Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody thought of waiting a year?  (Read 1109 times)

snikrep

Anybody thought of waiting a year?
« on: October 07, 2005, 06:44:45 PM »
I'm fairly sure I got around 10 questions wrong, plus or minus 1 or 2, which would put me anywhere from around a 166 to a 172 depending on the scale and how lucky I am.  I know that's not a bad score, but my perfectionism is crying out in agony, heh.

I'm contemplating cancelling and retaking next June, I don't have any time to study this semester, but my last semester (the one before June) I only have to take one 2-credit class.  I'm also planning on taking the Patent Examiner test at that time which will require a TON of studying which should actually help me on the LSAT stuff (it involves lots of reading of really dense material, perfect!!).  I also really struggled with the test time (morning), having it after noon would be a huge plus.

Obviously every situation is different, I'm still not 100% sure I even want to go to law school - and getting out and working for a year might help me decide.  Anybody else in a similar boat?

r.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey psycho stalker spy!
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody thought of waiting a year?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 06:51:12 PM »
I'm fairly sure I got around 10 questions wrong, plus or minus 1 or 2, which would put me anywhere from around a 166 to a 172 depending on the scale and how lucky I am.  I know that's not a bad score, but my perfectionism is crying out in agony, heh.

I'm contemplating cancelling and retaking next June, I don't have any time to study this semester, but my last semester (the one before June) I only have to take one 2-credit class.  I'm also planning on taking the Patent Examiner test at that time which will require a TON of studying which should actually help me on the LSAT stuff (it involves lots of reading of really dense material, perfect!!).  I also really struggled with the test time (morning), having it after noon would be a huge plus.

Obviously every situation is different, I'm still not 100% sure I even want to go to law school - and getting out and working for a year might help me decide.  Anybody else in a similar boat?

I don't think there is anyway a -12 = 166 on this test. Not a chance. SO I think your expected score floor is far too low. I'd wager a -12 will be 169, at worst a 168.
And if you felt like you did poorly and confirmed it with the consensus, then fine. But if you thought you did well and are unsure now because of consensus, I would say definitely wait.
Byron's Don Juan:  Booker T. Washington Elementary School
Milton's Paradise Lost: Middle School

The Flying

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 10:30:28 PM »
VA,

My situation is similar to yours. Based on the consensus, I got 6 wrong AND I don't rember answers to 3 Qs... (4 wrong are all on the reading comprehension).

I finally decided not to cancel my score, b/c I exhausted all my prep material, studied for the test for a very very long time, quit two jobs, and got sick and tired of the piece of sh*t test. In the worst case scenario, I'll go for M.A. first and go for J.D. later--I always wanted an M.A. in finance.

My advice (whether you needed or not): If you know you can prepare for the June test and do better than on this test, cancel and retake in June. Higher score is always better. However, if you are not completely sure you got answers wrong, and there's a solid chance you'll make 170+, then is there a point to cancel your score? Also, consider if you really *need* a higher score. Perhaps, you GPA and other factors can offset a lower score, and you'll still get into one of your top-choice schools, like UVA lol. Also, do you really want to put yourself through the preparation and taking this test? In any case, good luck!
3.86/172 and a good LS karma

snikrep

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 12:13:39 AM »
Good point... I think looking at Harvard's new numbers where a 170 is their 25th percentile got me a little depressed, not that I would necessarily even go to Harvard if I got in, but at least it makes me feel like my grass is a LOT less green.

I'll probably keep it, there's a reasonable chance I hit 170 which would be good.  A 168 would be kind of embarrassing, but I can live with it (it's only 4 more than my second practice test, I did 21 practice tests for what..? lol).

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 12:17:27 AM »

Different situation in my case, but I took a year off before starting law school and believe it to be the right decision. If you are not entirely sure that you want to go to law school, def take the year off.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

jb1246a

• Sr. Citizen
  • pandatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 12:25:48 AM »
Good point... I think looking at Harvard's new numbers where a 170 is their 25th percentile got me a little depressed, not that I would necessarily even go to Harvard if I got in, but at least it makes me feel like my grass is a LOT less green.

I'll probably keep it, there's a reasonable chance I hit 170 which would be good.  A 168 would be kind of embarrassing, but I can live with it (it's only 4 more than my second practice test, I did 21 practice tests for what..? lol).

yea, i understand your situation. perfectionism is a tough demon to beat.i haven't scored below the mid 170s since july, but i'm hovering around 8 wrong (5 LR and 3 possible RC) at the worst case scenario. i'm hoping that will be good enough for a 170, which would be fine. i just want to go to NYU, anyway. if i get below the high 160s for some reason, i'm planning to try for fordham then transfer after 1L. i really don't want to retake this test b/c i don't know how much practice will help me. formal/conditional logic are my strengths, but this test seemed to have a dearth of those types of problems. i wondered if i could have scored better if i slept for more than four hours/didn't have that horrible thing that happens to women once a month/was less nervous for the first section. besides those minor inconveniences, i did the best i could. and i think i'm okay with that.

snikrep

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 12:26:23 AM »
bruin04 - was the scholarship you got from UVA merit based, or need-based?  Just curious, and congrats on your choice :P.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 11:11:33 AM »
I was going to take it in October but rescheduled for February at the last minute. I had practiced, but not enough. And I hadn't taken a class. I figure that every extra point increases my chances for admission to a good school and for scholarships, so waiting a year is definitely worth it.
Georgetown

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 11:42:16 AM »
bruin04 - was the scholarship you got from UVA merit based, or need-based?  Just curious, and congrats on your choice :P.

Merit, I don't think they give eed-based grants/scholarships anymore. and thanks.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

meh

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 11:56:07 AM »
Is it conceivable to wait for your score on this one, and if you didn't do as well as you liked, take the test again in December and still apply for Fall 06?