which I'm quoting it).

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 03:11:21 PM »
I'm ten years out of school myself, and I've been pondering this as well.

I would definitely list everything, to be honest. School stuff of import, volunteer, work, hobbies...

My stuff from undergrad looks fabulous on paper, so it definitely goes in. It was pretty much all on campus, outside of the internships and the exchange. After I graduated, there's a period where it's pretty dull outside of some work with online stuff (and a terrible attempt at grad school), and then it picks up again when I finally got a REAL job and had the means to actually do volunteer work and gain good experience.

You can spin a resume. Spin it to make yourself look as good and interesting as possible.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

jeb240

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 04:24:17 PM »
I threw in the kitchen sink in mine because I wanted it to be viewed as support for the claims I made about myself in my personal statement. All of the documents I'm submitting are integrated. If I left out a detail in my essays that I want the law schools to know, it's in the resume.

Exactly.  Your application is an argument, and you need all the supporting points you can gather to make your case.