Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Michigan-Are You Freakin Kiddin Me?  (Read 1245 times)

NYBound05

University of Michigan-Are You Freakin Kiddin Me?
« on: June 30, 2004, 10:03:22 PM »
I was initially planning on applying to Michigan law school this Fall, until I found out some very disturbing information...

I read that about two weeks after college graduation, 1L students are required to enroll in classes for the summer. The course load is lighter, and less classes are required than for Fall classes.

I don't see the point in this.  It's not like students will have a head up over their fellow classmates, because this program is required for ALL students. 

Talk about burnout.  Has anyone else heard about this?  If this is indeed true, I may reconsider applying there. Do any other schools do this??

barchk

• View Profile
Re: University of Michigan-Are You Freakin Kiddin Me?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 10:11:11 PM »
Your information is a little off.  Michigan offers a summer start program (which you must apply for) where students take first semester courses over the summer prior to 1L.  This is completely optional.  I am starting in the fall and will not be arriving on campus until late August.  The advantage to summer start is not only do you begin your classes when the campus is quiet and not so stressful, but you have the opportunity to graduate a semester early or take a semester off to study abroad, do an internship, etc.  For more go to law.umich.edu

NYBound05

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 10:18:11 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  :)

Your information is a little off.  Michigan offers a summer start program (which you must apply for) where students take first semester courses over the summer prior to 1L.  This is completely optional.  I am starting in the fall and will not be arriving on campus until late August.  The advantage to summer start is not only do you begin your classes when the campus is quiet and not so stressful, but you have the opportunity to graduate a semester early or take a semester off to study abroad, do an internship, etc.  For more go to law.umich.edu

Duner

• MSN Messenger - jkorduner@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LSUConnMan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jkorduner
    • View Profile
    • Duner's LSU Law Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 09:21:54 PM »
a lot of schools have those summer start programs....typically they're used to justify admission of less qualified urms. in which case, certain students are required to take the summer classes and unconditional admittance is predicated on the summer grades. 

lexylit

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 11:01:55 PM »
i read somewhere that its a pull and a lot of kids who do it, love it...

we had sophomore summer at dartmouth (all students take classes during summer after soph year) and it's pretty much the best summer of everyones life, so who knows